• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project - 1969 Mitsubishi Jeep 4DR5 (J24)

fiat fan

6 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Ah, I see! Yeap, being stuck in traffic with no A/C or a breeze to cool you off is definately something that gets old fast! 

Oh yes. And my brother lives in the middle of the nastiest traffic. Plus Kandy traffic is also an absolute nightmare.

4 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Update.

This what a 51 year old fuel tank looks like.

The tank had several tiny holes on it. It has been cut open. And it has been repaired. The inner walls were rustproofed and painted. So was the exterior.

Also we put new panels inside the tank(lined the walls) in Stainless Steel.

Fat fan,

Very interesting post by you. Permanent Fuel leak leak stop by having a SS tank inside the original tank.

Your update of above fuel tank, you state that fuel tank will be lined with SS sheath that means inside there will be a stainless steal tank completely covering your original tank. I don't think any one will do this type of rebuilding a tank which will last for many Generations to come, Very good idea can you inform thickness of SS sheath what is going to be inside the original tank.

Another AL member did a rebuilding of a jeep with a double AC incorporated into the engine, he had Alternator not generating enough Amperage for slow speeds driving. I have mentioned about same in a early post.

He posted many posts about his jeep of all what he did few years ago to AL. If  necessary can give his contact number.

Best wishes for good rebuilding.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

We could not find a Brand new tank made for these jeeps. Plus it would also rust in 10-20 years. So we decided to re-tinker it and then do it up in SS.

I will get back to you with the thickness of the SS.

Since this is a short-wheel base, we decided not to dual AC it. So far no issues with cooling/overheating.

Thank you. 

Appreciate the feedback greatly.

32 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Oh yes. And my brother lives in the middle of the nastiest traffic. Plus Kandy traffic is also an absolute nightmare.

Oh? Where is that? The stretch coming into town near the police station and clock tower? But you can circumnavigate that area now right? 

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

Oh? Where is that? The stretch coming into town near the police station and clock tower? But you can circumnavigate that area now right? 

Kandy road has traffic from Warakapola itself, and gets much worse from Pilimatalawa. Lake round is worse than herpes in the school time.

Brother lives in Baseline road. Near Lanka hospital. *shudders just thinking about it* 

15 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Kandy road has traffic from Warakapola itself, and gets much worse from Pilimatalawa. Lake round is worse than herpes in the school time.

Brother lives in Baseline road. Near Lanka hospital. *shudders just thinking about it* 

(I didn't realize you meant coming to Kandy from Colombo, I thought you just meant traffic inside Kandy city) Oh boy! No easy solution to either of those traffic issues: Tough man! 

The only solution I can think of for traffic is to take a tuk-tuk back and forth. Its alright in the city, but in this situation that's not really that practical (nor is it safe).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

The only solution I can think of for traffic is to take a tuk-tuk back and forth. Its alright in the city, but in this situation that's not really that practical (nor is it safe).

Ane what to do. Just have to put a mask and sit. Threewheeler and any other vehicle cant go fast in traffic unless driver is a yobo. So its practically safe. 

Uda rata is nice but also stinks sometimes. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/31/2020 at 3:50 AM, fiat fan said:

Regarding the undercoating. Since the Jeep will be used 90% off the trail and not be a pavement princess, we decided on a full coating using good quality wurth(super expensive) coating. We also did the full floorboard ,bumpers, side steps and others. 

We want to have the vehicle in immaculate condition.Costly but worth it in the long run.

Sand blasting was done beforehand.

Your post makes me want to do the same, but am wondering whether instead of sandblasting, can I just use rust convertor instead on the surface and use the Wurth underbody coating on top of that? Your thoughts? 

Also: Do you know roughly how many cans of undercoating spray you ended up using? 

Edited by Kavvz

On 8/10/2020 at 9:35 AM, amilaart said:

Very interesting re-building. Dream to do such job...

much interesting to read Mr Sylvi  @Sylvimemories... Love it ❤️

Thanks bro.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:19 PM, Kavvz said:

(I didn't realize you meant coming to Kandy from Colombo, I thought you just meant traffic inside Kandy city) Oh boy! No easy solution to either of those traffic issues: Tough man! 

Everything from the ride to and from Kandy to Colombo is bad. The inner city traffic is worse.

Kandy Tuks can make you a poor man.

16 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Your post makes me want to do the same, but am wondering whether instead of sandblasting, can I just use rust convertor instead on the surface and use the Wurth underbody coating on top of that? Your thoughts? 

Also: Do you know roughly how many cans of undercoating spray you ended up using? 

If its a modern car, I'm sure you dint neef to sand blast it. Infact newer cars just get the coating on top of the paint.

I believe it was like 10 cans(bro went ocd on the nooks and crannies). Let me confirm this.

• Like 1

Update. Bought the front 2 seats. 

Black. Kinda sporty. Good back support and very good hold.

Will be wrapped in leather.

As of now, the Jeep is at the Canopy place. We will get it back on Thursday.

Things being done-

Full Canopy-Black.

Rear seats(made to custom order.wraped in leather.black)

Full floor carpeting(the plasticky material. Gonna put rubber carpets after.)

Front seats will be installed.

Last pic is after a paint. We wanted some places redone,because ocd. So the pic you see is not the final product.

IMG-1b42daf57d93e0a04c74a5d870da0338-V.jpg

IMG-8380aa5c662c077391cb7ddd3e813e5d-V.jpg

IMG-db4e5378054ad7f7d6973a20265838fa-V.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Kandy Tuks can make you a poor man.

Oh right! I forgot those guys don't have pick-me / uber etc, and from what I hear they won't let anyone in Kandy sign-up with them either so they can control the rates: Tuk drivers there are terrible! 

Edited by Kavvz

16 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

If its a modern car, I'm sure you dint neef to sand blast it. Infact newer cars just get the coating on top of the paint.

I believe it was like 10 cans(bro went ocd on the nooks and crannies). Let me confirm this.

Thanks! I'll probably just stick with some rust convertor, let that dry / cure and then go with the undercoating...That way I can do everything myself: That'll be a good weekend project for me.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:05 PM, amilaart said:

Very interesting re-building. Dream to do such job...

much interesting to read Mr Sylvi  @Sylvimemories... Love it ❤️

amilaart,

I have plenty of past memories in driving around then Ceylon and later Sri Lanka. I first went to Katharagama in year 1958. I did not have a driving license, my late father refused to give our vehicle to go there , therefore my late mother and  three adult family friends with two other teenagers decided to use public transport. Al seven of us got up early (All stayed the night in our house) used two Morris Minor taxis to go to Colombo main bus stand, There was no direct buses to our final destination, Buses from Colombo ran only up to Thissamaharama. During the 1950 Taxis were charging 50 Cents for a mile. I remember very well both taxis cost us only 3/00 Rupees to main bus stand from our house Kollupitiya.

Thissamaharama Express bus left Colombo at 5AM in the morning, reached to Thissa by 12.30 afternoon, Lunch we had in a hotel near Bus stand there. Few chaps were waiting till we finished our lunch to talk to us, I think they knew we are definitely pilgrims to Katharagama.  At that time no bus service was available to Katharagama, only  MW numbered vans and Jeeps, did the shuttle service to temple, no tarred road from the main road to the temple. Road was a Gravel road two or three places on the road  I remember was bad due to early rain road had washed off. We got into a jeep old 2 WW model 10 people can travel behind two extended seats build in rear one can sit on front left hand drive with Petrol engine. Cost of the hire was  Rupees 12 /=. As they drop us near the bridge the jeep we traveled had a party to come back to Thissa. We walked to words the temple and only good place to stay was Ramakrishina mission had few halls no rooms all have to sleep on the flow, the supply mats for all who stay there. Food was very tasty given free of charge all who come and sit on the flow during meals serving time. We all stayed two nights third day came back to Colombo. I remember total cost was about under Rupees 20/= for each entire three day outing.

I wrote above was the very long trip I did in the past ( 62 years ago) for three days to share among the AL members, also the public transport experience we all had during that era.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Oh right! I forgot those guys don't have pick-me / uber etc, and from what I hear they won't let anyone in Kandy sign-up with them either so they can control the rates: Tuk drivers there are terrible! 

Once In a while you do find some(mostly empty return hires).

Kandy did have them before. But the crooks protested and harrassed the people. So no more.

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Thanks! I'll probably just stick with some rust convertor, let that dry / cure and then go with the undercoating...That way I can do everything myself: That'll be a good weekend project for me.

Thats the best way. Good luck!

Post some pics too if you dont mind!

Members,

I had owned more than four three wheeler Bajaj vehicles in the past, all of them I purchased new in the past, all from the agents. Had purchased another five three wheelie's for people who work for me from the agents new. At present I have a three wheeler bought new done only 1780 Kilometers. I have calculated the fuel and running cost  will not be more than Rupees 5/= for a Kilometer.

Last I sold after using 5 years done under 10000 Kilometers all Colombo running, that was a big loss  of the investment I made for same. Lost was more than Rs. 600000/= . Very unpopular vehicle Diesel. This vehicle was imported by a big time Automobile importer who is no more in the world, I never required any spare parts for that it was build in India for load carrying, more than passenger transport. I had to do the Differential play adjustment by replacing shims for that vehicle. Differential spider wheels to get rid of the play, if not every time a gear changer to pick up there was a noise can hear very well, passengers also will feel that. Cost was under Rupees 1000/=. I modified the same 12 Volts Indian self starter motor to start the engine without pulling a cable for decompression. Solenoid fitted to stop the engine 12 volts DC same starter switch operated. that was under Rupees  1000/=. after 2 years battery was changed to a Omron Battery. Corrosion was very high on the body sides due to this I got rid of same. This vehicle had two rows of seats for 5 passengers to travel very comfortably reduced the 8 springs rear to three for passenger comfort also changed front wheel two springs to be a thinner gauge of two springs to stop front was jumping even for a small road bump. Later the person who bought this Three wheeler brought to Colombo and visited me showed same that he had spend hard top Fiber glass done all corrosion, seats modified with Japanese seats so that, they can be folded two people can sleep comfortably. 

Above is not relevant to topic, there was a comment about three wheeler on this thread, I thought I will post above. to inform my cost for a petrol three wheeler.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Thanks 2

On 8/11/2020 at 7:55 AM, Kavvz said:

... but am wondering whether instead of sandblasting, can I just use rust convertor instead on the surface and use the Wurth underbody coating on top of that? Your thoughts? ...

Someone who owns a couple of classics talked me out of using undercoat. He said that this stuff is supposed to go on brand new cars before being driving out. Surface should be 100% rust free for it to properly work. He had once used it on a resto. According to him, surface looked rust free, but it was rusting from inside. Due to the tacky texture of the undercoat, it doesn't come off in flakes as regular paint when the it is rusting. Once a large enough area is rusted the whole thing falls down. Like a whole floor plate would fall off! Even when it falls off, the painted surface looks good with no signs of corrosion. This is what he said.

I've not seen this happen. His story was scary enough. I've gone with two part marine paint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, varotone said:

Someone who owns a couple of classics talked me out of using undercoat. He said that this stuff is supposed to go on brand new cars before being driving out. Surface should be 100% rust free for it to properly work. He had once used it on a resto. According to him, surface looked rust free, but it was rusting from inside. Due to the tacky texture of the undercoat, it doesn't come off in flakes as regular paint when the it is rusting. Once a large enough area is rusted the whole thing falls down. Like a whole floor plate would fall off! Even when it falls off, the painted surface looks good with no signs of corrosion. This is what he said.

I've not seen this happen. His story was scary enough. I've gone with two part marine paint.

Ah! I see....hmm interesting bit of advice.There is a bit of minor surface rust in places which is why I want to use a rust-convertor on the areas being treated with undercoating first. But your advice does warrant some consideration, as I do plan on keeping this particular vehicle around for a bit and if the rust converting spray doesn't work then its going to rust underneath the undercoating...I'll have to look into this a bit further before deciding I guess.

Thanks for the advice @varotone ! I appreciate it. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Rust remover that I used is called "Rust remover 125" from Akzo Nobel. You have to sand the surface first, apply rust remover and scrub with a wire brush. Wash it off with water and apply primer as soon as it dries before corrosion starts again. Good for getting rust out of nooks and crannies.

Multilac has a rust converter which doesn't need to be washed off afterwards. Little hard to come by.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, Kavvz said:

You mean remove the rust and just spray under-body coating ? No....clear the rust....then primer it...paint it....just like any other panel....then decide if you want to put any sealant on or not (sometimes before putting any final/clear coat.

I can attest to @varotone's friend's experience...the Trueno had the thing sprayed on it...but the coating stayed on in the form of a shell but the metal underneath was rusted out. I might not agree directly with being put on brand new cars...but I think what he would have meant was that the coating has to be put on pretty much a completely clear and clean surface and it needs to be put on properly with absolutely no gaps or open creases (as that would cause water to go through and to make it works the undercoat would trap it.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

I mean to use type of stuff to stabilize the rust, (not the same brand, but a similar product) and then spray it over with undercoating. (I used it on some outdoor benches last year - used rust convertor and then painted it with outdoor paint- and it seems to be holding up , but then again, the underbody of a car is very different from a couple of chairs etc.)

So I take it its a no on the short-cut method of undercoating then: Okay. Thanks Gents, I appreciate it as always...

Edited by Kavvz

Members,

I remember (in 1960) Rust-olium in my young days this product originally imported to Ceylon by a British tools importer, their hands changed to a one of our enter pruner and today I don't think they import the product. Because there are plenty of rust proofing products are available in the market.

Many car tinkers I remember used  cheap Tar-nap in 1960,  which was a by product of Colombo Gas Company. It takes little time to dry but I remember that product covers very well. Never had a testing time for that product because the supplier ceased to function in Ceylon few decades ago.

Tar -nap was used as a wood preserve after diluting with Diesel or Kerosene oil.

Above post I posted is to inform early days cheap rust proofing what our reconditioning garages used to do their jobs. 

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi
typing error, for word repeat.
  • Thanks 2

Just a quick update. Work is mostly done, but my brother wanted to take her out for few days.

Colombo 5 to Kadugannawa, to Ambewela, to Hortain Plains(2 days there) and back to Colombo. 

Absolutely no issues at all. Except the handbrake cable snapping( passenger pulled it waay too hard off the thing.)

Drives/stops/Handles/Tackles with ease. AC is a blast.

Yes yes I know. Needs new tires, but the sizing we want is unavailable due to import ban.

Plus needs lots more work to finish it. But we were eager to say the least.

At Hortain plains.

IMG-f9f9232ca46a69fa852655d52ba450a5-V.jpg

• Like 2