• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

bpbrajapaksha

Question

18 answers to this question

Must you ? The 2L variant is okay for city use where you sit around mostly in traffic. But the car is sluggish. The car weighs a bit too much for the engine. So you won't be doing any quick accelerations in trafic (to close the gap) or you won't be doing much more than a leisurely cruise on outstation runs. When the car is fully loaded (4 passengers..luggage..going up a hill) you will feel the lack of power. It will get you where you want to go...but you will feel the lack of power compared to the RAV4 (2.4L) and CRV (2 and 2.4L) of the era. Yes...the 2L CRV feels more peppier than a 2L XTrail because the CRV has lesser weight and more power.

The lack of power also is reflected in the fuel consumption. At the end of the day even with the 2L engine you will realistically be averaging only about 7 (8ish or a bit more if the car is in good shape and you are a conservative driver and car is used without much load). Ironically the 2.5L variants I know of are also giving the same sort of fuel figures.

So if you can afford it...please do go for a 2.5L variant. It is car that is much easier to live with.

Also...I merged both your threads in to one place so it is easier to comment and keeps the forum a bit more organized.

Please do search the forum for additional info about the car as well as must-dos when buying a used car (registered or unregistered)

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Also...I merged both your threads in to one place so it is easier to comment and keeps the forum a bit more organized.

Please do search the forum for additional info about the car as well as must-dos when buying a used car (registered or unregistered)

Thank you so much

It was an attempt to bring back diesel engines to the local passenger car segment in Japan after 10years. Marketed as clean diesel with German common rail injection technology. However it was not popular, since Japanese prefer petrol engines and don't usually travel long distances like in Europe where diesels provide better fuel economy. I think Nissan discontinued production after a while, therefore  engine spare parts might be hard to find in the recondition/ used market.

Edited by vag2
  • Like 1

From what I’ve heard T31 diesel is a good car, albeit came down in limited volumes due to only being brought down on permits. It has a conventional auto ( not CVT) hence decent pulling, and good on road handling. You may not get many examples and the ones you see would’ve done a lot of mileage typical for diesels. 

I’ve watched a few videos where the T31 does some decent off reading where the T32 struggled miserably.  Hardy car but as someone posted may struggle to find after market parts. The agent is a bit of nightmare. 

From T32, I think Nissan shifted to a frugal 1.6 liter manual which was fuel efficient but had very bad pulling power. 

Anyways with the bad reputation the HT32 has you might be able to pick a decent car for a steal. 

As @vag2 mentioned the diesel X Trail was Nissan's attempt of re-entering the diesel passenger crossover market. It was mainly driven by the fact that diesel Pajeros were selling like crazy and Nissan wanted to capitalize on capturing part of the long distance running off-road loving crowd (since the Patrol was also pulled out of the market). Yes the Japanese consider diesel engines as rugged, commercial class engines and cheap and dirty; not suitable for a family vehicle..but the government was offering subsidies for clean diesel engines so people were more accepting of the XTrail diesel...so the car did do pretty well until the likes of the CX-5 diesel was introduced (by which time the X-Trail itself was losing ground because it was old. This was also a time where a proper diesel option for the Japanese market was only offered in the Pajero whilst Toyota was being wishy washy with their diesel offerings for the Prado). The diesel variant was taken away for the T32 series because that was offered in Hybrid form in Japan.However..the diesel X-Trail was available in other markets before and after it was there in the Japanese market. 

Drove one a few times....it feels like a typical diesel car. Has a bit of engine noise coming through (although muffled). Ride is same as a petrol variant but from what I remember it was a bit sluggish (but to be fair I drove it soon after driving a CX5 diesel which felt much more modern and lighter)

Where mechanical parts are concerned it might be not as accessible as the other have mentioned.

May I ask why you want a diesel variant ? As I mentioned in your other thread (I think it was you)....the most viable variant for the T31 series is the 2.5L variant.  If you want a diesel vehicle in this segment...then your safest option would be the Korean offerings. No matter what Japanese diesel model you look at you are going ot have the problem with parts and rarity because these cars would have been imported from non-Japanese markets

11 hours ago, iRage said:

May I ask why you want a diesel variant ? 

iRage touches on what I think is the most important question here. Why do you want the diesel? For what purpose and will the cost savings of running a diesel SUV justify the extra capital cost (and possibly increased maintenance costs- parts as well as frequency) ? 

On 7/21/2020 at 5:10 AM, iRage said:

Must you ? The 2L variant is okay for city use where you sit around mostly in traffic. But the car is sluggish. The car weighs a bit too much for the engine. So you won't be doing any quick accelerations in trafic (to close the gap) or you won't be doing much more than a leisurely cruise on outstation runs. When the car is fully loaded (4 passengers..luggage..going up a hill) you will feel the lack of power. It will get you where you want to go...but you will feel the lack of power compared to the RAV4 (2.4L) and CRV (2 and 2.4L) of the era. Yes...the 2L CRV feels more peppier than a 2L XTrail because the CRV has lesser weight and more power.

The lack of power also is reflected in the fuel consumption. At the end of the day even with the 2L engine you will realistically be averaging only about 7 (8ish or a bit more if the car is in good shape and you are a conservative driver and car is used without much load). Ironically the 2.5L variants I know of are also giving the same sort of fuel figures.

So if you can afford it...please do go for a 2.5L variant. It is car that is much easier to live with.

Well, finally I got an idea about this vehicle. I need to conclude this and take a decision. I have chosen t31 petrol. How is the second hand market? 

4 hours ago, bpbrajapaksha said:

Well, finally I got idea about this vehicle. I need to conclude this and take a decision. I have chosen t31 petrol. How is the second hand market? 

Please do not rush to buy a car in Sri Lanka. There are a lot of junk cars out there so please move forward carefully. 

I have no idea about the second hand market. There aren't as many around as the typical RAV4, Sorento, etc...but they are around. Values also seem to be around the same as around the RAV4, etc...so I suppose it is not bad. 

Do not focus too much on the second hand market. Especially for a car this old.  First priority shold be to see if the car will suit your purposes and if the car is in good shape (i.e. honest car). Even if the second hand market was an issue; you need to remember:

1. A bulk of the depreciation has already been absorbed by the previous owners. So your depreciation would be much lower. Simple economic principle along with the acceptance that cars are depreciating assets.

2.. You would have bought it for a price cheaper than the other models out there. When you are selling it off...yes you will sell it for a low price, but since you bought it for low what you would have lost is also relatively low.

Cars get sold. No one on the planet has a car that they stuck with for a life time because there was no second hand market. As long as the vehicle is taken care of honestly and priced reasonably..it will get sold (look around....you will see that the cars that stick around for long periods of time are cars that are very dodgy and/or priced ridiculously high).

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Please do not rush to buy a car in Sri Lanka. There are a lot of junk cars out there so please move forward carefully. 

I have no idea about the second hand market. There aren't as many around as the typical RAV4, Sorento, etc...but they are around. Values also seem to be around the same as around the RAV4, etc...so I suppose it is not bad. 

Do not focus too much on the second hand market. Especially for a car this old.  First priority shold be to see if the car will suit your purposes and if the car is in good shape (i.e. honest car). Even if the second hand market was an issue; you need to remember:

1. A bulk of the depreciation has already been absorbed by the previous owners. So your depreciation would be much lower. Simple economic principle along with the acceptance that cars are depreciating assets.

2.. You would have bought it for a price cheaper than the other models out there. When you are selling it off...yes you will sell it for a low price, but since you bought it for low what you would have lost is also relatively low.

Cars get sold. No one on the planet has a car that they stuck with for a life time because there was no second hand market. As long as the vehicle is taken care of honestly and priced reasonably..it will get sold (look around....you will see that the cars that stick around for long periods of time are cars that are very dodgy and/or priced ridiculously high).

Thank you @iRage for this useful information

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uresh88 said:

What are the variation in T32 Hybrid?. I saw in a different forum that Nissan had released new version with out gear box issues  ( MODE PREMIER ). This may be a silly question. Can somebody explain this? Thanks in advance.

That is not accurate....Mode Premier was not some magical model Nissan released with the gearbox fixed.

Mode Premier is/was a Limited edition trim level (trim level = like the G, X, X Limited, GL, DX, etc you get in cars..).Trim levels set the different levels of standard features and accessories and Mode Premier was one such trim level. There were many other trim levels as well...like the X-Tremer X version, etc...

So no..NIssan did not fix the gear box just for the Mode Premier because as far as I know the Mode Premier uses the same engine and gear box as all other X-Trails trim levels..  If Nissan did fix it...it would have been fixed for ALL trim levels for that period;; i.e. if the gearbox issue was fixed for the Mode Premier in year Y onwards...then all X Trails that have the same gear box, no matter what trim, would have gotten the fix from year Y onwards.  If the X trail of year S had the gear box issue...then even the Mode Premier of the same year would have the gear box issue.

• Like 1