• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Regarding OBD tool usage

Nipun Maitipe

Hello everyone. I have a 1997 Corolla AE110 XE Saloon. I purchased an OBD2 diagnosis tool and i also had to buy a OBD1 to OBD2 converter to connect it. When i connected the OBD2 tool with the Torque app,it says that ECU not connected. Can some say why? Can i fix this? If anyone can give me more info plz drop a email or a reply (email address removed for privacy)

1597481574417830740553134905777.jpg

Edited by Davy
Email address removed for privacy

Hi Nipun, welcome to the forum.

These cheap ELM327-like OBD scanners are a hit or miss because different scanners support different communication protocols. On top of that, since you have the OBD to OBD II converter, the data stream it outputs might not be compatible with your OBD II scanner. 

Which app/software are you using?

And do you have specs of the OBD to OBD II converter and the OBD II scanner itself?

Edited by Davy
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sometimes in older gen cars you need specialized software to read.

I had a BJ5P which didnt have the odb2 plug like yours. Most of these cars are running obd2 protocols but dont have ports.

I had to use an app called FORscan to get it working, never worked with torque or any other app.

Maybe there is one specific to Toyota.