• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius 2013 Steering and Dashboard rattle noises

Ishara Galagoda

Hello toyota users,

I have a toyota prius 3rd gen (2013) version which is now almost 90k done mileage. There are rattle noises coming from steering and from inside the dashboard. Toyota lanka is asking to replace the complete set which will cost 1.20laks. But some are recommending only to replace the steering rack / shaft which will cost around 45k (reconditioned). Can some one tell me what is the full set means? I tried google it shows only the steering rack no any other components. any advises would really appreciate.

thanks.

recon parts in SL are stuff that were removed from wreckers in japan. so in case you get a faulty one you are in trouble. Try to import a brand new part from japan and then install it in either at TL or a garage you know. But given the situation with limited imports you might have to opt for TL parts directly for a brand new replacement. Recon is cheap cuz it doesnt come with all the parts and the wear and tear in it is not guaranteed to last. 

Full set generally means the entire steering rack including the bushes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ishara Galagoda said:

Hello toyota users,

I have a toyota prius 3rd gen (2013) version which is now almost 90k done mileage. There are rattle noises coming from steering and from inside the dashboard. Toyota lanka is asking to replace the complete set which will cost 1.20laks. But some are recommending only to replace the steering rack / shaft which will cost around 45k (reconditioned). Can some one tell me what is the full set means? I tried google it shows only the steering rack no any other components. any advises would really appreciate.

thanks.

As HaeyIM said - full set would probably mean that they will replace the entire steering rack along with the bushing - the entire set will be new - what you get from outside would be a rack taken off a car in a scrap yard (let's assume that car has run 50,000 km) and the bushes will be the existing ones. 

If you can afford it will be a better idea in the long run to get the entire set done by TL. For older cars of course there's no choice but have to go with recon parts - and sometimes we end up replacing the supplementary parts as well cos the issue is not 100% solved.