• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sorento 2012 Maintenance

Thyaga

Question

Dear all!

I recently purchased an used Sorento 2012 with a mileage of below 100k. It was previously maintained by AutoMiraj in most cases.

However, with good intentions I made an inspection with Kia Agents. They’ve given me a quotation of 8lakhs for the “suggested repairs”. They even recommended a Transmission Oil change which costs a staggering 80k. 

what I need to know is, what are the recommend garages or maintenance places to get a second look or the repairs done? What should I look out for in the near future?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Thyaga said:

Dear all!

I recently purchased an used Sorento 2012 with a mileage of below 100k. It was previously maintained by AutoMiraj in most cases.

However, with good intentions I made an inspection with Kia Agents. They’ve given me a quotation of 8lakhs for the “suggested repairs”. They even recommended a Transmission Oil change which costs a staggering 80k. 

what I need to know is, what are the recommend garages or maintenance places to get a second look or the repairs done? What should I look out for in the near future?

Like @JayZ mentioned, it would be easier for the members to recommend a place or comment on the prices if the suggested repair items are included.

The transmission oil change costs 80,000 for the Korean SUVs of that era (Sportage and Sorento) at the agents. However, the service interval is every 80,000km as well for the transmission oil change..

17 hours ago, Thyaga said:

. They’ve given me a quotation of 8lakhs for the “suggested repairs”. They even recommended a Transmission Oil change which costs a staggering 80k. 

And I thought D*MO were crooks.

Just curious, would the Abans Hyundai dealership be able to undertake services on the Sorento? 

Do list out your problems more clearly and someone would be able to recommend you a good shop hopefully! 

2 hours ago, AVANTE said:

And I thought D*MO were crooks.

Just curious, would the Abans Hyundai dealership be able to undertake services on the Sorento? 

Do list out your problems more clearly and someone would be able to recommend you a good shop hopefully! 

Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa-fe  are basically the same underneath.  So they might be able to service .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Yes, 2 of my friends got it done at K*A for 80k.. and as I remember the process takes 2 days as well..

Really...... Is it because of any lengthy procedure needed some special tools or any expensive transmission oil or both?

1 hour ago, gayanath said:

Really...... Is it because of any lengthy procedure needed some special tools or any expensive transmission oil or both?

Seems its something to do with the procedure..

UPDATE:

The procedure involves not only changing transmission oil but,  changing differential oil and brake oil as well.  They won't do transmission oil alone as per what my friend said.

So does that justify the price and the time?

Edited by Dee Jay
  • Like 1

KIA agent takes longer to do it because there is a queue and lot of procedures. 

I checked from a place close to pannipitiya (Malabe road) who does Korian and Land Rover vehicle maintenance and they quoted approx 65k for the transmission oil change last year. 

2 hours ago, gayanath said:

Yes, seems like they dismantle the transmission to change the filter. I overheard this when I was in Kia service center. It seems it is same for Kia Picano as well.

I had a chance to chat with a friend of mine who has a 2012 Sorrento. Millage is 120,000 + km now. 

The agent asked him Rs. 100,000 + for transmission oil change. He was told by agent that, need to remove the gearbox to tighten something inside the gearbox as it tends to loosen (this is what he told me....) 

However he decided to do the oil replacement from a place near Gampaha area for Rs. 18,000 (at the millage around 80,000) and running so far. 

On 8/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, JayZ said:

Would you care to share what are those “suggested repairs” which would cost approx 8 lakhs.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:55 PM, Dee Jay said:

Like @JayZ mentioned, it would be easier for the members to recommend a place or comment on the prices if the suggested repair items are included.

The transmission oil change costs 80,000 for the Korean SUVs of that era (Sportage and Sorento) at the agents. However, the service interval is every 80,000km as well for the transmission oil change..

Hi!

Yes they suggested to change engine mounts and bushes which can be understood since a major service to be done at 96k, they suggested to change the turbo charger and when asked why they said it's just precautionary and it can run 20-30k more without an issue. AC vent tabs are broken and they wanted to replace all four vents, they told the right CV joint also needs a replacements. Other than that they suggested to change suspensions on all four wheels. Oh, and a pulley, which they also said is precautionary. 
Then the transmission oil change which I heard takes two days and that they'll be replacing a lot on the transmission unit, so 80k LKR is understandable. 

On 8/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, AVANTE said:

... why do people buy Koreans? To save money? 

I've had Toyota and Honda vehicles before, Well if company maintained they all cost the same from my experience. I'm no expert on vehicles but korean vehicles did impress lot of people over the years. If I was in US or Europe, I think I'd prefer a BMW or an Audi when these ridiculous taxes are no applicable LOL.

12 hours ago, Thyaga said:

Hi!

Yes they suggested to change engine mounts and bushes which can be understood since a major service to be done at 96k, they suggested to change the turbo charger and when asked why they said it's just precautionary and it can run 20-30k more without an issue. AC vent tabs are broken and they wanted to replace all four vents, they told the right CV joint also needs a replacements. Other than that they suggested to change suspensions on all four wheels. Oh, and a pulley, which they also said is precautionary. 
Then the transmission oil change which I heard takes two days and that they'll be replacing a lot on the transmission unit, so 80k LKR is understandable. 

Well, if I were you I would get a quote for the same parts and repair else where as well and see. If you can get the suspension parts at cheaper rates I guess any garage would be able to handle the suspension related repairs at a lesser cost than this. Kia labour charges are high it seems..

Same with engine mounts, bushes and pulley repairs and can be expected with the mileage. Get a quotation for the genuine parts outside and see.

I guess you could use the turbo charger a bit more unless the previous owner has ruined it somehow?? ? 

Check and see if there are reconditioned AC vents available that would be a lot cheaper I guess.

Another strategy you could follow would be to attend to the things that need immediate attention and sort out the rest little by little..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mass01 said:

I too used a 2010 Sorento and took it to the agents in Malabe for a transmission oil change (100,000km), cos almost all experts and people spoken to says that it’s a necessity to be serviced by the agents due to many complications.

After inspection, agents quoted 450K for the above, plus many other replacements as “preventive measures” and a full service. Gave me a heartache but agreed to go ahead as I was planning to use the vehicle for 2 more years. Final bill 350K+. Did not feel any difference in performance.

Long story short….My BIL with a Sorento(2012) did similar service with a few replacements and a regular service with a garage in Yakkala. Cost him only 75K with no hiccups. 20,000 kilometres after, he is still laughing at me. Here I’m, 250K short.

I presume this “preventive maintenance” is like one of their hoodwink strategies.

Embarrassed, I sold it one year later….

FYI… the Sorento has had the best pulling power compared to many other SUVs I have driven. Overtaking is a pleasure, even on hilly roads.

Thats the agents :),  I drive a 2014 model and currently 65K on the clock. 

During the last service, agents gave a heads up on the bushes as a preventive maintenance advice.  But I don't feel any issue with the drive even at 100+ kmph.   Seems like they are trying to make a quick buck here.  Better get an inspection from a 3rd party also before committing to a major service. 

At least could prioritize what needs attention first.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:30 PM, Dee Jay said:

Well, if I were you I would get a quote for the same parts and repair else where as well and see. If you can get the suspension parts at cheaper rates I guess any garage would be able to handle the suspension related repairs at a lesser cost than this. Kia labour charges are high it seems..

Same with engine mounts, bushes and pulley repairs and can be expected with the mileage. Get a quotation for the genuine parts outside and see.

I guess you could use the turbo charger a bit more unless the previous owner has ruined it somehow?? ? 

Check and see if there are reconditioned AC vents available that would be a lot cheaper I guess.

Another strategy you could follow would be to attend to the things that need immediate attention and sort out the rest little by little..

Thank you very much, Further I'd like to know if there's any preferred KIA garages around. Someplace with recommendations would be nice. 

On 8/16/2020 at 10:30 PM, Mass01 said:

I too used a 2010 Sorento and took it to the agents in Malabe for a transmission oil change (100,000km), cos almost all experts and people spoken to says that it’s a necessity to be serviced by the agents due to many complications.

After inspection, agents quoted 450K for the above, plus many other replacements as “preventive measures” and a full service. Gave me a heartache but agreed to go ahead as I was planning to use the vehicle for 2 more years. Final bill 350K+. Did not feel any difference in performance.

Long story short….My BIL with a Sorento(2012) did similar service with a few replacements and a regular service with a garage in Yakkala. Cost him only 75K with no hiccups. 20,000 kilometres after, he is still laughing at me. Here I’m, 250K short.

I presume this “preventive maintenance” is like one of their hoodwink strategies.

Embarrassed, I sold it one year later….

FYI… the Sorento has had the best pulling power compared to many other SUVs I have driven. Overtaking is a pleasure, even on hilly roads.

Yeah they have these preventive repairs lined up all the time. I asked them what a separate quotation on immediate repairs, hopefully that will be a lot cheaper.

This is from the little research I did when I was searching for a Sorento to buy.

According to Kia Agent, the first transmission oil change needs to be done around 60k - 70k and costs about 80000/=. Thereafter need to do the same every 60k. I can't remember the exact price but it was much less (less than 15000 if i remember right) than the first one even if you do it with Kia Agent. I asked them why the first change costs more. They said, in addition to oil change they have replace certain parts on manufacturer's recommendation to do so (first change only). 

There is a garage in Madapatha Rd, Piliyandala and they charge around 60000 for the first transmission oil change. 

I too inspected a 2014 Sorento in the company and they handed me a 300000/= and most of them were pre-cautionary. I asked the guy who inspected to give me priority order on what should be addressed first. So planning to fix stuff little by little :)

The parts and charge labour charges are about 2.5 times than outside (I think this is a common scenario with other agents too). A radiator replacement in the company was quoted to be 89000/= outside the same thing can be done for around 45000/=.