• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero Sports 2011/2012

Urmask

Question

Hi Guys,

Need some information on Montero Sports 2011/2012 Diesel model 

1. Ride comfort due to truck base chassie

2. Average fuel consumption and is it necessary to use super diesel 

3. Average market value? I have seen 155k Odo around 7.2 million. Is it a good deal ? 

4. Any particular faults or areas that I should worry about ? 

5. what does it mean when they say “all luxury taxes paid” when they advertise. Do I have to check any document ?  

6 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Urmask said:

Hi Guys,

Need some information on Montero Sports 2011/2012 Diesel model 

1. Ride comfort due to truck base chassie

2. Average fuel consumption and is it necessary to use super diesel 

3. Average market value? I have seen 155k Odo around 7.2 million. Is it a good deal ? 

4. Any particular faults or areas that I should worry about ? 

5. what does it mean when they say “all luxury taxes paid” when they advertise. Do I have to check any document ?  

If you had the courtesy to search the forum, you would have almost found all answers in one go. Anyways 

1. Ride comfort similar to a 120 Prado, it’s not as uncomfortable as a pickup

other than the anterior part of the chassis the rest is totally different. Including certain engine parts and tune.

lot of bullshit being circulated by car sales people to discourage the model so that they can sell the jdm imports. In Australia and most countries in 2012 the Montero Sport competed with the 150 Prado in the market. 

2. None of the Diesel or petrol SUVs are good on fuel, the market is a complete fake mirror, they bloat 13kmpl and hybrid fuel figures. realistic figures long distance 7kmpl and traffic 2 - 4 kmpl, yes it’s diesel. If you are looking at an suv of this size, please don’t focus on fuel figures, you will be terribly disappointed. 

3. Market values range from 6.2 to 6.5 - 2wd or manual models

6.8 up for GLX models Auto , 7.5 up for GLS models (rare)

8mil up for 2014 models (rare)

black being the cheapest, pearl white being the most costly and demand (rare)

150000km mileage is nothing for the gear on the suv so don’t worry there. Truth is most of the so called 72000km posts by the buy and sell boys on fb have crossed 200,000km. Buy from an honest 1-3rd owners

4. Faults are very rare, the Timing belt change is a costly affair about 150,000lkr job

they chew through brake pads roughly every 20000km

running repairs similar to any mid size or large suv, look for an exclusively company maintained vehicle for you to be safe from mileage issues as well and hidden horrors.

also do not go by the owners as most 1st real owner cars are 3rd owner on the book CR as the agent purchased permits and ordered and did a same day transfer And paid transfer tax, some ordeal to deliver the cars soon. I don’t know how the second party came in but I’ve seen several CRs with the same thing. Mine is not a permit one.

agents had most parts, and delkanda sellers also have parts apparently.

5. You have to check if the luxury taxes have been paid, whilst insuring the vehicle. 
there should be 7 installments with receipts 

check this http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=126&lang=en

they are nippy yet robust vehicles, lot of fun off road, cheap to run and have a lot of road presence. 
and again search the forum, you will find more.

PLEASE NOTE, DO NOT GO FOR THE CHEAPEST CAR IN THE MARKET, as unimo claims approx 44 00 vehicles came to the market, the abused ones, people try to pass off as cheap. Buy a well maintained one, or search harder.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I as waiting till @tivcommented first :) 

I have not owned a Montero Sport but have used one against a Fortuner. Also know a few who had them.

1. Yes...the Montero Sport competed in the same segment as the Prado in some markets. However..NOT s direct competitors and only as an entry level competitor along side the likes of the Fortuner, MuX and Everest. However it is not entirely fair to compare those market models with what we have in SL as those were quite loaded with tech and features which we don't necessarily get in SL (most of out vehicles were imported as base models because of the taxes here).

2. Compared to the previous model which was the Challenger (in some markets it still was called the Challenger) and the Fortuner....the one you are looking at is bouncy.  It is not that it is horribly uncomfortable or anything it has this jitteriness to it and never feels like it settles down in the road. I reckon it has something to do with the stiffness and the harsh recoil the suspension it has which does not take its time to gently release any suspension absorption. It is felt both on-road and off-road and takes away a bit of that sure-footed,secure feeling you need on a high center of gravity car. I am not saying the Fortuner is much better...but it slightly is..but when the road dissapears the Fortuner does feel a lot more predictable than the MS. Having used the Fortuner...intermittently sitting as a passenger and even as the driver in the MS always felt a little bit uneasy like being kept on stilts. Know a few MS owners who managed to topple their MS side ways and even have the rear end spin out because of it.

..as for the comment about being as comfortable as a 120 Prado... @tiv and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this....it might come close to the 120 Prado's ride comfort but not equal to it...the seats and a slightly softer suspension makes the Prado a bit more refined in absorbing bumps and humps. Also..lets not forget...the 120 Prado is an older generation whilst the Montero Sport is newer.

3.The MS has much better throttle response. Even in a small engine config the engine and the gearbox does a lot better job in quickly delivering that power and torque....the Fortuner is somewhat lazy in that department and you have to literally flog the engine to get the car to move.

4. The MS feels plasticy inside just like the Fortuner. Some parts feel weaker...some parts feel more chunkier...but the interior of the MS was much more utilitarian looking whilst the Fortuner was..well..dainty (in the higher grades and the lower grades felt like it was a car from the 80s).

4. The body on the other hand feels quite solid and heavy compared to its competitors. The Fortuner felt like a tin can.

5. The MS...dollar to dollar you get more equipment than in the Fortune

6. It is more engaging to drive than the Fortuner....but it is a car you need to get used to driving to understand its road holding manners and not have you get yourself in a tight pickle.

7. One thing I always found humorous was the 3rd row seat...it was a fold down seat which sunk down in to the floor .It gave a lot more space than in the Fortuner (which had its 3rd row seats hanging on the side taking away a lot of space). However, the latches to fold down the seats and pull them back up were located in "not so practical places".... :)

So...do I think it is a good car...well...I think it is an okay car. There are much better vehicles in that category out there...However, do i think it is a car worth buying...well considering the alternatives out there and how much they cost or what you can afford for the same amount of money....its worth a look. Because for the same amount of money you will have to settle for an older vehicle. You can look at a few mk 1 Fortuners which I beleive are in the same budget range...but the Mk 1 Fortuner was quite primitive and got better only with subsequent updates.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 1:26 AM, Mass01 said:

Hi, I’m a newbie to the group and certainly not an expert on motor mechanism…but since I too use a 2011 MS, as per my personal experience the following.

Whilst agreeing to almost all that has been said by “tiv”, just to clarify (I might be terribly wrong here), on one of my recent visits to an ex-unimo tech guy who does extensive work on L200s and Msport, he quoted something like 65k max for the timing belt change. plz clarify.

Furthermore, after a learning test (hope I got this term right) done by the same guy on the fuel system, I tend to get between 10 and 13kmpl on my highway trips. A picture that I took of the onboard indicator panel during a recent trip surprised me, could be a skewed reading, but made me happy to even imagine it after all the negative fuel consumption comments I have heard about the Montero sport.

Please try not to castigate me for the above comment, cos like I said, not an expert.

And also, @tiv If possible, could you plz fwd the links on the previous discussions made about the Montero sport….Thanks

KMPL.jpg

Well my figures are plainly based on running in kandy and a bit off road, 

Also all my pricing figures were considering agent maintenance 

I understand your enthusiasm , maybe I am heavy footed, but I do not see the point of praising a car based on fuel economy. It's like scoring a body builder based on what he eats. 

On 8/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, iRage said:

I as waiting till @tivcommented first :) 

I have not owned a Montero Sport but have used one against a Fortuner. Also know a few who had them.

1. Yes...the Montero Sport competed in the same segment as the Prado in some markets. However..NOT s direct competitors and only as an entry level competitor along side the likes of the Fortuner, MuX and Everest. However it is not entirely fair to compare those market models with what we have in SL as those were quite loaded with tech and features which we don't necessarily get in SL (most of out vehicles were imported as base models because of the taxes here).

2. Compared to the previous model which was the Challenger (in some markets it still was called the Challenger) and the Fortuner....the one you are looking at is bouncy.  It is not that it is horribly uncomfortable or anything it has this jitteriness to it and never feels like it settles down in the road. I reckon it has something to do with the stiffness and the harsh recoil the suspension it has which does not take its time to gently release any suspension absorption. It is felt both on-road and off-road and takes away a bit of that sure-footed,secure feeling you need on a high center of gravity car. I am not saying the Fortuner is much better...but it slightly is..but when the road dissapears the Fortuner does feel a lot more predictable than the MS. Having used the Fortuner...intermittently sitting as a passenger and even as the driver in the MS always felt a little bit uneasy like being kept on stilts. Know a few MS owners who managed to topple their MS side ways and even have the rear end spin out because of it.

..as for the comment about being as comfortable as a 120 Prado... @tiv and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this....it might come close to the 120 Prado's ride comfort but not equal to it...the seats and a slightly softer suspension makes the Prado a bit more refined in absorbing bumps and humps. Also..lets not forget...the 120 Prado is an older generation whilst the Montero Sport is newer.

3.The MS has much better throttle response. Even in a small engine config the engine and the gearbox does a lot better job in quickly delivering that power and torque....the Fortuner is somewhat lazy in that department and you have to literally flog the engine to get the car to move.

4. The MS feels plasticy inside just like the Fortuner. Some parts feel weaker...some parts feel more chunkier...but the interior of the MS was much more utilitarian looking whilst the Fortuner was..well..dainty (in the higher grades and the lower grades felt like it was a car from the 80s).

4. The body on the other hand feels quite solid and heavy compared to its competitors. The Fortuner felt like a tin can.

5. The MS...dollar to dollar you get more equipment than in the Fortune

6. It is more engaging to drive than the Fortuner....but it is a car you need to get used to driving to understand its road holding manners and not have you get yourself in a tight pickle.

7. One thing I always found humorous was the 3rd row seat...it was a fold down seat which sunk down in to the floor .It gave a lot more space than in the Fortuner (which had its 3rd row seats hanging on the side taking away a lot of space). However, the latches to fold down the seats and pull them back up were located in "not so practical places".... :)

So...do I think it is a good car...well...I think it is an okay car. There are much better vehicles in that category out there...However, do i think it is a car worth buying...well considering the alternatives out there and how much they cost or what you can afford for the same amount of money....its worth a look. Because for the same amount of money you will have to settle for an older vehicle. You can look at a few mk 1 Fortuners which I beleive are in the same budget range...but the Mk 1 Fortuner was quite primitive and got better only with subsequent updates.

My comment one the 120 was based on a car I was given by an embassy for a visit, period of 4 weeks, it was equally bumpy so I felt right at home, coming back it felt no different. That was a petrol one btw. 

Anyways OP do search well as you can get a brilliant Raize with a nice body kit for that money now!

Edited by tiv

6 minutes ago, tiv said:

Well my figures are plainly based on running in kandy and a bit off road, 

Also all my pricing figures were considering agent maintenance 

I understand your enthusiasm , maybe I am heavy footed, but I do not see the point of praising a car based on fuel economy. It's like scoring a body builder based on what he eats. 

My comment one the 120 was based on a car I was given by an embassy for a visit, period of 4 weeks, it was equally bumpy so I felt right at home, coming back it felt no different. That was a petrol one btw. 

Anyways OP do search well as you can get a brilliant Raize with a nice body kit for that money now!

Fair enough....difference in opinion I suppose.Its not necessarily the bouncy-ness that sets it off...it is the jitteryness like it has not settled down entirely and wants to just pounce :)  I hope the petrol version was not the 2.7L version...that thing is annoyingly lethargic.

As for the Raize...why would you do that even to your mortal enemy ?

Edited by iRage

44 minutes ago, iRage said:

Fair enough....difference in opinion I suppose.Its not necessarily the bouncy-ness that sets it off...it is the jitteryness like it has not settled down entirely and wants to just pounce :)  I hope the petrol version was not the 2.7L version...that thing is annoyingly lethargic.

As for the Raize...why would you do that even to your mortal enemy ?

Yes it was 2.7l and manual and yes it was slow. 

Wanted to add a bit of humour!

Hehe a friends dad is considering swapping his premio to a raize! It's gone that cult. I saw one that had been carved up by a Leyland bus, they aren't that strong at all.

5 minutes ago, tiv said:

Yes it was 2.7l and manual and yes it was slow. 

Wanted to add a bit of humour!

Hehe a friends dad is considering swapping his premio to a raize! It's gone that cult. I saw one that had been carved up by a Leyland bus, they aren't that strong at all.

Well..to be fair...those truck chassis kill pretty much anything and everything ? 

Your friend's dad is going to be miserable moving in to a Raize from a Premio. It will be small and uncomfortable. Being a small car it does get thrown around a lot and you would feel road fatigue on long distances. Yes..the Premio is an over prized, out dated tech based uninspiring car....but you cannot deny the fact that it is quite comfortable (probably the only thing going for it actually).