• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Use long milage engine oil

thusharak340

Hi,

I am using Toyota 1000CC small car,   mileage around 35K Kms,  normally I use Toyota 10W 30 engine oil and do service every 5K kms, however the service mileage  reach around 2 months and I planned to use Lauf engine oil than can run upto 10K kms,

I much appreciate your thoughts that is there any impact for the oil change at this stage as well as the concern about long run engine oil used.

Rgds

If you are driving mostly on the expressway or outstation on not very dusty conditions and not crawling a lot in city traffic, you will be able stretch the oil change intervals to 10k km using the same Toyota oil without any issue. The user manual and the sticker under the hood recommends 15k km oil changes anyway although for different conditions. If you are paranoid about changing the brand of oil, better go for a reputed brand of oil such as Mobil, Castrol etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thusharak340 said:

I am using Toyota 1000CC small car,   mileage around 35K Kms,  normally I use Toyota 10W 30 engine oil and do service every 5K kms, however the service mileage  reach around 2 months and I planned to use Lauf engine oil than can run upto 10K kms,

I much appreciate your thoughts that is there any impact for the oil change at this stage as well as the concern about long run engine oil used.

What purpose you are using the car?

2 hours ago, CNX said:

If you are driving mostly on the expressway or outstation on not very dusty conditions and not crawling a lot in city traffic, you will be able stretch the oil change intervals to 10k km using the same Toyota oil without any issue. The user manual and the sticker under the hood recommends 15k km oil changes anyway although for different conditions. If you are paranoid about changing the brand of oil, better go for a reputed brand of oil such as Mobil, Castrol etc. 

Thanks for the information,

I am traveling Colombo -Kandy new road ( via Kaduwela) , I think the roads are so dusty,  anyway I will think of branded oil when do next service

9 minutes ago, thusharak340 said:

I am using it for office travailing

3 minutes ago, thusharak340 said:

I am traveling Colombo -Kandy new road ( via Kaduwela) , I think the roads are so dusty,  anyway I will think of branded oil when do next service

It's a paved road. Isn't it? So, forget about the dust. Dusty condition means unpaved roads and paved roads through deserts, etc. 

Since you are a daily runner, based on your usage pattern,

1. Go ahead with Toyota 10W30 (mineral oil) which is 5,000 mile (8,000 km) replacement interval. So you should replace around 3.5 months

2. Or select a synthetic oil with 10,000+ km replacement interval so you have to replace around 4 months. 

3. If your car is new, then probably the recommended oil could be 0W20. Then you could use Toyota 0W20 Synthetic oil and replace at 10,000 km (4 months)  

15 minutes ago, gayanath said:

It's a paved road. Isn't it? So, forget about the dust. Dusty condition means unpaved roads and paved roads through deserts, etc. 

Since you are a daily runner, based on your usage pattern,

1. Go ahead with Toyota 10W30 (mineral oil) which is 5,000 mile (8,000 km) replacement interval. So you should replace around 3.5 months

2. Or select a synthetic oil with 10,000+ km replacement interval so you have to replace around 4 months. 

3. If your car is new, then probably the recommended oil could be 0W20. Then you could use Toyota 0W20 Synthetic oil and replace at 10,000 km (4 months)  

Hi,

I bought reconditioned car and mileage was 18K at that time, it is a warranty period and Laugh Car care is the nominated service argent, they decided the oil type at the first service and continue so on, if I go with option 1, I think agent won't agree with warranty as they compel to do next service after 5k, now my reading is about 35K and is it OK to change oil type at this stage ( option 3 ) , they recommend to use their oil (Laugh oil)

9 hours ago, thusharak340 said:

Hi,

Rgds

5 hours ago, thusharak340 said:

Hi,

I bought reconditioned car and mileage was 18K at that time, it is a warranty period and Laugh Car care is the nominated service argent, they decided the oil type at the first service and continue so on, if I go with option 1, I think agent won't agree with warranty as they compel to do next service after 5k, now my reading is about 35K and is it OK to change oil type at this stage ( option 3 ) , they recommend to use their oil (Laugh oil)

Hi @thusharak340,

1. As long as you used the recommended oil grade (in your case, based on your input= SAE 30 oil) the warranty should still be valid. (Manufacturers cannot tie you to a brand name, only a specific grade of oil so any oil that is SAE30  will not invalidate your warranty.)

2. I've never personally used Laugfs oil so I can't comment either way, but my commute is similar to yours and I like using fully synthetic oil as I believe it gives my car better all-around protection especially with early morning starts, and quick bursts of speed to navigate traffic etc. Plus the flexibility of having a long oil service interval is very convenient ( I don't usually wait for the 10k mark, I like to time my service intervals arounds the 8k-9k mark, but there have been times when, I've gotten busy and not changed the oil till 11-13k, not recommended but all good, as most synthetic oils can handle it. Plus when you think about it that's almost the duration of three regular oil changes so the extra cost of synthetic is justified just on the time saved alone- plus my car is better protected). So you switching to a fully synthetic oil is a decision I would second. 

3. The Laufs SAE30 or SUPREME PETRA SAE 10W-30 oil  listed on their website is NOT synthetic and if they are proposing to use this oil then fine, but please note the service interval will probably have to be around 5000km or 6 months whatever comes first and not longer like a fully synthetic oil

4. On the Laufs website among the products listed only SUPREME PETRA SAE 0W-20 and SUPREME GOLD SAE 5W-40 are fully synthetic but those oils are not compatible with your car and using either of them will invalidate your warranty from Toyota / the Toyota agent if they find out.

4. Synthetic oil change intervals are usually 10,000km or 1 year whichever comes first. Some car manufacturers have longer intervals (like 15,000 or 20,000km / 1 yr ) but most owners stick to a 10k / 1 yr schedule and that's what I would recommend too. 

5. Using 0W20 Synthetic oil as suggested above is something I would not recommend. Use a SAE 30 mineral oil, a SAE 30 mineral oil / synthetic oil blend (considered mineral oil) or a SAE 30 fully synthetic oil as recommended by the manufacturer instead and stick to the appropiate service intervals for each.

Edited by Kavvz

9 hours ago, thusharak340 said:

Hi,

Rgds

Oh my god. What on earth made you think to switch from Toyota oil to Laughs? Do you even know how the Laugh oil is made? What sort of chemical engineers are working for Laughs or the quality control of those things? Just because Laughs is the service dealer do you think the oil they made is better than Mobil or Castrol? On top of that you are trying to extend the interval from 5k to 10K?

Do your car a favor and keep using the Toyota oil and if I were you, I would change it every 2500 to 3500 Km intervals.

There is no such thing as a particular oil can last up to 5K or 10K km intervals. It all depends on how long you run the engine. A person can drive a car from Galle to Colombo in highway for 120 kms daily within 1.5 hours where another one can drive from Panadura to Colombo (30 kms) within the same time in Galle road in heavy traffic. Which car would you think hit the 5000 km interval first? And if you are this second person and wait till it reaches 5000 kms, then its like the first person drove his car for 20000 kms to change the oil.

The engine oil change interval based on the mileage is utterly incorrect. Actually you should consider the time the engine was running.

31 minutes ago, Amila_Silva said:

There is no such thing as a particular oil can last up to 5K or 10K km intervals. It all depends on how long you run the engine. 

You are partially correct @Amila_Silva :Oil life does depend on how long you have run the engine as well as a host of other factors. 

However, fully synthetic oils have much longer oil change internals as they are capable of holding their viscosity and lubricating characteristics better than mineral based oils. 

Therefore as in my post above a fully-synthetic oil can be used for a longer service interval (usually around 10,000km or 1 year ) before they start to break down and lose their lubricating properties. 

55 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

You are partially correct @Amila_Silva :Oil life does depend on how long you have run the engine as well as a host of other factors. 

However, fully synthetic oils have much longer oil change internals as they are capable of holding their viscosity and lubricating characteristics better than mineral based oils. 

Therefore as in my post above a fully-synthetic oil can be used for a longer service interval (usually around 10,000km or 1 year ) before they start to break down and lose their lubricating properties. 

No it is 100% correct. No offense please. It is true that Synthetic holds its viscosity more than the mineral counterparts but I don't agree with suggesting a number like 10 000 km intervals.

Because if you are the person who travel 30kms for 1.5 hours and if you wait till 10 000 kms to change the synthetic oil that is in your engine, its like the person who drives 120 kms in the highway for 1.5 hours waited 40 000 kms to change the oil which is way beyond the mileage mentioned by you  (10K).

The mileage mentioned in oil can is an average one (more towards highway driving in Europe / USA countries) and trust me they have no idea regarding all the drama that we go through in the traffic of Sri Lankan roads. If they knew they would suggest 2500 km intervals in Mobil Synthetic cans :). Unlike the heavy machinery vehicles, the cars we drive (not the high tech ones) does not have the engine running time indicator. Instead we have a trip meter and an odometer. So, people used the odometer value to have a sense of the engine wear and tear (in addition to the mileage) since the past but it is not how it should have been.

So its a matter of how you drive and of course there are other factors like the ambient temperature and the driving condition which affect the quality of the oil. I myself had this crazy idea long time ago on switching to synthetic and so on but later decided to keep the same oil and change it frequently. Few months ago I changed the oil pan gasket (due to minor oil leak) and got my self ready with Duco high gloss thinner and so on to clean any sludge in the sump and the oil strainer would have. But there was nothing in them. The strainer was crystal clean. No sludge, no deposits, none. Just like brand new engine after 200K kms (could be equivalent to more than 400 K millage of a car drove in Europe considering its running time) and 21 years of its life. By the way I am using Mobil 15w 40 and change it every to 2500 to 3500 km intervals by myself and no problems whats so ever with the engine so far. I haven't done any repairs to the engine apart from timing belt, water pump, ...etc service maintenance. So money was spent only for the oil. So please note that I'm not promoting any oil or talking shit I hear from anybody. Just shared what I know from my experience.

Edited by Amila_Silva
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Amila_Silva said:

No it is 100% correct. No offense please.

No worries: I hardly take offence at anything. I welcome discussions as long as its logical. But so far your logic isn't holding up. So far you claim to:

1. Know better than oil companies

2. Claim that there is no benefit between using synthetic oil and mineral oil.

Neither claims are very confidence inspiring. However if you are prepared to lay out your claim in a logical fashion I will be prepared to hear it.

But to counter:

1. Its pretty much accepted that oil companies do alot of research into conditions all around the world when developing their oils. Also the tests to certify these oils for different standards are harsher than conditions we in SL would ever face. (Fact check)

2. Its a very commonly known fact that Synthetic Oils have a longer oil change interval. Saying that they are the same as Mineral based oils  and that one should stick to the same oil change interval doesn't make any sense. 

The mileage mentioned in oil can is an average one (more towards highway driving in Europe / USA countries) and trust me they have no idea regarding all the drama that we go through in the traffic of Sri Lankan roads. If they knew they would suggest 2500 km intervals in Mobil Synthetic cans :).

Driving conditions in SL are different to the US and Europe, but most oil companies have taken that into consideration, plus conditions in Sri Lanka when compared globally are not too bad. (Conditions in Europe and the US are far worse than SL sometimes. For example winter conditions cause more wear and tear on an engine than any conditions in SL that I know of, and traffic conditions in LA and London are, I believe, worse than what we have in Colombo)

Unlike the heavy machinery vehicles, the cars we drive (not the high tech ones) does not have the engine running time indicator. Instead we have a trip meter and an odometer. So, people used the odometer value to have a sense of the engine wear and tear (in addition to the mileage) since the past but it is not how it should have been.

True for accurate measurement an engine run time calculator would be better, but as cars are usually not mostly stationary unlike some heavy machinery, changing oil by the mileage run has become the standard so we must unfortunately work with the tools we have been given with.

Some cars do calculate the engine oil lifespan based on runtime, load, average start-stop spans etc and when those are factored in usually the oil interval ends up being even longer that the general rule of thumb we use. Read here: Fact check.

Also as odometers already measure the mileage travelled: I don't see the need for further mileage calculations as you have mentioned above? 

So its a matter of how you drive and of course there are other factors like the ambient temperature and the driving condition which affect the quality of the oil.

True.

myself had this crazy idea long time ago on switching to synthetic and so on but later decided to keep the same oil and change it frequently. Few months ago I changed the oil pan gasket (due to minor oil leak) and got my self ready with Duco high gloss thinner and so on to clean any sludge in the sump and the oil strainer would have. But there was nothing in them. The strainer was crystal clean. No sludge, no deposits, none. Just like brand new engine after 200K kms (could be equivalent to more than 400 K millage of a car drove in Europe considering its running time) and 21 years of its life. By the way I am using Mobil 15w 40 and change it every to 2500 to 3500 km intervals by myself and no problems whats so ever with the engine so far. I haven't done any repairs to the engine apart from timing belt, water pump, ...etc service maintenance. So money was spent only for the oil. So please note that I'm not promoting any oil or talking shit I hear from anybody. Just shared what I know from my experience.

I'm glad your oil pan was clean and that you had no signs of sludge. That's pretty amazing. And certainly something to be happy about.

But using expensive oil (Mobil being a premium brand) and changing it after 2500km or 3500km is a bit unaffordable for most people. Also  even if it was affordable (it's not) the amount of time it would take to go and do an oil change every 2-3 months would make that impractical for most people. 

I mean its great that your oil change intervals are proving effective for you...I'm happy for you. But for most people that would be unaffordable and impractical.  Furthermore it would be extremely taxing on the environment if we were all disposing of oil that hasn't been utilized fully. (Fact check) Having said that, I'm not endorsing stretching out oil changes, I am saying we should generally stick with the general guidelines...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Amila_Silva said:

Unlike the heavy machinery vehicles, the cars we drive (not the high tech ones) does not have the engine running time indicator. Instead we have a trip meter and an odometer. So, people used the odometer value to have a sense of the engine wear and tear (in addition to the mileage) since the past but it is not how it should have been.

In a car without an oil life indicator, how do you use the odometer to have a sense of engine wear and tear (other recording the mileage it convered?) Genuinely confused by this...? 

Edited by Kavvz

7 hours ago, Amila_Silva said:

So its a matter of how you drive and of course there are other factors like the ambient temperature and the driving condition which affect the quality of the oil. I myself had this crazy idea long time ago on switching to synthetic and so on but later decided to keep the same oil and change it frequently. Few months ago I changed the oil pan gasket (due to minor oil leak) and got my self ready with Duco high gloss thinner and so on to clean any sludge in the sump and the oil strainer would have. But there was nothing in them. The strainer was crystal clean. No sludge, no deposits, none. Just like brand new engine after 200K kms (could be equivalent to more than 400 K millage of a car drove in Europe considering its running time) and 21 years of its life. By the way I am using Mobil 15w 40 and change it every to 2500 to 3500 km intervals by myself and no problems whats so ever with the engine so far. I haven't done any repairs to the engine apart from timing belt, water pump, ...etc service maintenance. So money was spent only for the oil. So please note that I'm not promoting any oil or talking shit I hear from anybody. Just shared what I know from my experience.

Why don't you change engine oil at every 1,000 km (one thousand) for further more engine protection ?? 

9 hours ago, Amila_Silva said:

Do your car a favor and keep using the Toyota oil and if I were you, I would change it every 2500 to 3500 Km intervals.

There is no such thing as a particular oil can last up to 5K or 10K km intervals. It all depends on how long you run the engine. A person can drive a car from Galle to Colombo in highway for 120 kms daily within 1.5 hours where another one can drive from Panadura to Colombo (30 kms) within the same time in Galle road in heavy traffic. Which car would you think hit the 5000 km interval first? And if you are this second person and wait till it reaches 5000 kms, then its like the first person drove his car for 20000 kms to change the oil.

The engine oil change interval based on the mileage is utterly incorrect. Actually you should consider the time the engine was running.

So the car manufactures who recommends 5,000 mile (8,000 km) or 5,000 km intervals (subjected to duration which ever comes first) for severe conditions doing bull shit ?

Lets forget Japanese or European. What about Indian (worst traffic than SL) manufactures? Don't they know their road conditions? Are they recommending with USA or European mindset?

Note: Your argument is not incorrect. But you have to learn 1. Safety factor, 2. Economics (overall cost to the user), 3. Environment concerns, 4. User friendliness , etc.

10 hours ago, Kavvz said:

5. Using 0W20 Synthetic oil as suggested above is something I would not recommend. Use a SAE 30 mineral oil, a SAE 30 mineral oil / synthetic oil blend (considered mineral oil) or a SAE 30 fully synthetic oil as recommended by the manufacturer instead and stick to the appropiate service intervals for each.

If manufacture recommended best suitable oil is 0W20, then why you would not recommends? 

21 minutes ago, gayanath said:

If manufacture recommended best suitable oil is 0W20, then why you would not recommends? 

I recommended he stick with the recommended SAE grade that the manufacturer recommends which I thought he said was SAE 30 (Toyota 10W30 oil was what he said he usually used).

If the manufacturer recommends 0W20 for this car then that's what he should use ( my apologies then @gayanath  and in that case as you suggested he can switch to Toyoya 0W20 or the Laufs SUPREME PETRA SAE 0W-20 or any other fully Synthetic oil that would be compatible and change the oil at around 10,000km / 1 yr etc.)

@thusharak340 please read above and if that is the case  then  020W fully synthetic oil is the right product for your car. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I had read all the conversations and got confused what oil that I would use for next service,  can you let me know what my understanding is correct

• Currently I am using Toyota 10W30  which is mineral base oil what I came to know and the mileage what I can go around 5K kms
  • If I need to extend oil change period I need to shift to synthetic oil from the mineral base oil
  • noted Laugh oil is not recommend and I will not use them
  • the synthetic oil that you can propose is 0w20 and I can continue with Toyota brand with 10K kms
  • odometer ready as 35K kms and there won't be any impact for the engine if I change the engine oil from 10W30 to 0W20 at this stage

Appreciate your guideline with this regard

Rgds

Holy crap. I was a member in Auto Lanka for so long I could remember and now got some free time to respond to some threads. I didn't expect this.

@Kavvz I never said I Know better than oil companies or never said there are no benefits of using synthetic oil against mineral. Did I?

In fact I always wanted to change into Synthetic (even now) to keep the engine clean but it scares me to do so (due to the claims of some people saying they got oil leaks afterwards in heavily used engines)

I only said the argument I made was 100% true which is changing the oil by the odometer interval (distance traveled) is incorrect. There is no reason for you to say it was partially correct right?

And to be honest all arguments that you have made are true as well. Whats the big deal about it. The purpose of this forum is to help individuals. Not to quote every sentence a person write and raise arguments. I see that you have written a constructive feedback regarding the Oil types and its really good.

@gayanath

3 hours ago, gayanath said:

Why don't you change engine oil at every 1,000 km (one thousand) for further more engine protection ?? 

Because I don't need to. Oil looks very clean at that moment. Like you said I am considering the other factors. For another person it may be a different scenario.

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

In a car without an oil life indicator, how do you use the odometer to have a sense of engine wear and tear (other recording the mileage it convered?) Genuinely confused by this...? 

What you said is true. I agree with that. What I meant was people think higher the odometer value higher the engine wear and tear. Its not true always because if a person use good oil (may be synthetic) and change it regularly according to his driving pattern and drive sensibly that particular engine may be far better than a one driven by a maniac with improper service.

6 minutes ago, thusharak340 said:

I had read all the conversations and got confused what oil that I would use for next service,  can you let me know what my understanding is correct

• Currently I am using Toyota 10W30  which is mineral base oil what I came to know and the mileage what I can go around 5K kms
  • If I need to extend oil change period I need to shift to synthetic oil from the mineral base oil
  • noted Laugh oil is not recommend and I will not use them
  • the synthetic oil that you can propose is 0w20 and I can continue with Toyota brand with 10K kms
  • odometer ready as 35K kms and there won't be any impact for the engine if I change the engine oil from 10W30 to 0W20 at this stage

Appreciate your guideline with this regard

Rgds

Please let me know your car model. Is it Toyota Vitz 1000 cc? Then what is the manufacturing year? 

8 minutes ago, gayanath said:

Please let me know your car model. Is it Toyota Vitz 1000 cc? Then what is the manufacturing year? 

Hi @gayanath

Toyota Passo M700 Model , 1000 cc , manufacture 2017 Sept,   odometer read 18K when I register vehicle and now 35K

Rgds

Edited by thusharak340

24 minutes ago, Amila_Silva said:

The purpose of this forum is to help individuals. Not to quote every sentence a person write and raise arguments. I see that you have written a constructive feedback regarding the Oil types and its really good.

Absolutely - Glad you see it that way. (And thank you! ) 

Edited by Kavvz

9 minutes ago, thusharak340 said:

Hi @gayanath

Toyota Passo M700 Model , 1000 cc , manufacture 2017 Sept,   odometer read 18K when I register vehicle and now 35K

Rgds

To the point very clearly......

image.png.487e3018f0ef875350713272ca762248.png

image.png.ab44d4639a174bbb1fbdfafbce90e55a.png

Above is from your cars "Owners Manual" (Toyota Passo 2017 - March onward) 

Clearly the recommended oil grade is 0W20, So use

1. Toyota 0W20  (It's a synthetic oil) for 10,000 km or

2. Use any reputed brand 0W20 Synthetic oil for 10,000 km replacement intervel 

Subjected to you are using the car 2,500 km per month. 

** No harm of using XW30 if 0W20 is not available so don't worry about previous usage of 10W30. 

7 minutes ago, gayanath said:

To the point very clearly......

image.png.487e3018f0ef875350713272ca762248.png

image.png.ab44d4639a174bbb1fbdfafbce90e55a.png

Above is from your cars "Owners Manual" (Toyota Passo 2017 - March onward) 

Clearly the recommended oil grade is 0W20, So use

1. Toyota 0W20  (It's a synthetic oil) for 10,000 km or

2. Use any reputed brand 0W20 Synthetic oil for 10,000 km replacement intervel 

Subjected to you are using the car 2,500 km per month. 

** No harm of using XW30 if 0W20 is not available so don't worry about previous usage of 10W30. 

Hi @gayanath

It is tremendous explanation and all the doubts are cleared by now, 

So next service I will use  below oil so I can run up to 20K kms as guarantee given by Mobil

+++++++++

Mobil 1™ Annual Protection 0W-20, a viscosity in our lineup of top-tier extended drain full synthetic motor oils, features advanced lubricant technology that provides proven protection for 20,000 miles or one full year between oil changes, whichever comes first – guaranteed.

+++++++++

14 hours ago, Kavvz said:

4. On the Laufs website among the products listed only SUPREME PETRA SAE 0W-20 and SUPREME GOLD SAE 5W-40 are fully synthetic but those oils are not compatible with your car and using either of them will invalidate your warranty from Toyota / the Toyota agent if they find out.

Hi @Kavvz

Explanation given by @gayanath, the user manual is mentioned to use 0W-20,   however as per your post it is not comparable to my vehicle, please can you further explain as I am going to use Mobil-1 Annual protection 0W-20 for next service

Rgds

• MADZ changed the title to Use long milage engine oil