• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

MIX UP ENGINE OIL

thusharak340

HI ,

I am using Toyota 1000CC small car,   normally I buy 4L engine oil  at the car service and after fill the oil around 1/2 L remained,  so next service I used that remaining oil with new lot,   I much appreciate your thoughts that is there any impact for the engine if I continue to mix up engine oil at any service..

If you are mixing oils of the same type from the same manufacturer, there should be no problem. If you have stored the motor oil in a cool, dark place and it has not passed the expiry date, you could use it. However, once the can is opened, moisture gets in and may deteriorate the oil over time. Therefore, you must check it carefully for its consistency. If it is thick and sticky, and has solid or gel-like particles, do not use it. If you see that the additives seem to have separated from the oil, it is not safe to use. You must also check its color. Usable motor oils have a clear appearance and if you notice any milkiness or haziness, that is a sign of water contamination and should not be used. 

Motor oil self life is around 5 years otherwise not specially mentioned by the manufacture. When you open the seal, this will reduce drastically because, even you close the can well, less oil in the can means more air inside. However, this not means you cannot store loose oil for sometime. Since you are replacing oil less than 6 months, no harm doing so IMO. Make sure to close the can well and use remained part in old can first so you will remain 1 or 2 L of new oil next time.    

Note: 1000 cc Toyota engines normally need 2.7 - 3.0 L so you may remain around 1 L. Isn't it? 

Edited by gayanath

54 minutes ago, gayanath said:

Motor oil self life is around 5 years otherwise not specially mentioned by the manufacture. When you open the seal, this will reduce drastically because, even you close the can well, less oil in the can means more air inside. However, this not means you cannot store loose oil for sometime. Since you are replacing oil less than 6 months, no harm doing so IMO. Make sure to close the can well and use remained part in old can first so you will remain 1 or 2 L of new oil next time.    

Note: 1000 cc Toyota engines normally need 2.7 - 3.0 L so you may remain around 1 L. Isn't it? 

Hi,

Thanks for valuable information,  yes mealy 1L remaining in each service, now I am having nearly 3L, and hesitate whether it use for this service or not. last service done on Jan 2020 and nearly two months parked at garage due to Covid lock down.

2 hours ago, CNX said:

If you are mixing oils of the same type from the same manufacturer, there should be no problem. If you have stored the motor oil in a cool, dark place and it has not passed the expiry date, you could use it. However, once the can is opened, moisture gets in and may deteriorate the oil over time. Therefore, you must check it carefully for its consistency. If it is thick and sticky, and has solid or gel-like particles, do not use it. If you see that the additives seem to have separated from the oil, it is not safe to use. You must also check its color. Usable motor oils have a clear appearance and if you notice any milkiness or haziness, that is a sign of water contamination and should not be used. 

Hi,

I got your point, will check the remaining oil and decide whether it use it or not

4 minutes ago, thusharak340 said:

Thanks for valuable information,  yes mealy 1L remaining in each service, now I am having nearly 3L, and hesitate whether it use for this service or not. last service done on Jan 2020 and nearly two months parked at garage due to Covid lock down.

3 L means less air inside. So keeping 5 months (properly closed) is not a problem. No need to worry... Use it. 

22 hours ago, thusharak340 said:

HI ,

I am using Toyota 1000CC small car,   normally I buy 4L engine oil  at the car service and after fill the oil around 1/2 L remained,  so next service I used that remaining oil with new lot,   I much appreciate your thoughts that is there any impact for the engine if I continue to mix up engine oil at any service..

No impact if you are using the same brand with same viscosity and the remaining oil were properly sealed.

Edited by Amila_Silva