• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

KYB klassic vs excel G

GayanR

Hi guys,So recently went to check on kyb shocks for my allion 260.I have had experiences with excel G from T**s previously which is not so good but livable.But now they have a variety called KYB klassic from japan which is specially designed for older cars like allion,121 as they mention.I asked a garage guy about them and he said they are close to oem shocks than the excel G in terms of comfort but with less handling capability than the excel G.I wonder If any of you guys have experience with this shock.?

18 minutes ago, GayanR said:

Hi guys,So recently went to check on kyb shocks for my allion 260.I have had experiences with excel G from T**s previously which is not so good but livable.But now they have a variety called KYB klassic from japan which is specially designed for older cars like allion,121 as they mention.I asked a garage guy about them and he said they are close to oem shocks than the excel G in terms of comfort but with less handling capability than the excel G.I wonder If any of you guys have experience with this shock.?

Yes I've heard the same reviews too about the Classics. My experience with KYB Excel-G is it's good for a sporty drive (stiff, good handling) but not so much for comfort like you pointed out. 

Go for classics, but what you have to be concerned about is whether you are buying the Japanese stuff or the Thailand version. Thai is obviously cheaper but won't offer the exact durability and comfort as the Japanese, it's still good enough though. 

34 minutes ago, GayanR said:

How much are they? Both front and rear?

2 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Yes I've heard the same reviews too about the Classics. My experience with KYB Excel-G is it's good for a sporty drive (stiff, good handling) but not so much for comfort like you pointed out. 

Go for classics, but what you have to be concerned about is whether you are buying the Japanese stuff or the Thailand version. Thai is obviously cheaper but won't offer the exact durability and comfort as the Japanese, it's still good enough though. 

Yes I'm looking forward to give it a go.It's a japan one though

23 minutes ago, GayanR said:

front 13000 per shock,I didn't ask the rear one price as i though of going excel G for the rear.I came across this pdf.Looks like it's a decent shock?

http://kybservice.su/ckfinder/userfiles/files/KYBJ_SHOCK_ABSORBERS_2018.pdf

It does look like a good one. I'm also looking to replace all 4 shocks but I'm bit biased for a softer ride.

13 minutes ago, iRage said:

Here is the Japanese market website.....It is not listed on the website for the Japanese market.

http://www.kybclub.com/

and here is a development note on the range:

https://www.kyb.co.jp/english/technical_report/data/no52e/07_product_introduction_01.pdf

Thanks.I read it.So it’s seems the classic is softer than the excel g?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BlueRaiden said:

I have classics in front and exel gs in rear, allion 260. Ride is not as soft as the oem. Better to go oem.

Yes i went with the classics.It’s no different than the excel g.Not so soft.Very bumpy

1 hour ago, Devinda_Z said:

@iRage isn't it ill advised to mix & match dampers between the front & rear is what i assume to have differing damping ratios/rates & possibly different mediums (is that even the right word??) - oil or gas?

Yes..ideally the same "type" of shocks are recommended for front and back..left and right....for normal road use.

You can mix and match (for example...like when you are doing some mods where the front might have coil overs and the rear will have to remain old school spring+damper). However, in these cases, you do need to do some math and make sure that the reactive/recoil rates, etc are the same. The thing is..with something like coilovers you can adjust them to match whatever is in the rear...and if one was to go with  lowering springs with short stroke shocks...you probably will lower all four corners.