• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Serena

SunethB

Hi,

I am to buy a Nissan Serena, 

people say It has no second market, actual reason is not rational. 

I want to know general issues and remedies for each

and best models/ features to consider (VX,FX,LX, auto-gear| manual, 4-door|5-door, engine type, radiator types)

Max budget is LKR 1.5Mn. 

Edited by SunethB
couldn't mention about types

7 hours ago, SunethB said:

Hi,

I am to buy a Nissan Serena, 

people say It has no second market, actual reason is not rational. 

I want to know general issues and remedies for each

and best models/ features to consider (VX,FX,LX, auto-gear| manual, 4-door|5-door, engine type, radiator types)

Max budget is LKR 1.5Mn. 

My memory is very faint but when these came in new they were the bomb. Held the spotlight momentarily. In 2001 we were going to to buy a genuine Highway Star model, fully loaded but gave up due to bad reviews. Also the market got washed up after the cr41 came.

Notable problems were, low pulling power

Shoddy auto transmission, aircon issues, steep drop in power due to aircon. Non specific engine problems related to ancillaries 

Alternator issues, steering rack issues. 

The Serena's downfall was its predecessor/parallel-model, the Vanette Fargo and Vanette VX. The Serena proved to be more well equipped than the Fargo and VX but beyond that it lost the simplicity and reliability and cheap running capability (and even the durability) of the previous models. It was a time when Sri Lankans bought vans for its versatality and rough and cheap "dual use". The Serena fell significantly short.

The suspension was softened up to make it more comfortable for passenger transport (commercial/business model remained to be the Vanette). This meant it was not capable of heavy and rough use as the older Fargo and Vanette VX. The engine was refined to be quieter and meet better environmental standards (Japanese) but this also meant the engine was restricted and thus lost power. Then there were some things like due to the wheel size and increased rotation/km size; people were complaining about having to replace tires more frequently. So with time...it did not tick any of the boxes for people. SO they continued to go with the old school Vanette and Vanette VX. Even when the Vanette model changed to the Bongo based model people found that a lot more appealing than the Serena. 

Subsequent models of the Serena got a lot of improvements that resolved most of its past short-comings but the reputation carried on (in SL).

Fb has a quite active local group on the Serena’s. Salty buggers though. Will abuse anybody who dares put a word against their G wagons(so they think). But a few minutes of browsing will tell you all you need to know.