• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project - 1969 Mitsubishi Jeep 4DR5 (J24)

fiat fan

8 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

I believe it’s a storage bin. The 2 batteries are under the hood like regular vehicles.

My-my, glad I asked! A built-in storage storage compartment right under the driver's feet: Great spot to stash something in a hurry! Now I want one even more.... ?

Edited by Kavvz

16 hours ago, Kavvz said:

My-my, glad I asked! A built-in storage storage compartment right under the driver's feet: Great spot to stash something in a hurry! Now I want one even more.... ?

It even comes with a cover. Also you can fix hinges and a lock,so that you can keep them leaves away from prying eyes.

And its also covered by any carpets on top. So if your like the magic plant. Jeep it is!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kavvz said:

What is this compart for? Batteries? 

Screenshot_20200729-031516_Samsung Internet.jpg

My late grandpa who was a planter had the lwb model with soft top, I distinctly remember him mentioning he used to stash the estate pay day cash in this chamber every  month from the bank to the office while he trotted back. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tiv said:

My late grandpa who was a planter had the lwb model with soft top, I distinctly remember him mentioning he used to stash the estate pay day cash in this chamber every  month from the bank to the office while he trotted back. 

Genius! I doubt anyone would ever think to look there during a grab and snatch!  Plus most people have a thick carpet in the driver's foot-well so that would totally mask any opening latch etc: A very cool spot for valuables! 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

fiat fan,

Very good detail pictures of your restoration, can you inform this work shop is situated in Colombo or out of Colombo. Pictures  back ground  I can see many newer cars. Do they do only tinkering and painting or all round repairs. It is good to know this type of people because today no one will want to undertake time consuming jobs like restorations of older Vehicles.

I have little space in my Colombo property, if not I also will undertake this type of restorations. The little knowledge of older vehicles I am confident can do them to satisfy costumers needs. When I read outside world many people are engaged in restoration of vehicles what ever they have in those countries. There are many spare part dealers in the world who are selling original spares or spares similar to originals.

I have restored many old vehicles in the past mostly, without cutting the corroded part of the vehicle. only by cleaning very well and make a little bigger part similar to the corroded section riveting the new iron sheath to that from inside of the vehicle or outside, later apply good epoxy mixed on to that section. Instead of  welding a new iron sheath. this saves time also will not go out of alignment of the section what a metal worker will work.

Above is limited to only straight sheath parts, like floor boards, door parts. Many sections need welding due to the shape of the body or the door sections. Application of epoxy is easy on straight sections, at times can use fiber glass cloth depends on the section. Have done to many vehicles for more than number of decades. I have posted about this few years back when one of my young worker wanted a vehicle for his family use. Riveting can use pop rivet or a Brass rivet, Brass rivet will give a better finish than a pop revert. finish with thin fiber glass cloth not the Fiber glass mat.

Member wants can give a demonstration,  I saw studied this method, metal sheath riveting and using Fiber glass mat this method to my self applying this in first class country. I studied from them very long years ago in late 1970.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Thanks 4

fiat fan,

I noticed a mechanic using a undercoat sealant to protect corroding, it is very good several automobile service dealers started undercoat protection but all of them have discontinued that service. I requested from a leading service station owner for reason to discontinue of that service, he informed the profit was not enough also very few customers did this protection done.

Did they do a sand blasting before the under seal protection?

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sylvi said:

I have restored many old vehicles in the past mostly, without cutting the corroded part of the vehicle. only by cleaning very well and make a little bigger part similar to the corroded section riveting the new iron sheath to that from inside of the vehicle or outside, later apply good epoxy mixed on to that section. Instead of  welding a new iron sheath. this saves time also will not go out of alignment of the section what a metal worker will work

Sylvi.

But there is a bit of risk and some drawbacks with the method you have listed above Mr. @Sylvi

1. Not cleaning it well and having a bit of rust left behind: If any rust is left behind it will continue to rust beneath the new paint layer. 

2. More importantly the rivet holes are a potential cause of reintroducing rust to the area being repaired. Also if any dirt or mud works its way between the metal repair plate and the original body it will trap moisture and eventually cause rust. 

3. By adding rivets, more epoxy than usual as well as a larger plate behind the spot being repaired you'll be adding additional weight. Not an issue if its only a small area, but if there is more than one area being repaired the additional weight might be a factor to consider.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kavvz said:

But there is a bit of risk and some drawbacks with the method you have listed above Mr. @Sylvi

1. Not cleaning it well and having a bit of rust left behind: If any rust is left behind it will continue to rust beneath the new paint layer. 

2. More importantly the rivet holes are a potential cause of introducing rust to the area being repaired. Also if any dirt or mud works its way between the metal repair plate and the original body it will trap moisture and eventually cause rust. 

3. By adding rivets, more epoxy than usual as well as a larger plate behind the spot being repaired you'll be adding a lot of additional weight. Not an issue if its only a small area, but if there is more than one area being repaired the additional weight might be a factor to consider.

Thank you for all drawbacks what you have mentioned, you are correct and I agree. I did this after educating few friends of mine in my country. As I mentioned this was seen in a another country doing this type of corroded parts repair I thought and will try this for the time factor.

One thing I did not mentioned in that post was, I got the person (tinker) to cut off all corroded parts of the riveting section, to stop further spreading of corrosion. I came across one Nissan car which I did that after about 5 years I had a chat with the new owner ( the vehicle hands had changed few times) and examined the point on the bottom near the windscreen glass part which I got my tinker to do the patch work pop reverting the corroded part, inside I cannot say top even the present owner did not know that part had been changed with a pop riveting with a new paint. Rivet head was also grounded by using a grinder strength of rivet will not loose to minimum for painting. If not the rivet head will be popping out visible after painting. Little bit of more metal filler was used to get the correct shape,

Long years ago in late 1960 to late 1970 never did above rivet repair that time all ways cutoff the corroded section by using the Oxygen Acetylene flame and weld a part of metal sheath to repair corroded sections.

My reply posts are little longer due to long explanations of mine what ever I did in the past. In 1960 1970  era we did not have angle grinders with very thin cutting wheels. All was done by cutting with the hot flame or using a Chisel to cut corroded sections, at times hack saw blade (Eclipse) was also used to cut of the area after using the chisel to get space.

Ms. Browns was the agent for UK made Eclipse hack saw blades at that time, no Chinese or any others. Cost was Rs, 2/= for high speed and Rs, 1.25 for all heard blade. When Chinese first came they were under 25 Cents. Ms, Hunters had the agency for best tools like High speed Drill bits of Presto, all type of Lucas tools, Box spanners, Ball racer pullers, Pachikawatthe biggest tools stockist was Ms, A.C.Paul and at Old moor Street (which was  a small cart road) Samuel  sons carried most high quality tools.

After 1960 late only all small time motor spare part dealers came up in Panchikawatthe. Almost buildings were single story Calcult tiled ( sinhala ulu. Tiles)  houses converted to shops. Some big timers today (Second and Third generation doing business) in that road were the pavement hawkers selling old spares as all used vehicles were brought to that road and dismantled for spares. After 1962 Panchikawattha had a very big change of buildings with three or more flows. Today big business name was started in a small room lending money for the day to day hawkers to pay back on the end of the day, later he stared importing (After 1977) spares and indenting spares to others. He named his business by one of this close relative and pass of few years ago.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sylvi said:

My reply posts are little longer due to long explanations of mine what ever I did in the past.

I actually look forward to your replies: The little gems of Automotive and Colombo history they often contain are simply amazing!  Thank you for sharing them with us Mr. @Sylvi

Edited by Kavvz
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sylvi said:

fiat fan,

Very good detail pictures of your restoration, can you inform this work shop is situated in Colombo or out of Colombo. Pictures  back ground  I can see many newer cars. Do they do only tinkering and painting or all round repairs. It is good to know this type of people because today no one will want to undertake time consuming jobs like restorations of older Vehicles.

I have little space in my Colombo property, if not I also will undertake this type of restorations. The little knowledge of older vehicles I am confident can do them to satisfy costumers needs. When I read outside world many people are engaged in restoration of vehicles what ever they have in those countries. There are many spare part dealers in the world who are selling original spares or spares similar to originals.

I have restored many old vehicles in the past mostly, without cutting the corroded part of the vehicle. only by cleaning very well and make a little bigger part similar to the corroded section riveting the new iron sheath to that from inside of the vehicle or outside, later apply good epoxy mixed on to that section. Instead of  welding a new iron sheath. this saves time also will not go out of alignment of the section what a metal worker will work.

Above is limited to only straight sheath parts, like floor boards, door parts. Many sections need welding due to the shape of the body or the door sections. Application of epoxy is easy on straight sections, at times can use fiber glass cloth depends on the section. Have done to many vehicles for more than number of decades. I have posted about this few years back when one of my young worker wanted a vehicle for his family use. Riveting can use pop rivet or a Brass rivet, Brass rivet will give a better finish than a pop revert. finish with thin fiber glass cloth not the Fiber glass mat.

Member wants can give a demonstration,  I saw studied this method, metal sheath riveting and using Fiber glass mat this method to my self applying this in first class country. I studied from them very long years ago in late 1970.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

12 hours ago, Sylvi said:

fiat fan,

I noticed a mechanic using a undercoat sealant to protect corroding, it is very good several automobile service dealers started undercoat protection but all of them have discontinued that service. I requested from a leading service station owner for reason to discontinue of that service, he informed the profit was not enough also very few customers did this protection done.

Did they do a sand blasting before the under seal protection?

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I would be happy to come see your work, when I am am back in Sri Lanka.

The garage is owned by my brothers Wife’s Cousin. It is in Gamapaha. I will get the details of it. They are one of the biggest in Gampaha. They undertake new and old vehicles. The guy himself is a big off-road fan and has several old beauties he restored. They undertake any repair. Even full projects/restores and such.

Their work is much better and much less costly than others. He uses german brands and such for paint works. The workmanship is also high. Not promoting them, but good work can be expected from them.

The rust was very minimal and surface at most.All of that has been taken care of. Replacement was gladly not necessary.

Regarding the undercoating. Since the Jeep will be used 90% off the trail and not be a pavement princess, we decided on a full coating using good quality wurth(super expensive) coating. We also did the full floorboard ,bumpers, side steps and others. 

We want to have the vehicle in immaculate condition.Costly but worth it in the long run.

Sand blasting was done beforehand.

• Like 1

Update!

The paint work is done.

Handing it over to the AC guy in the evening. He will be done by the 3rd.

All the nuts(each and every one) has been changed to stainless steel. 

Details Details.

Await pics guys.

Edited by fiat fan
Added to post.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Update!

The paint work is done.

Handing it over to the AC guy in the evening. He will be done by the 3rd.

All the nuts(each and every one) has been changed to stainless steel. 

Details Details.

Await pics guys.

Wow! The rate of progress sounds awesome~ very impressive! 

• Like 1

fat fan,

Posts by you about restoration of vehicles in Gampaha, is interesting. I like to visit because I do go to JA ELA last few days for development work of a land of mine,

land was neglected for almost four months due to the curfew. My watcher left me due to a family problem of his, just before the curfew and the land was neglected. I got a new watcher and supervise daily, as few changes are being done to the house their, CEB Power supply meter inside the gate. CEB, 3PH Meter cannot read if there is no one their. There are four more privater meters fixed inside which supply power to other rented buildings. 

With your permeation if I can get a introduction to visit that work shop to have look at restoration, will be appreciated.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi. 

On 7/31/2020 at 8:49 AM, Kavvz said:

Wow! The rate of progress sounds awesome~ very impressive! 

Thanks mate. The fellow is known. So we are going at a rapid pace(Even I am surprised). 

On 7/31/2020 at 1:50 PM, Sylvi said:

fat fan,

Posts by you about restoration of vehicles in Gampaha, is interesting. I like to visit because I do go to JA ELA last few days for development work of a land of mine,

land was neglected for almost four months due to the curfew. My watcher left me due to a family problem of his, just before the curfew and the land was neglected. I got a new watcher and supervise daily, as few changes are being done to the house their, CEB Power supply meter inside the gate. CEB, 3PH Meter cannot read if there is no one their. There are four more privater meters fixed inside which supply power to other rented buildings. 

With your permeation if I can get a introduction to visit that work shop to have look at restoration, will be appreciated.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi. 

I’m sorry to hear about the issues you had. It is hard to find good people to work these days, I myself face the same issue.

You are very welcome to visit the work site, but unfortunately it was moved on Friday as mentioned before, for the AC work. It is also in Gampaha,but I do not have the location details yet. I will get back to you soon as possible.

13 hours ago, fiat fan said:

I’m sorry to hear about the issues you had. It is hard to find good people to work these days, I myself face the same issue.

You are very welcome to visit the work site, but unfortunately it was moved on Friday as mentioned before, for the AC work. It is also in Gampaha,but I do not have the location details yet. I will get back to you soon as possible.

fat fan,

OK. I can visit when the vehicle is ready to have a look, today restoration cost  is about 5 times or more of the original cost of a old vehicle.

Even building restorations also cost is about same, my house in Colombo cost me Three flows about 20 years ago Concrete and brick building approximately  Rs. 2000/00 a square foot. Today to add another 550 Square feet by demolishing and rebuilding cost had gone more than 10000/00 Rupees a square foot. That is not luxury bathrooms like star class, durable ordinary fittings available in the market upgrading the complete water supply system, by replacing down pipe water supply system using 4 inch PVC pipe instead of 2 inch pipe, to get more water pressure for bathrooms showers. replacing old supply system using 2 inches PVC pope reduced to 1/2 inch at the final end supply.

Popular instant hot water Geyser, what is available which needs pressure pump incorporated only for top 3rd flow, this small pump gives trouble in few months, unlike without pressure pump. Geyser pump racers have to replace every 6 months. I found another new brand in the market bought 10 of them with a special discount. I want to try this new brand which is 1/3 Cost of the other popular brand (S). Made in another developing country.

From my very young days I grew up in a Automobile and Electrical service back ground, originally  my late father bought me a Skoda -1100 car for Rupees 1000/= CN 7075 in year 1964. This car was presented to Roman Catholic by a very close relative of mine in her last will. Church refused to take this after demise of my relative, car was in her garage for few years, later District Court  ordered to get a valuation by AA  and sell same, deposit money in Court so that later that money will go to Church. I used same till the new Vehicles came to the market in year 1977. I my self imported a Toyota RH16 Hi-ace van used only for few months sold with a profit. I became a importer of vehicles due to the then starved market in Sri Lanka. Vehicles what we had before 1977 all of them were made in UK, German, Italy, USA brands. Japanese brands came in a very big way after 1977. All other new vehicles Indian Chinese came in later years, after they started to manufacturing them for world market.

I have deviated from Automobiles to Civil Engineering and back to old subject, Hope you and other members will understand me. I all-ways like to share what ever I do for others to do, I have not failed so far what ever I did in my life.   A very big gamble I did from deviating from one to another automobile service. Which no one in the automobile service did successfully.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi
Additional word was removed, typing mistake.

22 hours ago, Sylvi said:

fat fan,

OK. I can visit when the vehicle is ready to have a look, today restoration cost  is about 5 times or more of the original cost of a old vehicle.

Even building restorations also cost is about same, my house in Colombo cost me Three flows about 20 years ago Concrete and brick building approximately  Rs. 2000/00 a square foot. Today to add another 550 Square feet by demolishing and rebuilding cost had gone more than 10000/00 Rupees a square foot. That is not luxury bathrooms like star class, durable ordinary fittings available in the market upgrading the complete water supply system, by replacing down pipe water supply system using 4 inch PVC pipe instead of 2 inch pipe, to get more water pressure for bathrooms showers. replacing old supply system using 2 inches PVC pope reduced to 1/2 inch at the final end supply.

Popular instant hot water Geyser, what is available which needs pressure pump incorporated only for top 3rd flow, this small pump gives trouble in few months, unlike without pressure pump. Geyser pump racers have to replace every 6 months. I found another new brand in the market bought 10 of them with a special discount. I want to try this new brand which is 1/3 Cost of the other popular brand (S). Made in another developing country.

From my very young days I grew up in a Automobile and Electrical service back ground, originally  my late father bought me a Skoda -1100 car for Rupees 1000/= CN 7075 in year 1964. This car was presented to Roman Catholic by a very close relative of mine in her last will. Church refused to take this after demise of my relative, car was in her garage for few years, later District Court  ordered to get a valuation by AA  and sell same, deposit money in Court so that later that money will go to Church. I used same till the new Vehicles came to the market in year 1977. I my self imported a Toyota RH16 Hi-ace van used only for few months sold with a profit. I became a importer of vehicles due to the then starved market in Sri Lanka. Vehicles what we had before 1977 all of them were made in UK, German, Italy, USA brands. Japanese brands came in a very big way after 1977. All other new vehicles Indian Chinese came in later years, after they started to manufacturing them for world market.

I have deviated from Automobiles to Civil Engineering and back to old subject, Hope you and other members will understand me. I all-ways like to share what ever I do for others to do, I have not failed so far what ever I did in my life.   A very big gamble I did from deviating from one to another automobile service. Which no one in the automobile service did successfully.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

I look forward to reading your valuable information. The memories And nostalgia is a reason I always prefer the old school things.

Fat fan,

Thank you for your post to say that the memories of my self are valuable. Almost all my friends and relatives say I have a good memory and relate them like they happened yesterday, my late parents and my late only sister also use to relate things in the past very well. My late father who was a 1st WW RASC solder, who served in Basra present IRAC used to relate all about war stories, sister used to relate about 2WW history because the day that Colombo was bombed by Japs, they were in Colombo. She informs that they were in Church that day when the Sirens started, Most devotees came out of the church hurried to their respective homes to get under the bunkers. They were compulsory by then Colonial regime had requested to build.

I can relate from 1st Harthal in 1953 as I remember Curfew was declared by then Governor General, few buildings were set on fire most government department employees joined the strike. Galle road was deserted no public transport. Few days later buses ( Double deckers) were driven by army drivers on the main roads. 1958 communal problems almost all our Jafna residents who were residing in Colombo were requested to occupy Colombo Schools. Few days later all of them were send to Jafna in the night by few ships we had in Colombo harbor. Few went to other developed countries.

1st old crock automobile rally was held in Colombo, sponsored by Tuckers Autodrome at Union place. During 1950 then Ceylon had only few automobile repair Garages. Except for automobile agents other few good garages were operated by all old workmen who had worked with automobile agents. All bus companies had very good Mechanics who maintained their buses very well.

After CTB took over the private companies they started auctioning used old bus chassis complete, some parts from them were taken out for the already running bus repairs, many lorry owners bought old double docker buses. Their makes were GUY and Leylend all those buses were made to single flat bed lorries to transport containers.

One reason to sell them was some of them were made more than 20 years ago, at that time and used them in UK sold to our county. UK they had discontinued to manufacture spares for them. Few very old Guy double decker buses were bought by customer of mine who had an industry to distribute his products,  he only wanted space and not the carrying weight, He never told me that he had bought Guy old buses. One day when I visited his factory for repairs of his  Generator, I saw newly build two lorries were parked without any numbers. I went round them wanted to know the reason for not using them, then his maintenance officer told me that they cannot register them due to a brake system was not working satisfactory. later in Colombo I told the owner to send one lorry to Colombo to my place I will try to do some thing to correct that problem.

In Colombo I had to park that lorry on a by road to attend the repair, I got 12 very good experienced mechanics to correct this problem all of them failed. One top engineer retired from CTB told me to contact one senior charge hand from Ratmalana depot that he will give instructions to correct the problem. He examined and told me CTB discontinued this model of buses due to this problem not having the spares for the  vacuum pump frailer, to build up enough Vacuum for efficient brakes. This was before open economy era.

I modified the seals of vacuum pump, rebuild worn out pump rotor unit plates fixed a vacuum gauge (meter to get the reading) efficiency of brakes came up to 80% on a brake testing meter when the brakes was tested.

Above is one of the memorable modifications what I had done in the past, I few years back did same to one of the AL members who had a brake problem on his jeep, also he had a alternator was not producing enough ampears at low RPM, HAD TO CHANGE HIS CRANK PULLEY TO GIVE MORE RPM, FOR MORE AMPEARS FROM THE ALTERNATOR.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi

• Thanks 2

Update.

This what a 51 year old fuel tank looks like.

The tank had several tiny holes on it. It has been cut open. And it has been repaired. The inner walls were rustproofed and painted. So was the exterior.

Also we put new panels inside the tank(lined the walls) in Stainless Steel.

Jeep is currently in the Canopy place. 

81DE02D6-6CC8-4FB4-88EA-D8FE19901E40.jpeg

E07146A8-6AE0-4381-B594-7E6464B2CF8D.jpeg

E3232166-D0F2-43FD-87B7-ACA5E7D32461.jpeg

58E70671-3657-447B-AD44-F2DA2E2E0CBD.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fiat fan said:

AC has been fixed. The cooling is Awesome it seems.

22AF69A2-F3DA-4951-93D3-06889DC218D4.jpeg

But you guys have open sides (safari style doors) on this right? Will the cooling be of any use / will it cool the interior other than just blow cold air on your face? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kavvz said:

But you guys have open sides (safari style doors) on this right? Will the cooling be of any use / will it cool the interior other than just blow cold air on your face? 

Actually we are gonna fit the doors. Them flaps are pain at higher speeds. 

Not expecting an igloo like AC. Just to take the sweat off when driving in traffic.

47 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Actually we are gonna fit the doors. Them flaps are pain at higher speeds. 

Not expecting an igloo like AC. Just to take the sweat off when driving in traffic.

Ah, I see! Yeap, being stuck in traffic with no A/C or a breeze to cool you off is definately something that gets old fast! 

Edited by Kavvz

Update.

This what a 51 year old fuel tank looks like.

The tank had several tiny holes on it. It has been cut open. And it has been repaired. The inner walls were rustproofed and painted. So was the exterior.

Also we put new panels inside the tank(lined the walls) in Stainless Steel.

Fat fan,

Very interesting post by you. Permanent Fuel leak leak stop by having a SS tank inside the original tank.

Your update of above fuel tank, you state that fuel tank will be lined with SS sheath that means inside there will be a stainless steal tank completely covering your original tank. I don't think any one will do this type of rebuilding a tank which will last for many Generations to come, Very good idea can you inform thickness of SS sheath what is going to be inside the original tank.

Another AL member did a rebuilding of a jeep with a double AC incorporated into the engine, he had Alternator not generating enough Amperage for slow speeds driving. I have mentioned about same in a early post.

He posted many posts about his jeep of all what he did few years ago to AL. If  necessary can give his contact number.

Best wishes for good rebuilding.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.