• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dear All Have a nice day

I need to buy a ODB scanner for my Toyota Vitz SCP90 YOM2009 

I supposed to buy it from Alibaba

Please advice recommended device and free software 

Generally what are the limitations ODB have that we can buy from Alibaba at cheap price around 10-15USD

It could be grate if you can provide alibaba link too that you already used 

Please advice

XYDZ-WIFIOBD-Yellow-FBA-US.main_.jpg

This is what I used with my android phone. Does not work for iPhones. It worked on many Toyota and Honda vehicles but haven't tested on Vitz. The app I used is Torque Pro.

I got that scanner more than 10 years ago from ebay and I bet there will be better ones now. It use to stop responding sometimes when using in live data mode. But to check codes it works.

obd.jpg

obd2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@kmeeg  I used to use Torque Pro as well with a similar bluetooth attachment bought on ebay! I remember someone on AL recommended it and I got a bluetooth OBD2 scanner attachment down and downloaded Torque Pro etc...

If it was you who posted that up on AL many years ago- Thanks Buddy: I owe you!  :D 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dayanpad said:

Dear All Have a nice day

I need to buy a ODB scanner for my Toyota Vitz SCP90 YOM2009 

I supposed to buy it from Alibaba

Generally what are the limitations ODB have that we can buy from Alibaba at cheap price around 10-15USD

Colombo Agencies has hardwired scanners (good and bad) as well as the cheaper bluetooth scanners as shown above for sale. Can't comment on the quality, but ask about warrenties etc if you go look and they should be able to help you out. They are pretty upfront with what's good, and will say if they will provide a warranty or not...

Or if you don't care about warrenties and just want it at a lower price: You can go get the same stuff from Ebay as mentioned by 'kmeeg'

Like kmeeg, I've had one for years now and while it doesn't help with SRS or Suspension codes it works great for basic engine codes etc. I've used mine on multiple Nissan's, Mazda's, Honda's &Toyota's with no issues.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dayanpad said:

Don't worry about the software as much: There are tons of free Apps on the andriod store and they all work with these OBD2 bluetooth attachments...

And $15USD is on the high side: Most of the OBD2 bluetooth attachments are around $10. (They are all pretty much the same cheaply made bluetooth unit really, the difference being fancy casings or stickers on the front, so I wouldn't overpay...)

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Last one I bought from ebay which is nicely working with "Torque Pro" app. Tested with a 2016 (or 2017 I can't remember exactly) Vitz as well. 

image.png.d2482da2275da3e7ec6c65d224d202a9.png

I bought 3 units from this person in three different times (for my friends also). All came really fast withing 6 - 7 days. But now couldn't find this in his store. 

Edited by gayanath
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, dayanpad said:

Dear All

Grate thanks for the suggestion and advice as well as experience that you have share with me 

I am looking for to buy item that have in the following link but still supplier no idea about that support to Toyota Vitz / Yaris 

https://www.boutiqueobdfacile.com/obd2-scanner-pack-a63.html

Please advice if you have about it 

Why this one though? Being that its quite expensive?

I haven't used this particular brand of scanner, but if its basic engine code diagnosis that you're after then this is x10 the price of a cheap bluetooth OB2 adaptor....and if you are just planning to use it on a 2009 Toyota Vitz, a cheap $10 unit is pretty much all you need. (Again, don't worry about whether it will work on a Toyota etc. It will and if you don't like Torque Pro, you can just download any of the other free software apps that are available on the Andriod app store.)

If you have access to proprietary manufacturer scanning software like star diagnostics, INPA or in this case for Toyota: 'Toyota TechStream' etc. Then I guess an adaptor like this will come in handy as you will need to use this type of adaptor to run that software off a laptop etc. But if you don't have a setup like that in mind, then a simple $10 bluetooth adaptor should suffice...

Edited by Kavvz

This has been extensively discussed on the forum. Let me link a few threads:

Unfortunately the image links in @Crosswind's great writeup is broken now. Crosswind, if you are reading this, appreciate if you can maybe re upload the images to your original post. Thanks!

There are so many different versions of the ELM327, each having a different set of OBDII protocol support. What @kmeeg and @gayanath have shared above are in fact two different versions of the ELM327. I have one that looks similar to @kmeeg's but different label. I had trouble with that one with a Yaris (which is essentially Vitz). So if you want a cheap Bluetooth ELM327 scanner, it's best to go with one that is sure to work with your car - in this case what Gayanath has suggested would be your best bet IMO. 

13 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Why this one though? Being that its quite expensive?

I haven't used this particular brand of scanner, but if its basic engine code diagnosis that you're after then this is x10 the price of a cheap bluetooth OB2 adaptor....and if you are just planning to use it on a 2009 Toyota Vitz, a cheap $10 unit is pretty much all you need. (Again, don't worry about whether it will work on a Toyota etc. It will and if you don't like Torque Pro, you can just download any of the other free software apps that are available on the Andriod app store.)

If you have access to proprietary manufacturer scanning software like star diagnostics, INPA or in this case for Toyota: 'Toyota TechStream' etc. Then I guess an adaptor like this will come in handy as you will need to use this type of adaptor to run that software off a laptop etc. But if you don't have a setup like that in mind, then a simple $10 bluetooth adaptor should suffice...

This is  8USD

8 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Oh my bad: I thought it was $85 or something... Sorry for the confusion then! 

Hardware is cheap but software is expensive . They have there software versions with limitation . Can we able to use other software as well with this hardware 

https://www.outilsobdfacile.com/software-eobd-facile-elm327.php

Edited by dayanpad

4 minutes ago, dayanpad said:

Hardware is cheap but software is expensive . They have there software versions with limitation . Can we able to use other software as well with this hardware 

Not sure about this particular unit, but @Davy has posted a pretty good response with very specific suggestions. I would look at that and follow-up.

Otherwise go with what @kmeeg posted. That's what I have and I have found it adequate as mentioned. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Not sure about this particular unit, but @Davy has posted a pretty good response with very specific suggestions. I would look at that and follow-up.

Otherwise go with what @kmeeg posted. That's what I have, and that setup it works adequately to this day. 

Does it support following features 

Features of the OBD2 Software EOBD-Facile

Trial version
(free)
Basic Edition
(paying)
Plus Edition
(paying)
Compatibility
Diesel, gasoline, GPL and Hybrid engine coche.png coche.png coche.png
Connecting to ELM327 interfaces (USB, Bluetooth and WiFi) coche.png coche.png coche.png
Connecting to Engine computer (ECM), Diesel (2004), Gasoline(2001)) coche.png coche.png coche.png
Connecting to Transmission computer (TCM) coche.png coche.png coche.png
Connecting to GPL (since 2007) coche.png coche.png coche.png
Fault codes diagnostic
Reading of OBD2 fault codes (Mode 3) coche.png coche.png coche.png
Reading of unconfirmed OBD fault codes (Mode 7) coche.png coche.png coche.png
Decoding of OBD fault codes into text (English)
More than 11 000 definitions (P0xxx, P1xxx, B0xxx, C0xxx and U0xxx)
coche.png coche.png coche.png
Clearing of OBD fault codes and malfunction indicator light (Mode 4) coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Instantaneous data reading (Mode 2) coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Reading of permanent OBD fault codes (Mode 10) coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Saving and reading of OBD fault codes coche-no.png coche-no.png coche.png
Printing of customised reports coche-no.png coche-no.png coche.png
Recording of customised reports coche-no.png coche-no.png coche.png
Check the consistency of vehicle sensor's values coche-no.png coche-no.png coche.png
Monitoring
Reading of sensors (Mode 1) coche.png coche.png coche.png
Continuous recording to sensor values (in a .csv file)
for export in a spreadsheet
coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Test of oxygen's sensors (Mode 5) coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Test of the systems (EGR, Catalyst) (Mode 6) coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Graphs
Continuous reading of sensor values (Mode 1)
In the form of a graph
coche-orange.png(1 curve) coche-orange.png(4 curves) coche.png(6 curves)
Review recordings in graph form coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Smart recording triggers coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Performance measurement (0-100 km/h) coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Calculation/conversion on registered sensors coche-no.png coche-no.png coche.png
Extra
Location of OBD2 socket in vehicles coche.png coche.png coche.png
Virtual dashboard coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Terminal for advanced commands coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
CAN bus spy coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Vehicle info (Mode 9) coche-no.png coche.png coche.png
Commercial use coche-no.png coche-no.png coche.png
VIN decoder coche-no.png coche-no.png coche.png
Standards
EOBD (Europe), OBD2 (USA), JOBD (Japan) coche.png coche.png coche.png
ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11it/29bit 250/500 kb) coche.png coche.png coche.png
ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000 slow et fast init) coche.png coche.png coche.png
ISO 9141-2 coche.png coche.png coche.png
J1850 VPW coche.png coche.png coche.png
J1850 PWM coche.png coche.png coche.png
Edited by dayanpad

Honestly I don't know the exact limits of the bluetooth one.

However now I have wired one from Autel and this is a comparison they have about some of their product line up. (Sorry I don't know if this support Vitz and how to get these down to SL as I got from US)

All Autel scanner tools comparison table

Also I use another OBD reader  called ScanGuage permanently fixed on my car to read live data and it can read basic codes and clear.

20200515_103951.jpg

6 hours ago, dayanpad said:

Does it support following features

What exactly is your use case? If you're simply looking to scan your car, clear error codes and read ECU data, you can achieve that with Torque Pro. Purchasing expensive software for DIY and use on your personal car is overkill. You end up using only about 20% of the features of the software.

If you are indeed looking for a professional grade diagnostic scanner, then the options are endless. You can spend from a couple of dollars to several thousand dollars on one. You just need to know what you will be using it for. 

I too have a secondary scanner which is a D900 that I purchased in 2015 if I remember correctly. It has not skipped a beat. I got it off eBay and for around $30. It certainly has saved me a couple of times and many of my friends who wanted a diagnostic scan done. 

9 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Also I use another OBD reader  called ScanGuage permanently fixed on my car to read live data and it can read basic codes and clear.

20200515_103951.jpg

Is this connected full-time to normal OBDII port of the vehicle or is there another location in your vehicle to connect it keeping OBDII port free?

8 hours ago, gayanath said:

Is this connected full-time to normal OBDII port of the vehicle or is there another location in your vehicle to connect it keeping OBDII port free?

full time connected to the OBD2 port.

If you need to access OBD2 while this is connected you could buy a splitter cable.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
37 minutes ago, zanzibar said:

Are these OBD2 scanners specific to petrol vehicles?

I tried buying one from AliExpress and most have a note saying they won't work on diesel cars/trucks.

Nope never heard of that before.... and when I think about it I find that very strange. Most scanners handle basic engine diagnosis fine, regardless of whether its a petrol or diesel engine....I would just get another brand as that sounds dodgy.

HOWEVER: There are some scanners that work better on particular cars as they support more complicated functions etc.

For example basic scanners like the  'Innova 3030rs' work well for basic engine codes etc but to reset air suspension settings and stuff it won't work as it doesn't support those functions. To reset air suspension settings etc you'd have to switch to more expensive 'Autel' brand or 'OTC' brand OB2 scanners that support those features...

So depending on what functions you want to diagnose you'd have to figuare out what brand and model of OB2 scanner you need. 

If you just want to diagnose basic engine codes, and your car doesn't have any fancy electronics / drive mode settings or suspension setups: Get a cheap Bluetooth OB2 port connector (usually between $5- $10 online) and just download one of the many free apps onto your phone. I still use that set up for a quick reference when one of the cars throws an engine light and it works just fine 90% of the time. 

If you want more information on simple Bluetooth OB2 port connectors for your phone there's a lot of info on AL as its been discussed quite a bit before....

4 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Nope never heard of that before.... and when I think about it I find that very strange. Most scanners handle basic engine diagnosis fine, regardless of whether its a petrol or diesel engine....I would just get another brand as that sounds dodgy.

HOWEVER: There are some scanners that work better on particular cars as they support more complicated functions etc.

For example basic scanners like the  'Innova 3030rs' work well for basic engine codes etc but to reset air suspension settings and stuff it won't work as it doesn't support those functions. To reset air suspension settings etc you'd have to switch to more expensive 'Autel' brand or 'OTC' brand OB2 scanners that support those features...

So depending on what functions you want to diagnose you'd have to figuare out what brand and model of OB2 scanner you need. 

If you just want to diagnose basic engine codes, and your car doesn't have any fancy electronics / drive mode settings or suspension setups: Get a cheap Bluetooth OB2 port connector (usually between $5- $10 online) and just download one of the many free apps onto your phone. I still use that set up for a quick reference when one of the cars throws an engine light and it works just fine 90% of the time. 

If you want more information on simple Bluetooth OB2 port connectors for your phone there's a lot of info on AL as its been discussed quite a bit before....

Thanks for the detailed reply mate. I was confused too but a lot of sellers had that note saying "Will not work on Diesel trucks/cars"

Will order a bluetooth one and see 😃 Nothing to lose. 

And yes, there few threads on obd2 scanners. Will check them out.

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, zanzibar said:

Will order a bluetooth one and see 😃 Nothing to lose!

Yeap its a good product to start with as it covers pretty much all basic scenarios / issues with engine codes at a very affordable price 👍 

Edited by Kavvz