• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1.0-1.2M cars

Thushara 90

Question

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Thushara 90 said:

Please let me know the best car within 1.0M-1.2M?  Good with fuel and easy to maintain because this is my 1st experince.

Were you got discouraged by the comment I made on Kia Spectra?

Anyway most of the cars that falls under your budget would have been manufactured around 90s or early 2000s. There is nothing wrong with those old cars. In fact I'm a big fan in 90s itself and driving a car made in 1999 and I believe its the best era of cars in terms of reliability and maintainability. The only downside is we don't know what kind of abuse they have taken all over these years from crappy owners and natural disasters like floods.

So, taking that aside, I would suggest you to forget about the fuel efficiency since none of the cars would be good enough for you since the average fuel efficiency in traffic would be around 10 kmpl. If you can lower your expectations further with regards to fuel efficiency there are lot of cars that might be fall into the budget. Are you OK with that fact?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thushara 90 said:

Please let me know the best car within 1.0M-1.2M?  Good with fuel and easy to maintain because this is my 1st experince.

For a starter - you'd better avoid nice cars and stick to something common. For that budget you're looking at a 3 decade old car so you'd better keep some money in hand for potential repairs. Also Fuel figures are not predictable for a car that old since there would have been so many repairs and the usage of questionable methods in repairing. For example if you take two 1992 B13 Sunny's with identical specifications one would return 8kmpl and the other 10kmpl on average. To avoid disappointment be mentally prepared to be ok with fuel figures anywhere between  7-10 KMPL on average . 

As for options  few suggestions off the top of my head would be - Lancer CB/CK series (Mid 90's) , Mazda Familia/323 (1995 ish), Nissan Sunny B13 (Doctor Sunny) early 90's or maybe even an pre-facelift B14 ~1995 YOM .

One other choice is a Daihatsu Mira YOM around 1998 - Perodua Sold the same car as the Kelisa till 2006 and those are generally good little cars. 

A left-field choice would be a Proton Waja where you can get a 2000ish car for that budget - they do share engine parts with Mitsubishi Lancers. But given the fact that this is your first car maybe not the best option.

6 hours ago, Amila_Silva said:

In fact I'm a big fan in 90s itself and driving a car made in 1999 and I believe its the best era of cars in terms of reliability and maintainability. The only downside is we don't know what kind of abuse they have taken all over these years from crappy owners and natural disasters like floods.

Yeah - there's something about the 90's cars in terms of design and reliability and the simple mechanics. As you mentioned at this point in time if you're buying one you would have to consider all the stuff that it's been through and would be a good idea not to stretch the budget. 

• Like 1

As Maruti is suggested by Devinda_Z.

I can add experience about Maruti Car. I bought a Maruti 800 to a staff member of mine, 1990 new registered very badly maintained car. Body was in very good shape. No accidents at all, when we bought the car engine was OK after about 1 1/2 years engine started burning oil. Radiator was changed complete brake system was replaced, new paint was done, new set of seat covers hood cloth, Clutch plate with pressure plate changed, Wiring was OK few things were attended. Used alloy wheels were changed with new Tires. Complete set of ball joints changed. New Windshield glass changed.New 4 Shocks were changed All above cost was Rs. 200,000. Without labour charges as we did in my work shop during free time. Bought at a cost of Rs. 450000/00. Car on the road with full insurance cost us Rs.650,000/00. Did about 15000 Kilometers after all that, did not do a engine repair managed to get Rs.600,000/00. Later he went in for a new Indian Tata car.

Maruti parts are cheap available in most parts of the country. Did not give any other problem. Not very comfortable for long trips.

India will stop making parts for Maruti car in future, because they do noted manufacture this 800 any more.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 1:32 AM, Amila_Silva said:

Were you got discouraged by the comment I made on Kia Spectra?

Anyway most of the cars that falls under your budget would have been manufactured around 90s or early 2000s. There is nothing wrong with those old cars. In fact I'm a big fan in 90s itself and driving a car made in 1999 and I believe its the best era of cars in terms of reliability and maintainability. The only downside is we don't know what kind of abuse they have taken all over these years from crappy owners and natural disasters like floods.

So, taking that aside, I would suggest you to forget about the fuel efficiency since none of the cars would be good enough for you since the average fuel efficiency in traffic would be around 10 kmpl. If you can lower your expectations further with regards to fuel efficiency there are lot of cars that might be fall into the budget. Are you OK with that fact?

Thank you very much for your comments. Just can you mention few examples for my budget.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:50 PM, Sylvi said:

As Maruti is suggested by Devinda_Z.

I can add experience about Maruti Car. I bought a Maruti 800 to a staff member of mine, 1990 new registered very badly maintained car. Body was in very good shape. No accidents at all, when we bought the car engine was OK after about 1 1/2 years engine started burning oil. Radiator was changed complete brake system was replaced, new paint was done, new set of seat covers hood cloth, Clutch plate with pressure plate changed, Wiring was OK few things were attended. Used alloy wheels were changed with new Tires. Complete set of ball joints changed. New Windshield glass changed.New 4 Shocks were changed All above cost was Rs. 200,000. Without labour charges as we did in my work shop during free time. Bought at a cost of Rs. 450000/00. Car on the road with full insurance cost us Rs.650,000/00. Did about 15000 Kilometers after all that, did not do a engine repair managed to get Rs.600,000/00. Later he went in for a new Indian Tata car.

Maruti parts are cheap available in most parts of the country. Did not give any other problem. Not very comfortable for long trips.

India will stop making parts for Maruti car in future, because they do noted manufacture this 800 any more.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Did not give any other problems? Looks like you had enough problems with the Maruti, especially when it was used only for 15,000km after spending Rs. 200,000.

@Thushara 90 if I had that budget, I will go for a Proton Wira without thinking twice. Leaving the Malaysian nameplate aside, they are solidly built cars with mostly Mitsubishi parts. Only trouble is the interior which is not that great but u can always look for one which has well maintained interior in it. 

Crosswind,

After attending to all other necessary repairs of the said car, because the engine was OK, Did not do any thing to the engine, later the engine developed burning oil rapidly with heavy smoke. Do not know the previous owner had used some chemical in order to sell the car to prevent the oil burning. I was surprised to notice that problem rose up meter was reading after the costly repair, 14600 Kilometers of short distance running. Only with few long distance runs. We decided to sell the car because my young staff members, this car was his very first one. He got used how to maintain a car. later his father also gave him financial help they decided to go for a new car with about 25% financing. At present he has done 20000 Kilometers without any problems. Once he dropped the car Key in water, that day manage without a problem, next morning he was unable to stat with that Key had to get other spare key from Finance company and start the car. Only with service at every 5000 Kilometer intervals. It is a Indian car for that cost under Rupees 2 Million 4 years ago, I think it is a good decision.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.