• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine under compression?

Dhushaker

Hi Folks,

I bought a KE 74 recently (a week before). When i was buying i checked oil dipstick and oil cap there was no issues. But after changing the oil to 15W-40 in the service, it started to spit some oil in dipstick..

Also its struggling to start in the morning. But after starting there are no issues such as engine miss when running, white smoke and no oil or coolent decrease.

Also noticed that oil leaks in the plug

Is this symptoms of engine under compression?

TIA

Hi,

great timeless classic.

just change the sparkies, the 3k engine comes fac tory fitted with extended reach special plugs.  TL will stock them.

and look at the air filter for good measure,..replace it if it hasn't been running since the 90's ?

enjoy the ride,  how's the a/c ? post some pics,!

TT.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:08 PM, Dhushaker said:

Hi Folks,

I bought a KE 74 recently (a week before). When i was buying i checked oil dipstick and oil cap there was no issues. But after changing the oil to 15W-40 in the service, it started to spit some oil in dipstick..

Also its struggling to start in the morning. But after starting there are no issues such as engine miss when running, white smoke and no oil or coolent decrease.

Also noticed that oil leaks in the plug

Is this symptoms of engine under compression?

TIA

Before confirming its under compression, try to see if the PCV valve is clean (did the KE70s come with PCV?) 

Also did you overfill the oil? 

Your morning starting problems could be due to incorrect starting procedure. You really can't expect a carburettor engine if this age to start up like a car with an EFI engine. Different carburettors require different starting procedures. So follow the procedure that's best for your car. 

Here's a video of cold starting procedures and why they matter.

Originally shared here

If you are already following this, then it could be that your carburettor needs a service. If you're unaware of how long ago the carburettor was serviced and tuned, I suggest that you take the car to a carburettor expert and get it tuned. 

Now for your engine compression issue - you can get a compression test done to find out if one or more cylinders have low compression. You can do it at home by hooking up a pressure gauge to each spark plug port and momentarily cranking the engine.