• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What to expect from 10 to 15 yr old korean suv,s

Cnj

Dear all,

As 2020, there are lot of 2005to 2010 korean suv 's(petrol and diesl) are on the market with cheap prize tag compare to japanese/european  suv,s.

Much appreciate u guys can give an idea what to expect ,when we are buying those cars, and what are the common issues with those cars.

Thnks .

Interesting question and something I have been weighing also, as a second car. My concerns are ground clearance and big luggage space. Both of which I miss on my Axela. :( Since I am considering it as a second/weekend car, fuel consumption would not be an issue.

My expectation is a cheap 4x4 which can do some mild off roading now and then and can carry loads reliably on long trips. I have seen some old threads on this and found comments from @Crosswind saying that Tucson was a good car. So I have narrowed my scope to a Tucson 2005ish / a Santa Fe on the same era. I have also noticed users claim that these things were super comfy, but this is all 10-15 years back, and comparative to the rides we had back then. 

Have they aged well ? (probably not the interiors). Price wise, I guess they are now at the bottom of the depreciation and doubt the value will drop further, currently going around 2-2.5mn which is attractive. 

Other than that, I still didnt get a chance to test drive one. Lets see what our members come up with. :) 

Edited by GK_007

Thankyou GK_007 

thats what i wanted to know.

Recently i v been looking at the tucson 2007/2008 around 3mil. .i dnt care about the fuel consumption. Hoping to use this at least for 3years. 

Any comments guys??

Cnj,

About your question on Korean vehicles What about Diesel SUV  Rexton, I personalty know my son in-law is using one of them done about 80000 or little more kilometers and  so far no major problems. About two years ago he did a full  tinkering and paint. Costing him close to Rupeed5  about Rupees 400000/=. Agents took 45 days for the job.

For a month his traveling is not more than 700 Kilometers.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I found a santa fe 2008 2.2l 7 seater for around 3.2 mil . Any comments on this suv. Seems aged well interior and the body. Wht abt the machinery part. If anybody can guide me what to look for prior buying this vehicle it ll be great. 

Thankyou guys.

I haven't used a Santa Fe myself. I did some research on this vehicle before buying an Elantra few years ago due to budget constraints. This seems to be a very reliable vehicle. Back then I heard about owners in SL who have done over 150k without any major issues. I suggest going for the 2007 - 2012 model since it seems to be worth the price considering the current market.

13 minutes ago, lkRaven said:

I haven't used a Santa Fe myself. I did some research on this vehicle before buying an Elantra few years ago due to budget constraints. This seems to be a very reliable vehicle. Back then I heard about owners in SL who have done over 150k without any major issues. I suggest going for the 2007 - 2012 model since it seems to be worth the price considering the current market.

Thankyou for the reply .

6 hours ago, DhanaRR said:

Can anyone tell me why Korean vehicles hold less market price compared to Japanese (there is a huge difference). Even if Korean vehicles have more functions and facilities, also manufactured year is relatively newer than the Japanese emoji850.png.

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 Plus using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I used a ssangyong korando for 5 years. Not much to complain. But, compared to a japanese vehicles I have used, the Korean gave issues..like failing door actuators, air bag clock spring, all speakers failed, In General, Ssangyongs are not robust as Japanese counter parts......it may be a different story for Kia and Hyundai

The main reason for the market price difference is the ignorant perception of people. SLs tend to prefer some brands irrespective of the condition of the vehicle leading to higher market price.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, Cnj said:

Hey. I found a santa fe 2008 2.2l 7 seater for around 3.2 mil . Any comments on this suv. Seems aged well interior and the body. Wht abt the machinery part. If anybody can guide me what to look for prior buying this vehicle it ll be great. 

Thankyou guys.

Had a couple, 2010 and 2011 R series CRDi's both of them done over 200k since they were long term rentals.

One of them suffered the lower engine balancer issue. Look out for the switches and some of them peeling off.

Cheap plastic is so easy to get scratch especially around silver covers around the gear stick.

If the car fitted with dual-zone climate, please check if they work correctly (We had issues if I am not mistaken)

Go for R series engine if you could

Looks for suspension, especially in SL, look for leaks from shocks and brake disc wear

Normally they are very reliable and I have sold both of them within a few hours here in NZ. 

regards,

JC

Edited by john cooper

Hi, I am a first owner of a 2005 Tucson - 2.0L, 2WD, AT with 18" rims (16" standard).  Its comfortable for its size and ride height.  Done almost 175K.  No major mechanical or electrical issues/repairs.  Servicing is very cheap.  There is some UV damage to roof rail plastics and of course the plastic headlight lens but the interior has held up well.  No complaints whatsoever overall. 

Bought it for 4.5mil.  I dont think I have lost much for all these years of service to me.