• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Toyota Car for 3.5-4.0 M

ijayath

Hello all,

I am planning to buy a Toyota car for personel use. I do consider few things

1. Current value which suitable for my budget

2. After value of the car

3. I use car daily around 40km drive in colombo city limits

4. Maintaince cost, i know its bit less in Toyota, correct me if im wrong

In this budget i saw few options in recondition hybrid sedans (2012-2014) and hatchbacks with non hybrid sedans which year 2002-2010.

Appriciate ur ideas about options i may have..and what is most suitable..

Thanks for your valuable time friends

4 hours ago, ijayath said:

Hello all,

In this budget i saw few options in recondition hybrid sedans (2012-2014) and hatchbacks with non hybrid sedans which year 2002-2010.

1,2 : Right now the best Toyota car for you to buy is not a Toyota. Look at everything else than a Toyota. The price of these standard cars have gone up considerably whilst other brands like Nissans and Mitsubishis and Mazdas have increased by price only a little. You will be buying the car significantly over priced and these prices are going to come crashing which means you will lose money.

4. Okay...I will set you right. You are wrong. Maintenance cost of Toyotas are not cheaper than a Mitsubishi or a Mazda or a Nissan or a Subaru. If you use GENUINE parts and go to QUALIFIED and REPUTABLE mechanics...maintenance cost of the Toyota is going to be the same as any other model. THose who tell you that the maintenance cost of a Toyota is cheaper are the people who use cheap chinese spare parts and do nothing but do an oil change at the cheapest service station.

Please do not fall in to the trap of thinking that Toyotas have good after sales value and is good as investing in gold and all that mumbo jumbo. They are all myths. 95% of the kind of Toyotas you are looking at are harshy used, poorly maintained and then dressed up for a quick sale. Then spend an equal (or even more) amount of time in garages as it does on the road. The very few that are honest and in good shape are ridiculously expensive.  These typical Toyotas are not easy to sell either. There are plenty of these Toyotas that do not get sold for long periods of time. On one hand because the market is flooded with them. You seriously should look in to cars like Mazdas and Mitsubishis and even Toyotas like the export model Corolla. They tend to be a bit more well loved by the type of people who buy them. Some of these were bought under permit by the agent so they even have service histories with the agent. When it is time to sell...if it is good and honest...they will sell (even before the Toyotas you are looking at) because the type of people who buy these cars are not the average Toyota model buyer.

As for purchasing a sedan or a hatchback depends on your needs and tastes which we know nothing of. As for whether you should buy a used Hybrid or a Petrol....please go through the other threads on the subject. We have discussed the pros and cons extensively.

• Thanks 1

Thanks you for the very wide explanation and this useful information... and for your valuable time!!

I understand your point that it is hard to find well maintained Toyota with lots of cars which used as hell.

With my budget if i go to Nissans and Mitsubishis for my budget i have only lancer ex or nissan sylphy 2011. These are the cars which i can see in the market. If you have any other options appreciate your response too. 

Toyotas like the export model Corolla - what are the car models you mean? Yes it is very stressful to find this type car which i did not find for last two weeks. 

I followed up few other threads regard to hybrid or petrol. Thanks again for your detail complete answer

9 minutes ago, ijayath said:

Thanks you for the very wide explanation and this useful information... and for your valuable time!!

I understand your point that it is hard to find well maintained Toyota with lots of cars which used as hell.

With my budget if i go to Nissans and Mitsubishis for my budget i have only lancer ex or nissan sylphy 2011. These are the cars which i can see in the market. If you have any other options appreciate your response too. 

Toyotas like the export model Corolla - what are the car models you mean? Yes it is very stressful to find this type car which i did not find for last two weeks. 

I followed up few other threads regard to hybrid or petrol. Thanks again for your detail complete answer

well for your budget you can get easily get a good Honda Civic FD series car - FD1 and FD4 for gasoline-only variants and the FD3 hybrid. Another option would be Mazda Axela (~2010). 

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2020 at 12:20 AM, ijayath said:

Hello all,

Well if you are looking for a decent family car toyota is not a bad idea. Whatever people say the brand Toyota has earned its reputation as a top carmaker due to its durability and its value for money. The million mile toyotas are nothing new and usually averagely maintained ones can last on its stock engine for some good time. I have friends who have corollas and vitz's that have run well over 200k and are running with the same original engine, only regular oil changes and service are done. For example the passo (2013 kgc30) i got was one of the best purchases i made. I used it for 7 years with no repair on anything other than replacing its battery after 5 years, a tuneup after 5 years and a tyre change. It is true that there are a lot of abused toyotas lying around but there is an equal amount of well maintained ones that also go for averagely good prices.  Same goes for the Axio, Other than regular oil change, new tires, battery and tuneup the car is pretty much trouble free for now. Did some extras like a headunit, led fogs, HID etc.. but still the car drives pretty smoothly and fuel efficiency is well held. People who own Toyotas would agree on the same and which is why they demand a little on their cars. 

As for depreciation, its hard to tell but in general the popular models hold its value well.  For example 2007/8 vitz cars go for almost the same value as a fit GP1, Corolla 121's still stay well above the 2 mil mark even though its a 20 year old car. People might argue that the buyer base is bloated but the car sure serves your purpose if you need a reliable car to get around town with averagely good comfort and good value. Most toyotas even though not made to be used in Sri Lanka do well on our roads, Exceptions maybe with camry etc.. ) 

If you are more about having fancy tech or features you might  want to consider to opt for Hondas, they come loaded with options for the price point of a base or X grade toyota. But the reason behind tarnished honda reputation is partly in the fault of misconception. The cars are well made and designed but some models were not meant for sri lanka's weather condtions and roads, thats why the engine oil burning on GP1(ones in japan were recalled), The DCT issues on Grace, FitGP5, Vezel etc happened.  This created fear on people who are looking to buy them secondhand, but Civics and Accords are great cars with good comfort. 

As for Mitsubishi, I am yet to experience it and hoping to do so in future, From what i hear the car is more about the driving feel and enjoyment than driving a soft and quiet car like a toyota. Not gonna comment on this brand  but the reviews and expert opinions from here say that is actually a pretty good brand for a car/Jeep. 

To answer your question 

1) Toyota - 141, 161 (axio 2013ish), Allion(2007-9), Premio (2004),  Nissan- Bluebird G11( check for dashboard issue and wheel hub), Sunny (2011-14),   Honda - Civic FD(check for hybrid battery), Accord (euro)  Mitsu- Lancer EX, Outlander(older model) 

2) hard to tell but expect 2-3 laks of depreciation if the car has passed its initial depreciation. Ex: If you buy a 2013 axio for 3.9 Mil expect to sell it for 3.8 or 3.7 at least sometime in future, Depending on how the economy goes sometimes our EFFED up community appreciates prices in cars and they sell them for no loss or profit. 

4)  Passo 2013 model 9,500 - 11,500 LKR at A*W (castrol magnatec 5W30 Oil and all other original lubricants, New oil filter), Axio  161 - 11,500-13,500 LKR at A*W (Castrol Magnatec 5W30 etc.. ) , Air filter for Toyota around 1500, Oil filter around 1250 and Cabin filter close to 2000. Battery replacement if needed (13,500 upward maintenance free 3K/Lucas), Tyres each cost close to 11,500 Dunlop, Hifly(chinese and not recommended at all, costs i think 6,500),  So generally expect to spend 10-14k on a toyota sedan to service with good lubricants. Insurance costs close to 72,000 for Axio.  ( I haven't had to replace any parts so not sure abt costs for parts nowadays) 

(https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/02/22/matt-farahs-lexus-ls-400-reaches-1000000-miles/#:~:text=The million-mile Lexus LS,break the million-mile mark.

https://www.motor1.com/news/347462/second-toyota-tundra-1-million-miles/#:~:text=It's the second known Tundra,the mechanicals weathered the mileage. ) - Million mile toyotas for u to read - 

• Like 2

Just to clarify what I meant...I am not saying Toyota cars are bad....they meet the purpose what it is for. The problem is not with the cars but the people who have used them (turning back mileages, cheap maintenance, etc...) and the myths they spread saying Toyotas are cheap. Not at all if you maintain them properly. They have been cheap for these people because they did not maintain their cars properly...which goes back to the original problem...nothing wrong with the car...the people used them poorly.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, iRage said:

Just to clarify what I meant...I am not saying Toyota cars are bad....they meet the purpose what it is for. The problem is not with the cars but the people who have used them (turning back mileages, cheap maintenance, etc...) and the myths they spread saying Toyotas are cheap. Not at all if you maintain them properly. They have been cheap for these people because they did not maintain their cars properly...which goes back to the original problem...nothing wrong with the car...the people used them poorly.

Isn't that problem with every brand of imported car in SL? Back when i was looking for cars there were plenty of Honda Grace's and Fits that had serious engine wear and cosmetically looked wrecked but with meter readings of 17,000 and 23,000. Same goes even for the new Civic EX (2017/18) and Vezel RS, one of my friends was hunting for a brandnew but most of the cars on sales were with turned back mileage. Same goes to every brand including Suzuki & Nissan(except ones brought by A*W),  Mitsubishi's (Pajero, CS Lancers) 

As for maintenance cost, the biggest advantage i guess people record about toyotas is that the engine handles our roads well so repairs dont come often until you hit around 80,000km or 5-6 years. Even for servicing, Toyota lanka is cheaper than Stafford and much more efficient(full service including lubricants, filter etc..), Not sure about Unimo. Furthermore Toyota Lanka readily helps grey imports. Even if you bought a JDM car like Toyota Passo, Raize, Auris, Fielder etc that is not imported by TL.. they will still do repairs on it just like any other car that was brought to them and not fuss about anything. They even source any parts if needed.  I know people who got rejected on repairs at A*W for suzuki Wagon R's and fussed for Honda Vezels/Fit at Stafford. Everyone knows how A*W just plainly backed out of giving support for Nissan Leaf owners to replace batteries. TL in the other hand does battery swaps for almost all the grey imported toyotas at a fair price. Biggest advantage i guess on toyota is that there are ample parts (both genuine brandnew, Reconditioned/wrecker parts and Even used ones) compared to other brands, Plus the cars are readily upgradable with multiple extras across the same platform.  Toyota is one of the few brands in Sri Lanka that has a direct agent who is fully affiliated with Toyota in Japan.  Most of the other brands in SL are maintained by third party companies that work alongside the japanese or european carmaker. Eg: A*W for Nissan/Suzuki, Unimo for Mitsubishi, Stafford for Honda etc.. 

As for people using it poorly, It once again applies to all the brands. I came across many abused cars from all the Japanese brands. Not a thing specific to toyota. Just go through the classified and you can find plenty of dressed up cars from every brand just ready for a quick sale. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Isn't that problem with every brand of imported car in SL? Back when i was looking for cars there were plenty of Honda Grace's and Fits that had serious engine wear and cosmetically looked wrecked but with meter readings of 17,000 and 23,000. Same goes even for the new Civic EX (2017/18) and Vezel RS, one of my friends was hunting for a brandnew but most of the cars on sales were with turned back mileage. Same goes to every brand including Suzuki & Nissan(except ones brought by A*W),  Mitsubishi's (Pajero, CS Lancers) 

As for maintenance cost, the biggest advantage i guess people record about toyotas is that the engine handles our roads well so repairs dont come often until you hit around 80,000km or 5-6 years. Even for servicing, Toyota lanka is cheaper than Stafford and much more efficient(full service including lubricants, filter etc..), Not sure about Unimo. Furthermore Toyota Lanka readily helps grey imports. Even if you bought a JDM car like Toyota Passo, Raize, Auris, Fielder etc that is not imported by TL.. they will still do repairs on it just like any other car that was brought to them and not fuss about anything. They even source any parts if needed.  I know people who got rejected on repairs at A*W for suzuki Wagon R's and fussed for Honda Vezels/Fit at Stafford. Everyone knows how A*W just plainly backed out of giving support for Nissan Leaf owners to replace batteries. TL in the other hand does battery swaps for almost all the grey imported toyotas at a fair price. Biggest advantage i guess on toyota is that there are ample parts (both genuine brandnew, Reconditioned/wrecker parts and Even used ones) compared to other brands, Plus the cars are readily upgradable with multiple extras across the same platform.  Toyota is one of the few brands in Sri Lanka that has a direct agent who is fully affiliated with Toyota in Japan.  Most of the other brands in SL are maintained by third party companies that work alongside the japanese or european carmaker. Eg: A*W for Nissan/Suzuki, Unimo for Mitsubishi, Stafford for Honda etc.. 

As for people using it poorly, It once again applies to all the brands. I came across many abused cars from all the Japanese brands. Not a thing specific to toyota. Just go through the classified and you can find plenty of dressed up cars from every brand just ready for a quick sale. 

Yes it does (funny this came up because just before login in here I was talking with a gentlemen saying how the government, if they really cared about road safety, should start having mandatory full inspections and the start point should be to make it mandatory for all new registrations). The thing with Toyotas is that they blindly buy any POS with a Toyota badge on it for prices higher than gold and then make up utter BS to make sure they do not lose value on the car (i.e. keep value of the car through stories rather than actual physical maintenance).

It starts off with what was cheaply available in the market. When Graces/Fits were cheap people ran to them. Then it was the Civic...then it was the Audis. Then they realize that the car is not a simple pump and run kind of car and that there neighborhood parts shop does not have Indonesian, Thai and Taiwanese parts around and they have to go to specific parts...then they get upset. Dress up the car...sell it off...and then they go back to the old Toyotas. Only with the Toyota...now they when they have the same issue they get the cheap parts and garages at the top of the road. Mind you...all these Toyotas that people run to are old Toyotas or new Toyotas with old tech (I believe @vitz hit the nail on that one).  You know the whole CHR injector issue ? New Toyota tech ? I am sure it is going to give a bad rep for Toyota in the local market but then the Premio/Allion/Axio boys are going to counter attack that with some really interesting stories. They cannot afford to have Toyota lose its name in SL :) 

I don't think the whole statement about Toyotas not giving trouble before 80,000km is fair. Allions, Axios, Premios, Vitzes, Crowns, Mark Xs, Harriers, Vanguards, RAV4s all got issues that needed attention well before that (ranging from AC compressors to Alternators to Water pumps, oil seals, transfer cases, rear diffs, front axles, steering racks). ..again..goes back to my previous point about cheaply accessible parts. 

As for the agents...yes Toyota is the only one who has direct linkage to Toyota Motors (this was after a huge fiasco for the brand when the agency-ship was under Freudenberg). In SL agents are way too expensive.  I am not sure if the comments about cost and acceptance of vehicles. I cannot remember our Stafford servicing bill for the CRVs being any  much higher than that of the RAV4 at TL (in fact Toyota Lanka bills are always riddled with errors and sometimes the things they charge you have to wonder WTH...Really ?).  

Either I, my dad or family members have taken grey import CRVs, Civics, Fits and Steams (of friends). Stafford has not complained and gladly did the work. Once I even saw a Doctor Sunny being worked on (well it was up on hoists with the wheels removed). The only times I have heard of Stafford making a fuss is when they had to work on Hybrid vehicles (especially at the beginning when they were not equipped to do that). Their claim was(is?) that the system is so integrated that they do not want to work on it because they do not want to be liable for anything going wrong and having to work on a whole host of issues than what was started on (you can't blame them considering how these cars started giving all kinds of errors in almost a domino effect). Toyota used to do this way back then..especially with Hybrids...they would say no to them. They were okay with common JDM vehicles but parts and labor had surcharges (or what they did was their cars had "discounts"...which was BS but that changed in the 90s when they themselves started bringing down grey imports).  You have to acknowledge and appreciate the fact that modern cars are not that straight-forward as old ones....everything is linked together and a lot of the tech can be very figgity and sensitive in environments like that . So it is only understandable if any of the agents o not want to take on something they are not qualified to do for liability reasons (especially if they are a franchisee).  Then there are the parts....I am surprised that Toyota Lanka accepted outside parts from you. They made a huge fuss about parts I carried from Japan for both the RAV4 and Mark X. So much so that I got pissed off and asked them to lower the Mark X and took the car to Platinum in the middle of a service. All for a b****y ATF filter. Took the suspension kit for the RAV4 from Japan....outright rejected that. Once the manager started grumbling about parts quality and their work being compromised until I showed him the Toyota bills from Japan. Then he just said they cannot accept it. Then their parts were ridiculously priced. Just the shocks alone for the RAV4 cost as much the entire kit from Japan (shocks, bushes, entire control arms, various linkages). Even the cost of other parts seem to be quite high...so I fail to see where people say Toyotas are cheap to maintain (without having to resort to substandard service and parts....)

As for A*W....I believe they are competing for the world's worst agent/dealership award. They seem to have gotten worst every decade. I am surprised that they actually support cars that they themselves have sold (at least after warranty). I have heard only good things about Unimo though (only negative thing I have heard was about their sales staff being arrogant and snotty) but I am sure they too have their issues.

But then when most of these people say that Toyotas are cheap..they do not mean properly maintaining them at Toyota Lanka either. Seen plenty of cases where..yes....a service is done at the agent...but then all the other work (including the services every 5000km) outside.