• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sorento 2012 Maintenance

Thyaga

Question

Dear all!

I recently purchased an used Sorento 2012 with a mileage of below 100k. It was previously maintained by AutoMiraj in most cases.

However, with good intentions I made an inspection with Kia Agents. They’ve given me a quotation of 8lakhs for the “suggested repairs”. They even recommended a Transmission Oil change which costs a staggering 80k. 

what I need to know is, what are the recommend garages or maintenance places to get a second look or the repairs done? What should I look out for in the near future?

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, zanzibar said:

This is from the little research I did when I was searching for a Sorento to buy.

According to Kia Agent, the first transmission oil change needs to be done around 60k - 70k and costs about 80000/=. Thereafter need to do the same every 60k. I can't remember the exact price but it was much less (less than 15000 if i remember right) than the first one even if you do it with Kia Agent. I asked them why the first change costs more. They said, in addition to oil change they have replace certain parts on manufacturer's recommendation to do so (first change only). 

Assuming they were being truthful they must be replacing the internal transmission fluid filter due to possible shavings from the break-in period (or something like that)

I recently bought a KIA Sorento 2011 model which had done only 63000kms and was in very good condition. The agents quoted Rs.290000 for the oil change. So I went to a place in Madapatha Rd, Piliyandala who did it for Rs.95000. During the process they found that the 4wheel drive component had corroded which apparently is a factory fault, and advised me to replace it as if not when trouble comes they would have to dismantle the gearbox again. So that part cost me another Rs.65000. Looking back I think this dismantling work has both cons and pros as if I didn't do it at that time I would have to face a major problem in the future which would cost me much more than this. These personnel are all ex-KIA workers and one has trained in KIA Korea and retired as a Senior Foreman. I think they are the best for both KIA and Hyundai if you have second thoughts about going to the Agents. But beware they will also replace anything if they think are not good. There is no repairing only replacements as the Agents. Agents generally charge very high prices which is expected due to their overheads.