• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fixing a New Horn

amsandun

Guys, I bought a new Hella Classic Horn set for my Vitz and going to fix it (didn't want to do myself but looking forward to If I can make it). I am extending from my question in the following thread and reply from @tiv . Just finding facts and getting guidance.

The safest way to do this is, not to meddle with the factory wiring even if there is a relay, just make a new harness for the horn, a separate relay, triggered by the horn with supply direct from the battery via a a good fuse link. High quality wiring, clamps and crimping is a must with 1 layer of insulation and 1 layer of heatshielding/ braiding. And zip ties to anchor the wiring. Crimping and heat shrink it's better than soldering, if possible or atleast solder, do not twist wires and tape.

If you do have a relay in the factory loom, you can just split the existing line and upgrade the relay in the fuse box for your new horn set.

Quoted is the @tiv reply.

It seems that there is a relay in the Fuse box and a separate fuse for the Horn. But the thing is the relay is a Relay Integration (highlighted below). It's a single unit with several fuses. So, can I use the existing line and split it to connect the two horns in the new set without using a new relay? What is the method if I must install a new relay too?

fusebox.thumb.jpg.5b2ea4d073c4cbab355251a5598d320e.jpg

5 hours ago, amsandun said:

Guys, I bought a new Hella Classic Horn set for my Vitz and going to fix it (didn't want to do myself but looking forward to If I can make it). I am extending from my question in the following thread and reply from @tiv . Just finding facts and getting guidance.

Quoted is the @tiv reply.

It seems that there is a relay in the Fuse box and a separate fuse for the Horn. But the thing is the relay is a Relay Integration (highlighted below). It's a single unit with several fuses. So, can I use the existing line and split it to connect the two horns in the new set without using a new relay? What is the method if I must install a new relay too?

fusebox.thumb.jpg.5b2ea4d073c4cbab355251a5598d320e.jpg

Do not use that, expensive to fix if you burn something or if the horns screw up.

wiring directly to the integrated hifi relay, may maynot go well depending on the load set by your horns

so to be safe

use the oem line as a trigger and fix a new relay with socket separately, that way the car is always safe. You can always go back to oem with just a scissor. 

do not go to stuff that relay inside the factory boxes, anchor it elsewhere. Use a relay with socket always.

Get the power feed to the relay from the battery with a fused line with the fuse being like 2cm from the battery terminal, throughly insulated and zip tied to a place. 10A fuse is enough 

then ground the relay to a nearby nut, take the power out from the relay and wire up your horns, if the horns have 2 pins, clip 2 ground wires to the horn and secure that ground to a separate nut, not the nut holding the horns to the body, 

if the horn has any openings face them down as water pooling inside will damage the horns.

use zip ties, clips and crimping tools. Do not attempt if you are not confident. Double insulation on normal wires, triple insulation on joints.

The above way bth 12v feeds going into the relay are fused, thereby nothing can short circuit.

cars aRe constantly moving And getting wet, so wiring is a bit overdone unlike static indoor wiring at homes 

also that battery tap wire with the fuse that you set can be used for all future mods, ie car amp, fog lights, light bars, more horns, neons, whatnot 

Just need to 1 up the fuse when needed to match the load. 
using wiring capable of at least taking 20A

Edited by tiv
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, tiv said:

Get the power feed to the relay from the battery with a fused line with the fuse being like 2cm from the battery terminal, throughly insulated and zip tied to a place. 10A fuse is enough

Thanks tiv, pls explain the above to me. you mean directly connect a fused wire to the battery terminal and get the power out to the new circuit?

what are the types of fuse I can use for this. A normal fuse just like in the fuse box is ok?

I found the following Relay circuit for new horn from the internet. hope this is correct as that's basically the every diagram I found shows. 

736268202_relaycircuit.png.0f3f7909d50b90d88b601c954b28314e.png

33 minutes ago, amsandun said:

Thanks tiv, pls explain the above to me. you mean directly connect a fused wire to the battery terminal and get the power out to the new circuit?

what are the types of fuse I can use for this. A normal fuse just like in the fuse box is ok?

I found the following Relay circuit for new horn from the internet. hope this is correct as that's basically the every diagram I found shows. 

736268202_relaycircuit.png.0f3f7909d50b90d88b601c954b28314e.png

This works but the fuse is not shown here 

also the stock horn will have only a 12v lead, will mostly be self grounded.

I have done this in my Vitz. When I bought the Hella horns from Motorc@de I also bought a wire harness that is used to convert single horn set up to double horn step (cost about Rs. 400). The harness comes from the factory so its pretty neat where there are wire splits and joints so there is no need to twist/ solder wires. Then I went to an electrician known to me. What he did was put a new relay, give power to the horns directly from the battery (with a fused power line) and used the factory horn switch line as the trigger.

Hope this helps let me know if I can give more info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ghostwriter said:

I have done this in my Vitz. When I bought the Hella horns from Motorc@de I also bought a wire harness that is used to convert single horn set up to double horn step (cost about Rs. 400). The harness comes from the factory so its pretty neat where there are wire splits and joints so there is no need to twist/ solder wires. Then I went to an electrician known to me. What he did was put a new relay, give power to the horns directly from the battery (with a fused power line) and used the factory horn switch line as the trigger.

Hope this helps let me know if I can give more info.

thanks brother, it really helps. I need more info. Did you buy the wire harness from Motorcade or somewhere else? How did the electrician give power directly from battery? did he setup a new fused line from the battery itself? can you post some photos please?

by factory horn switch line you mean the two wires that currently connects to the horn  right? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amsandun said:

thanks brother, it really helps. I need more info. Did you buy the wire harness from Motorcade or somewhere else? How did the electrician give power directly from battery? did he setup a new fused line from the battery itself? can you post some photos please?

by factory horn switch line you mean the two wires that currently connects to the horn  right? 

Yes bought the harness from motorcade itself. 

Power given to the horns directly from the battery through the relay via a fused power line.  So yes a wire is drawn from the battery to the relay. 

Photos will not show anything bro after doing the wiring and fixing it has been covered is in black insulated wire protectors and tightened with electrical tape. Even if the bonnet is opened there is nothing to see as everything is covered, insulated and attached to the original wiring paths.

As I can remember there is only one wire coming to the factory fitted horn. 

I don't have knowledge with these electrical stuff thats why I got it done through an electrician. I can guide you to him if you want to. He is based in Pannipitiya. 

Edited by ghostwriter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ghostwriter said:

Yes bought the harness from motorcade itself. 

Power given to the horns directly from the battery through the relay via a fused power line.  So yes a wire is drawn from the battery to the relay. 

Photos will not show anything bro after doing the wiring and fixing it has been covered is in black insulated wire protectors and tightened with electrical tape. Even if the bonnet is opened there is nothing to see as everything is covered, insulated and attached to the original wiring paths.

As I can remember there is only one wire coming to the factory fitted horn. 

I don't have knowledge with these electrical stuff thats why I got it done through an electrician. I can guide you to him if you want to. He is based in Pannipitiya. 

Thanks for the information brother. I will check with Motorade for the wire harness. Please give me/PM the contact and location of the electrician you mentioned. Better watch some expert do things before attempting electrical stuff myself. :) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2021 at 9:38 AM, chriswije said:

Try the Fiamm brand horns which comes oem on euro cars, the relay switch is included as well. www.wasi.lk has them at a low price.

oh! more than a year later... I fixed a Hella classic twin horn set from Motorcade last year. :) Does well for me.

• 2 months later...

To clean the internal, hidden from the eyes cavities, it's enough to arm yourself with a vial of simple vinegar, which can be found in every kitchen. It is necessary to remove the "speaker" and set it vertically so that it doesn't fall down. Vinegar very gently removes rust, oxidation, and seals from dust and dirt, often the causes of failure. Physical strength and perseverance, in our case, are not the best helpers, so we pour the vinegar into the funnel to the top and leave it overnight in the garage or on the balcony. In the end, you will have a loud horn that will work without obstruction.

Edited by cristiking