• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Excessive vibration allion 260

GayanR

Question

Hi guys,So recently i did an engine tune up.Also Changed the spark plugs using toyota orginals.But now the engine has an excessive vibration at idle.It can be felt from steering wheel to seats.Car idles at around 600rpm.But if i press the break peddle very hard or when the a/c kicks in there is no vibration.no vibration at 800rpm.it doesn’t matter if i put the gear to N vibration is still there.Other than that no running issue drives smoothly.Before the tuneup there was no vibration.

Edited by GayanR

8 answers to this question

4 hours ago, GayanR said:

I checked the mounts from a garage no visible damage.They are old though.Engine doesn’t wobly in appearance while at idle.Should i start with replacing the mounts?

If no vibration is there before tune-up, then why you are going to replace mounts? 

Probably the guy who did it has cleared all learned parameters so, it will take some time to learn idle rpm + your driving pattern. 

How many kilometres you traveled after the tune-up? 

Wait till you drive 50 - 60 km s in different driving conditions with lots of start and stops. If nothing improved, then you could start further investigations. 

34 minutes ago, GayanR said:

Hi guys,So recently i did an engine tune up.Also Changed the spark plugs using toyota orginals.But now the engine has an excessive vibration at idle.It can be felt from steering wheel to seats.Car idles at around 600rpm.But if i press the break peddle very hard or when the a/c kicks in there is no vibration.no vibration at 800rpm.it doesn’t matter if i put the gear to N vibration is still there.Other than that no running issue drives smoothly.Before the tuneup there was no vibration.

Did you check your engine mounts and its rubber bushes, and the steering rack bushes?. Same issue comes up with cars that have the 1KRFE engine due to excess engine vibration.  The tune up might have cleaned the throttle body and the engine might be idling lower than it used to be. this might cause you to feel a bigger rattle at low rpm if your mounts are worn off. 

2 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Did you check your engine mounts and its rubber bushes, and the steering rack bushes?. Same issue comes up with cars that have the 1KRFE engine due to excess engine vibration.  The tune up might have cleaned the throttle body and the engine might be idling lower than it used to be. this might cause you to feel a bigger rattle at low rpm if your mounts are worn off. 

I checked the mounts from a garage no visible damage.They are old though.Engine doesn’t wobly in appearance while at idle.Should i start with replacing the mounts?

48 minutes ago, hrm said:

How are your mounts? Idle RPM is just about right. I also get a slight vibration just lime that but not excessive.

It’s not that excessive.But it can be felt.previously it was not there.

1 hour ago, GayanR said:

Do you hear timing belt squeals in the morning in a cold start? mismatched timing can give throw off a little vibration. 

Replacing engine mounts are a place to start but since its going to be a little expensive, so before you do try and check your ball joints and tie rod ends. 

13 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Replacing engine mounts are a place to start but since its going to be a little expensive, so before you do try and check your ball joints and tie rod ends. 

I highly doubt it's to do with ball joints or tie rod ends since the vibration is at idle. 

@GayanR , Since you say that the vibration stops when you press the brake pedal, it might be that there's a vacuum leak. The mechanic may have forgotten to connect a vacuum line or left one of them improperly connected. You should be able to do a visual inspection around the throttle body and observe each vacuum line. Pay extra attention to the one that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold. 

If all the vacuum lines are okay, it might be the ECU still re-learning as Gayanath said. If the job was done with the battery disconnected, this would cause the ECU to reset. 

• Like 1

It most likely is what @gayanath mentioned. It could be that the ECU is still learning the parameters after the tuneup...it could be that it was completely wiped-out/reset..or it could be that after the tune up the set parameters need to be self calibrated because air/fuel/etc..inflows/outflows/mixtures have changed. So if you have only run a little bit after the tune up..give it some time...run the car for a few more km....

Of course..knowing the local garages and mechanics at agents...it could also be because of what @Davy indicated.

Highly unlikely it is because of the tie rods or the rack or anything....in the Vitz/1KR-FE engines cars it is actually the other way..the mounts and bushes go bad because of the vibrations caused by the 3 cylinder engine. 

• Like 1