• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My dream 3rd vehicle

Sanjaya_nu

I just want to buy a good budget vehicle within 1.5Mn to 2.0Mn range with a good fuel economy. My previous car was Suzuki Wagon R FZ 2014 and it was imported personally (total cost 3.2Mn in 2016 end). But really disappointed about its performance,fuel economy, 2nd hand market etc...So looking forward to buy budget economy vehicle. I preferred to buy Viva elite manual registered car. Please clarify on my option and advise. What manufacture year can be suggested?  Your suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Sanjaya_nu said:

I just want to buy a good budget vehicle within 1.5Mn to 2.0Mn range with a good fuel economy. My previous car was Suzuki Wagon R FZ 2014 and it was imported personally (total cost 3.2Mn in 2016 end). But really disappointed about its performance,fuel economy, 2nd hand market etc...So looking forward to buy budget economy vehicle. I preferred to buy Viva elite manual registered car. Please clarify on my option and advise. What manufacture year can be suggested?  Your suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks 

If the wagonR fuel economy disappoints you, then the viva's economy will make you cry.  

Edited by AVANTE
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sanjaya_nu said:

Performace - Viva Elite will be a bit better than the Wagon R IMO. 

Fuel Economy - being a manual the Elite will do better than the auto variants of viva elite  but you won't get anywhere near the figures the Wagon R provided.

2nd Hand Market- I don't really know about the Wagon R's second hand market - but the viva elite has held it's market pretty well for a car that is almost 10 years old now. A manual might have a little less demand though. 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, matroska said:

2nd Hand Market- I don't really know about the Wagon R's second hand market

Depreciating as far as I know. 2014,15 models are going somewhere between 2.4-2.5mil and 2017,18= 2.7-2.9 mil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Depreciating as far as I know. 2014,15 models are going somewhere between 2.4-2.5mil and 2017,18= 2.7-2.9 mil

2014 models go for that price but are worth way less than that. Not to mention, alot of abused/sketchy history cars will coming up by the hundreds. 

• Like 3

Car sellers and car owners will tell you all kind of stories but here are some truths. 

1.any car in Sri Lanka does about 9-10km/litre. Whether it's Axio, Allion, Wagon R, Alto, Bulto whatnot. Hybrids will give around 12-13kmpl. That's all. If you hear premios doing 13, 14 or 15, that's a lie! 

2.ALL cars depreciate from unreg to the next 3 to 4 years. That includes axios, premios and wagon r's. All of them. Thereafter, there might be a slow depreciation or appreciation depending on government's tax policy changes. Some cars that were bought for 1 - 1.2 million in 2005 can now be sold for 2 million BUT that doesn't take currency depreciation in to account. 

Unless you understand these two truths, you will always be disappointed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, AVANTE said:

2014 models go for that price but are worth way less than that. Not to mention, alot of abused/sketchy history cars will coming up by the hundreds. 

Think of all the wagon-r's that were used as taxis and rented out ones that were used to haul gravel (you saw the video on Facebook ?) those are probably getting re-sold as well. Anyways cars depreciate - this is a norm this was not the case in the past simply because of the prevailing tax structures then and there were no 'new' options. In the 2010's the hybrid wave made sure the 1.5 L ICE cars depreciated...then the hybrids themselves lost value pretty quickly since never hybrids were available for a tad above the same amount - remember Sri Lankan's love the new number. When the next tax revision came the kei's came to the party but at the same time the hybrids actually had a mild spike in re-sale value only to go down when the batteries failed and DCT issues came up. Then with the emergence of Turbo charged 1 Liter cars/Suv's people got on the band-wagon and naturally even the best car to be ever made in the history of all parallel universes combined  (Premio 260- rumored to have been designed by god himself) depreciated somewhat (the faithful of the Premio-Allion club will say otherwise) but yeah that's the new norm so it's something we should accept and move on. Cars are no longer an investment on wheels.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, matroska said:

Think of all the wagon-r's that were used as taxis and rented out ones that were used to haul gravel (you saw the video on Facebook ?) those are probably getting re-sold as well. 

Wonder if that wagonR of the taxi guy who poured engine oil into the gearbox) or vice versa) come up for sale ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, AVANTE said:

If the wagonR fuel economy disappoints you, then the viva's economy will make you cry.  

As you aware about the wagon R 2014 FZ, I agreed with you. I used it to travel within Kandy area. There were few outstation trips , but mostly I have run with it in a hilly side. My opinion had chosen to another vehicle as per my requirement. So I'm looking forward to buy registered budget vehicle within 1.5Mn to 2.0Mn, but it has to be good power(Min 1000cc) and durable as well as 2010 above manufacture year. Any suggestion from you?    

18 hours ago, matroska said:

Performace - Viva Elite will be a bit better than the Wagon R IMO. 

Fuel Economy - being a manual the Elite will do better than the auto variants of viva elite  but you won't get anywhere near the figures the Wagon R provided.

2nd Hand Market- I don't really know about the Wagon R's second hand market - but the viva elite has held it's market pretty well for a car that is almost 10 years old now. A manual might have a little less demand though. 

Thanks for your opinion. 2nd hand market of the Wagon R Fz is going negative at the moment. For instance, I have imported my 2014 FZ with cost of 3.2Mn in Sep 2016, then it has sell with 2.45Mn March 2020. You see the difference. So, could you justify my 3rd vehicle requirement with Viva elite? Is it worth? If not could you suggest which vehicle would have matched according to my point of view?  

Thanks for your opinion. 2nd hand market of the Wagon R Fz is going negative at the moment. For instance, I have imported my 2014 FZ with cost of 3.2Mn in Sep 2016, then it has sell with 2.45Mn March 2020. You see the difference. So, could you justify my 3rd vehicle requirement with Viva elite? Is it worth? If not could you suggest which vehicle would have matched according to my point of view?  
Yeah Viva Elite is a good car. You will not have the fuel economy of Wagon R but overall its a solid car.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sanjaya_nu said:

As you aware about the wagon R 2014 FZ, I agreed with you. I used it to travel within Kandy area. There were few outstation trips , but mostly I have run with it in a hilly side. My opinion had chosen to another vehicle as per my requirement. So I'm looking forward to buy registered budget vehicle within 1.5Mn to 2.0Mn, but it has to be good power(Min 1000cc) and durable as well as 2010 above manufacture year. Any suggestion from you?    

Perodua Kelisa would be a good try. 1000cc engine but fun to drive and economical enough. 

@fiat fan had one, he can tell you more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sanjaya_nu said:

Well we have a Kia Picanto, a similar car to Viva elite and we mainly drive it in Kandy. It gives around 10km/l in Kandy and if you go Kandy-Colombo-Kandy, the average is around 13 km/l. I think the fuel economy of Viva also same or very slightly higher than Picanto due to the weight difference. 1000 CC engine is sufficient for the Kandy hills with 4 adults. When you need to overtake sometimes you need to stand on the accelerator so this might be same as Viva. Hope this will give you an idea how a small 1000cc car with 4 speed auto gear box performs in Kandy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tbird said:

Well we have a Kia Picanto, a similar car to Viva elite and we mainly drive it in Kandy. It gives around 10km/l in Kandy and if you go Kandy-Colombo-Kandy, the average is around 13 km/l. I think the fuel economy of Viva also same or very slightly higher than Picanto due to the weight difference. 1000 CC engine is sufficient for the Kandy hills with 4 adults. When you need to overtake sometimes you need to stand on the accelerator so this might be same as Viva. Hope this will give you an idea how a small 1000cc car with 4 speed auto gear box performs in Kandy

Well but I'm seeking to buy low budget vehicle 1.5-2.0Mn also not a indian one. As I know, Kia Picanto price is bit higher than elite. Anyway could you give any other your opinion on this? What else would be matched to me in a given price range? Can anybody suggest? 

2 minutes ago, Sanjaya_nu said:

Well but I'm seeking to buy low budget vehicle 1.5-2.0Mn also not a indian one. As I know, Kia Picanto price is bit higher than elite. Anyway could you give any other your opinion on this? What else would be matched to me in a given price range? Can anybody suggest? 

1.5-2.0 M range you will be able to get a Viva elite and the performance of the Viva in Kandy will be similar to Picanto I mentioned above or little bit higher than Picanto. According to the reviews Viva will be a good car.

I mentioned above because you said you were disappointed with the fuel economy of the Wagon R,  So non-hybrid 1000cc cars will give give max10-11 km/l fuel economy in Kandy hills and the in the usual traffic. One of my friend has a 2018 Toyta Vitz and it also gives 10-11 km/l economy in Kandy.

I thought wagon R gives a good fuel economy since it is mild hybrid

1 hour ago, AVANTE said:

Perodua Kelisa would be a good try. 1000cc engine but fun to drive and economical enough. 

We had a kelisa - nice car.The auto did 10 KMPL flat - nothing more nothing less.. simple to maintain car. Interiors are a bit rattly now since they also are about 14-15 years old. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Wonder if that wagonR of the taxi guy who poured engine oil into the gearbox) or vice versa) come up for sale ?

damn i'd almost forgotten that hahaha - it was brake fluid and engine oil :D ....black Wagon R i should have written down the number 

On 6/24/2020 at 3:20 PM, matroska said:

We had a kelisa - nice car.The auto did 10 KMPL flat - nothing more nothing less.. simple to maintain car. Interiors are a bit rattly now since they also are about 14-15 years old. 

Thanks matroskaI'm looking forward to buy bit recent manufactured car. As I know kelisa is manufactured around 2008 or less. Also Viva elite do more than 10km/l in citi limit. Is it correct? I'm seeking to buy manual viva above 2011 at least. The thing is that available manual cars are very few. So how can I find manual one? How you suggest?  

Members,

Most car owners and Sales owners, to get a better price for their Vehicles inform that the car buyers does more than 10KM/L. First of all the buyer should question that is with A/C on in Colombo or any other town running. They cannot prove that.

I have used cars of all CC capacities during last 65 years what ever I can remember. During early 1950 era of vehicles most popular car which did more miles for a gallon was Morris Minor, Fiat 500, 600. and Austin A30/35. No other car gave good performance for their engine capacity. Most other cars were 1300 CC without AC and up to 1800 CC. All had carburetors as well as Heater system.

Carburetor Engines did not give good mileage. Later EFI came some buyers did not like them as well as all motor mechanics. During early 1950  Automobile Mechanics did repairs after working in work shop, as a helper. (Golaya) Under a Bass who had worked under a another experienced Bass. There were few training centers like Ceylon Technical College at the end of Pettah in Colombo.

Later years we got BTTI Ratmalana German training center and all other training centers for Motor Mechanics followed during after 1950 end. My late father also joined from Wesley College after attending to 5th standered to M/S Walker Sons Motor work shop where originally situated on the Gafoor Building Fort opposite Harbor. At the age of 15+, in 1912. Later when the 1st World War started they were absorbed to Royal Army. Sent them to Basra Present Iraq.

Present Cargils pioneer food city out let at Staples Road was the BSA Motor Cycle service center till end of British Motor Cycle imports.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi
Few spling mistakes.
  • Like 1

Mr @Sylvi..not just for selling cars...most car owners (especially of the popular models like the Premio/Allion/Axio/Vitz) make up and boast about fake fuel figures just so they can feel good about the investment they blindly made just because everyone else was doing it). They have to keep up the figures and keep talking about it because anything other than these wonderful fuel efficiency figures means the vehicle's value will drop and they lose money.

Fuel efficiency figures are the nations second biggest lie; they only come second to political promises. 

Edited by iRage
  • Haha 1

Honorable iRage,Your post is perfectly correct.

I use two vehicles at present, When every time I fill up the tanks of both vehicles write back of the cash receipt what the petrol station give, write the meter reading and the number of Liters pumped into the Vehicle. later enter the figures on the running record book. My Suzuki Every mini van I have never got more than 10.5 Km/ lit. In Colombo running with Ac on. Present meter reading is 13000 + Kilometers. I also use a Bajaj three wheeler, I never got more than 25 Km/Lit. Present Meter reading 1200 Kilometers bought in February this year. That is also for Colombo running. Both are bought new. Van had 17 Kilometers. Bought new in Japan, registered thereafter canceled registration in Japan for export requirement of the vehicle. Three wheeler had 6 kilometers Bought from D/P local agent. When I possess said two Vehicles.

No point in exaggeration figures few rupees gain which will take us nowhere. Later one day all of us will realize the lie we had said for few rupee gain.

Today most Vehicle sales owners had become billionaires by informing lies for rupees gain. After open economy era. Which our late honorable Precedent J R Jayawardana created in year 1977.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 2