• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Atv register

Rehan rusiru

2 hours ago, Rehan rusiru said:

How to rigister the atv bike 

125cc egl bike

You have to register those? I thought they don't need to be registered as they are not road legal (as they are only for private, off-road use). I guess you could register it as a 'Special Purpose Vehicle' with the dept. of motor vehicles, but you still won't be able to use on public roads etc...

A few years back I was in the hunt to import a one for our land. We have checked with SL customs for import duties and for some reason they wanted to charge under motor car category ?? 

Later I found plenty of Jap import 50cc - 125cc's available in Kurunegala but they weren't fit to our purpose which we need 4WD due to the soft sand in the land.

I have seen a few 4WD ATV's at some off-road events, I wondered they paid the full custom duties or landed differently.

RMV got no issues with the registrations as you can't use them to go to Handiye Kade, I mean you can just to show off but it's a no brainier thing.

What they should have done, class them as land vehicles and let people import them not for fun but real use.

We ended up buying a 4WD Kubota small tractor, it is slower but can't complain. :-) 

regards,

JC

16 minutes ago, john cooper said:

A few years back I was in the hunt to import a one for our land. We have checked with SL customs for import duties and for some reason they wanted to charge under motor car category ?? 

Later I found plenty of Jap import 50cc - 125cc's available in Kurunegala but they weren't fit to our purpose which we need 4WD due to the soft sand in the land.

I have seen a few 4WD ATV's at some off-road events, I wondered they paid the full custom duties or landed differently.

RMV got no issues with the registrations as you can't use them to go to Handiye Kade, I mean you can just to show off but it's a no brainier thing.

What they should have done, class them as land vehicles and let people import them not for fun but real use.

We ended up buying a 4WD Kubota small tractor, it is slower but can't complain. ?

regards,

JC

What? That doesn't make any sense at all! Especially when you can import and use 2-wheel tractors (hand tractors) and the like with minimal fuss...ATV's should logically should fall into the same category shouldn't they? 

But I guess that would be the 'sensible' approach and therefore null and void by default :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, Kavvz said:

What? That doesn't make any sense at all! Especially when you can import and use 2-wheel tractors (hand tractors) and the like with minimal fuss...ATV's should logically should fall into the same category shouldn't they? 

But I guess that would be the 'sensible' approach and therefore null and void by default :D 

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes doesn't make any sense but that's how it's works if you try use the correct process to import a quad bike.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, john cooper said:

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes doesn't make any sense but that's how it's works if you try use the correct process to import a quad bike.

No worries at all... But sad state of affairs really on how ATV's are registered- But to be expected I suppose. Sri Lankan bureaucracy at its finest! ? !!

• Haha 1