• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mileage for a used car

Arc

Question

Hi everyone,

My dad is planning to buy a car for around Rs. 2.5 mil, upgrading the currently owned Chevrolet Cruze. Since with the current budget it's difficult afford to upgrade to another SUV model (also considering the fuel consumption, maintenance cost etc.), I went through the forum and was able to narrow down the list as follows.

• Nissan Tiida
  • Mitsubishi  GLX (CS1, CS2)
  • Vios
  • Axela
  • Axia

After reading a few articles, the Mitsubishi GLX seems to be a good option for the budget. However the previous car, the Chevrolet Cruze was previously owned by a sales rep who drove around the country and battered the car. Since we had no knowledge about buying a used vehicle at that time, we bought it for the amount of normally used car (by that time even the mileage showed a huge number but we didn't have the knowledge even to check it so our fault in a way as well.) and as a result, had to repair it continuously from the time it was bought.  I appreciate if you could, generally speaking, explain what the numbers of the mileage should read in 2003, 2007 and a 2015 registered car.

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Arc said:
  1. I appreciate if you could, generally speaking, explain what the numbers of the mileage should read in 2003, 2007 and a 2015 registered car.

Best thing would be for you to do a little leg work:

1.  Visit some used car sale and look at 2003, 2007, 2015 model year cars. Write down the mileage of each car you inspect and average the mileage for each model year and take that as your bench mark.
  2. Speak to the sales reps at each used car sale and ask them roughly what the average mileage should be. Compare that with your findings and further refine your expection of what the average mileage should be for each model year listed above
  • Doing this will (a) Educate you on the average mileage to expect for each car. (b) Educate you on the average condition and price of each car so when you do see a car that is in better condition than all the others you have seen; you will be able to make an educated offer on it. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Arc said:

@Kavvz thank you for the quick reply! And that you for the idea. I certainly shall try that.

And keep in mind that, car sales normally tampering the millage so, 75,000 on the clock means probably 150,000 actually.  

• Like 1