• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Early Morning Ghost- Allion 240 (2004)

ViKARLL

Question

My car has the following problems early morning, in cold climates like Nuwara Eliya and in full-time rainy days.

1. Fuel meter reads empty.

2. Central lock and boot lock does not respond to the remote key.

3. Central lock button on the main door panel does not work either.

4. Head lights auto-on feature is not working.

All these come right when driven in hot weather about 10Km.

If the car is first started in noon or afternoon (meaning,  hot weather), no problem whatsoever.

Would be grateful if someone has any experience or thoughts on this.

Thank you !!

Vijitha 

11 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Try a different 12V battery and see if the issue persists

I would recommed this as well. It seems as your battery is faulty.

It maybe holding charge but a couple of weak cells are possibly throwing the voltage off (these issues are exacerbated by cold weather which is why the car is behaving normally in hotter climates).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ViKARLL said:

Hyaenidae, I shall definitely try that option before long. But, may I know why do you suggest so? I do have a strong feeling that you could be spot on!

What Kavzz said... besides, it's the easiest fix you could try yourself ne?  If you manage to borrow a battery from someone (say, a neighbor) it wouldn't even cost you a rupee to find out what's wrong 

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

Thanks Kavvz, for your explanation and Hyaenidae. All I needed was some reassurance.

By the way, whilst travelling outstation, my original YUASA battery suddenly failed one day and I was compelled to buy a battery from the closest battery shop in vicinity. I bought the cheapest battery they had and what my pocket could afford on the spot.

This was in 2012. That cheap battery of this unheard of brand continues for it's 8th year and only COVID19 caused it to be given an external charge after all this years. 

I know it's too good to be true; BTW, the brand name is EPIC.

Shall buy the well deserved new battery and revert if it solves the problem.

Thanks once again!!

Thanks vag2, you have a strong point,  but I doubt it coz the problem goes off for the rest of the day after the first run. Nevertheless, some collection of moisture evaporating from an exposed wiring connector etc. is a possibility.

I figured out a more cost effective troubleshooting step than buying a new battery head on. I.e, I am planning to give an external charge to the battery in an early morning and see the behaviour.  

Shall feedback ASAP.

13 hours ago, ViKARLL said:

I figured out a more cost effective troubleshooting step than buying a new battery head on. I.e, I am planning to give an external charge to the battery in an early morning and see the behaviour. ...

Well you can try.

Also note some service stations / gargages have external charges that have a 'battery repair' option that helps get rid of deposits and scaling that could be fouling cells, but here's the thing, the issue with your battery may not just be current draw and charge retention but also voltage fluctuations.

8 years for a cheap battery is pretty good. I've always had to replace my batteries around the 4-5 yr mark and that's despite buying fancy batteries claiming to last longer and perform better etc. So really the time maybe right to invest in a new battery.

No harm in trying to resuscitate the old one of course. Nothing like reusing and recycling...but just so you know you might have to think about getting a new battery to truely solve the issue.