• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery white light

I got 45 ah battery in my car full charged and has GREEN colour on the too indicator. It was left at garage for cut and polish due to a new paint recently for 5 days. Once back, I checked the battery which gives 13v however, the status indicator shows WHITE colour. No hard staring issues. I used the car and it shows 13v volt but the WHITE COLOR STILL EXISTS?!!

As per the battery, GREEN is FULLY charged, WHITE is NEEDS CHARGING, RED is SERVICING.

Why WHITE COLOUR is showing up, at the same time 13 v reads on multimeter??

HOW TO GET BACK GREEN COLOR ? Do I have to purchase a new one?

55 minutes ago, Suzukui Liana 2006 1.6L au said:

I got 45 ah battery in my car full charged and has GREEN colour on the too indicator. It was left at garage for cut and polish due to a new paint recently for 5 days. Once back, I checked the battery which gives 13v however, the status indicator shows WHITE colour. No hard staring issues. I used the car and it shows 13v volt but the WHITE COLOR STILL EXISTS?!!

As per the battery, GREEN is FULLY charged, WHITE is NEEDS CHARGING, RED is SERVICING.

Why WHITE COLOUR is showing up, at the same time 13 v reads on multimeter??

No worries, I wouldn't panic unless it goes into the red or the car has trouble starting or you start seeing abnormally high /low voltages (a range between 12.5V and 14.5V is pretty normal).

Just drive the car for a few days till the car charges the battery up fully. (Based on what you say the battery is probably at around 80%  fully charged, which is normal.)

4 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

No worries, I wouldn't panic unless it goes into the red or the car has trouble starting or you start seeing abnormally high /low voltages (a range between 12.5V and 14.5V is pretty normal).

Just drive the car for a few days till the car charges the battery up fully. (Based on what you say the battery is probably at around 80%  fully charged, which is normal.)

Yes.. Agree with what @Kavvz has mentioned.

On a separate note here goes my personal experience with the inbuilt battery indicator..

During April curfew period my auxiliary battery died on me even after starting the car every two days and moving it around for a few minutes :(  At that time the battery was about 5 months off its warranty period. 

So decided to replace it with a new one and got the regional battery mobile to come to my place and switch batteries. I had an Exide battery on and replaced with the same brand this time as well. Then the guy swapping the old battery showed me the indicator that had turned white and the low voltage it had at the time of replacing. The new one showed up green colour in its indicator after the swap.

I continued with the starting and driving about routine (this time though drove a bit more within the lane) and after about a week or so upon checking the engine bay to see if there were any leaks or rat damages etc. I noticed that the battery indicator was now white and not green like it used to be when swapping. I called the battery guy and he asked me to just a give a tap on the indicator and see if it fixed the issue, but I didn't want to try it out. Luckily, enough he was in the neighborhood at the time I called replacing the batteries of another car and I asked him to come over and measure the voltages. He came and straight away tapped on the battery with a tool he had in his hand and wola the indicator turned back green:D He then went onto show me the voltage readings of the battery measured through the meter. It was all good.

1 hour ago, Suzukui Liana 2006 1.6L au said:

So you need not purchase a new one. You can tap on it and see as well whether it changes colour if the voltages are all good.

Bottom line, don't just go by this indicator. Measure the voltages!

• Like 2

It is worth noting that the built-in hydrometer only shows the status of one cell. So there's the possibility that the cell that the indicator is installed on is either better or worse than the rest.

There's also the possibility that electrolyte on the area of the indicator is of a different consistency than the rest of the battery. A gentle shake of the battery should cause the electrolyte to evenly distribute across all cells. This is the most likely cause in OP's case.

In any case as others have mentioned above, the voltage of the battery is a better measure than the built-in hydrometer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Yes.. Agree with what @Kavvz has mentioned.

On a separate note here goes my personal experience with the inbuilt battery indicator..

He came and straight away tapped on the battery with a tool he had in his hand and wola the indicator turned back green:D He then went onto show me the voltage readings of the battery measured through the meter. It was all good.

So you need not purchase a new one. You can tap on it and see as well whether it changes colour if the voltages are all good.

Bottom line, don't just go by this indicator. Measure the voltages!

I have a similar story. One week after the purchase, the index turned white. The battery guy removes the indicator, shakes and reattaches. The problem is solved. The battery brand is L#cas.

Take a coin and carefully remove the indicator as it contains sulfuric acid. Shake it or wash from the garden tap, fix and see.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to help me. Highly appreciating all of your kind gesture to help me. Went to Thibirigasyaya Exide battery center. They measure the voltage. It was fine and they said battery is absolutely fine.

In my case, problem was with the alternater belt. Had to replace it as it was not continuesly charging the battery due to worn-off. 

Now on alert about the repair. Will update on how it goes. Hope this would solve the problem. 

Again thank you very much guys !! ????

Edited by Suzukui Liana 2006 1.6L au
  • Like 1