• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda engine sound problem

HesHDH

15 hours ago, HesHDH said:

I use Toyota Vios 2003 model. It shakes slightly when accelerating between 20kmph - 40kmph. Also I found same shaking issue around 2000RPM in N and P gears. But mechanics says these are two different issues. But I feel these two are same issue. So far I did followings after consulting few mechanics.

1. Change the wheel set of another car

2. Change both axles (Mechanic desided to do this since both CVs are bad and suspect there is a bent in axles)

3. Change front hubs with caliper kit and disks (recon complete set )

4. Finally change the gear box

5. Engine tuneup done recently (Air filter and plugs changed).

6. Mechanics checked engine mounts, timing chain and ignition coils as well. All are in good condition. 

But still having this issue. When I ride around 2100 RPM from the start, issue is not there. The issue starts from 20kmph when I ride around 1500rpm until 40 kmph. 

Can you advice me on this? 

@HesHDH a lot of this doesn't add up

changing axles sounds extreme right @iRage - if it was bent (agin unusual) it won't have an impact only at a particular speed it should affect every rotation logically wouldn't it?!

I'm not a proponent of used moving parts - the hubs could perhaps have been salvaged with new bearings, grease & seals

Again unless your shake came when you got on the brakes i don't see how that has a direct bearing if it's only at a particular speed

Have you got your wheel alignment done? Any idea if this car has been in a bad crash per chance?

Gearbox change sounds like massive overkill - the mounts would have been the first thing i'd have looked at (gearbox & engine - genuine brand new replacements not this "boru" "reconditioned used" - no such thing when it comes to old rubber parts!!)

Who are the mechanics you visited regarding this??

Are you sure that the car does not pulsate/shake at other speeds and it just that you are noticing it prominently only within the speed range you have indicated ? For example...when brake rotors get warped it is quite common that the pedal/steering pulse is felt for most drivers only at a specific speed.

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds to me like your mechanic has taken you for a pretty good ride. He's basically replaced the entire drivetrain (not to mention with recon parts) without checking simple things first.

For example, did you get a wheel balance done? It could be something as little as a missing or fallen off wheel weight causing the wheels to resonate more at a specific speed range. It could also be a stuck brake caliper binding one wheel at lower speeds. If you hear a hum from the front wheels at high speeds, it might even be excessively worn out wheel bearings. 

It's hard to diagnose things like sounds and vibrations on an online forum without seeing the car in person. The best would be to take your car to a different mechanic and have them inspect the front suspension and brakes first. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@HesHDH a lot of this doesn't add up

changing axles sounds extreme right @iRage - if it was bent (agin unusual) it won't have an impact only at a particular speed it should affect every rotation logically wouldn't it?!

I'm not a proponent of used moving parts - the hubs could perhaps have been salvaged with new bearings, grease & seals

Again unless your shake came when you got on the brakes i don't see how that has a direct bearing if it's only at a particular speed

Have you got your wheel alignment done? Any idea if this car has been in a bad crash per chance?

Gearbox change sounds like massive overkill - the mounts would have been the first thing i'd have looked at (gearbox & engine - genuine brand new replacements not this "boru" "reconditioned used" - no such thing when it comes to old rubber parts!!)

Who are the mechanics you visited regarding this??

I'm using this car since 2016 and this issue wan't there when I bought it. This started suddenly little by little after a two years back. However  the only parts I replaced are, all three mounts (Toyota Genuine) and I didn't do anything since I bought this car except general services until this issue started. The mechanic changed the gearbox, but the issue wasn't resolved. Gearbox replaced by Sampath motors. Also I visited Mr Dhammika (Cotta rd), he checked ignition coils and full scan. The only issuehe found was the temperature of gear oil is little bit higher than normal. This is why mechanic decided to replace the gear box.

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Are you sure that the car does not pulsate/shake at other speeds and it just that you are noticing it prominently only within the speed range you have indicated ? For example...when brake rotors get warped it is quite common that the pedal/steering pulse is felt for most drivers only at a specific speed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Since you asked I checked again. I found same shaking issue when hard accelerating speed between 60 - 80 kmph.

few weeks back I had to replace front caliper kit due to a  break bind. Mechanic replaced both side of "front Gediya" and it includes genuine break pads, hub racer and disk. actually it is cheaper than buying a brand-new caliper kit. 

1 hour ago, Davy said:

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds to me like your mechanic has taken you for a pretty good ride. He's basically replaced the entire drivetrain (not to mention with recon parts) without checking simple things first.

For example, did you get a wheel balance done? It could be something as little as a missing or fallen off wheel weight causing the wheels to resonate more at a specific speed range. It could also be a stuck brake caliper binding one wheel at lower speeds. If you hear a hum from the front wheels at high speeds, it might even be excessively worn out wheel bearings. 

It's hard to diagnose things like sounds and vibrations on an online forum without seeing the car in person. The best would be to take your car to a different mechanic and have them inspect the front suspension and brakes first. 

Thanks Dave for the feedback.

Yes wheel balancing and alignment are done. Car shakes acceleration between 20-40 kmph and hard acceleration between 60-80 kmph.

few weeks back I had to replace front caliper kit due to a  break bind. Mechanic replaced both side of "front Gediya" and it includes genuine break pads, hub racer and disk. actually it is cheaper than buying a brand-new caliper kit. 

Copied from my original description

"Also I found same shaking issue around 2000RPM in N and P gears. But mechanics says these are two different issues. But I feel these two are same issue."

Have you noticed this?

Cheers

Heshan

get rid of your makabass first.What is the nature of vibration?steering wheel vibration or engine vibration?ask a freind to rev to that rpm and watch the engine for yourself what is vibrating.Check fuel pump pressure,check your igntion coils one by one even though it doesn't throw any codes.finally check the vvt sludge.

46 minutes ago, GayanR said:

get rid of your makabass first.What is the nature of vibration?steering wheel vibration or engine vibration?ask a freind to rev to that rpm and watch the engine for yourself what is vibrating.Check fuel pump pressure,check your igntion coils one by one even though it doesn't throw any codes.finally check the vvt sludge.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's not a engine vibration, it is something shake/shuttering. It feel like shake whole car. Mr. Dhammika from Cotta rd did full scan while running the vehicle. Also checked ignition coils. One of another mechanic removed the fuel pump and checked it. The only thing is remain VVT sludge.

Edited by HesHDH

28 minutes ago, HesHDH said:

Thanks for the feedback.

It's not a engine vibration, it is something shake/shuttering. It feel like shake whole car. Mr. Dhammika from Cotta rd did full scan while running the vehicle. Also checked ignition coils. One of another mechanic removed the fuel pump and checked it. The only thing is remain VVT sludge.

did you check the rear shocks?vios rear shocks tend to throw out those symptoms.does it feel like dog waging his tail?

10 hours ago, HesHDH said:

actually it is cheaper than buying a brand-new caliper kit. 

Cheaper doesn't mean better or correct even :(

Whenever you replace a with used parts you are doing so without knowing the usage prior to your purchase. Although cosmetically things may seem fine there is no guarantee to say that it has been used less than what you have taken off your own car or is in a better state.

Also things like brake pads - those are wear items. Why would you replace them with 2nd hand parts? Also how do you know for certain that they are genuine?

Even CV's wear and brake so this sounds like some misguided replacement of unnecessary parts using unsuitable components chasing false economy. I'm sorry if i sound harsh @HesHDH but I just feel as though all these various technicians have taken advantage of you :( 

I don't think I can contribute much here as there are more knowledgeable minds at work; but there is one thing that I think everyone agrees on: Your mechanic is terrible and has made a lot of money off you at your expense. 

Also just out of interest: Does the shaking / stuttering happen when the car is stationary too or only when it is moving? 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:47 PM, Devinda_Z said:

Cheaper doesn't mean better or correct even :(

Whenever you replace a with used parts you are doing so without knowing the usage prior to your purchase. Although cosmetically things may seem fine there is no guarantee to say that it has been used less than what you have taken off your own car or is in a better state.

Also things like brake pads - those are wear items. Why would you replace them with 2nd hand parts? Also how do you know for certain that they are genuine?

Even CV's wear and brake so this sounds like some misguided replacement of unnecessary parts using unsuitable components chasing false economy. I'm sorry if i sound harsh @HesHDH but I just feel as though all these various technicians have taken advantage of you :( 

Do you have any idea about this issue to resolve this?

On 6/18/2020 at 6:50 AM, HesHDH said:

1. Change the wheel set of another car

2. Change both axles (Mechanic desided to do this since both CVs are bad and suspect there is a bent in axles)

3. Change front hubs with caliper kit and disks (recon complete set )

4. Finally change the gear box

5. Engine tuneup done recently (Air filter and plugs changed).

6. Mechanics checked engine mounts, timing chain and ignition coils as well. All are in good condition. 

But still having this issue. When I ride around 2100 RPM from the start, issue is not there. The issue starts from 20kmph when I ride around 1500rpm until 40 kmph. 

It seems like you have changed everything except the car. 

I think it is better to show the car to Mr.L*l Al*w*tta. His workshop is at Battaramulla. He is a very experienced and reputed automobile engineer and normally he detects the problem quickly (most probably after driving a small distance). But keep in mind that he is not so friendly and does not like us to talk bla bla. Therefore don't be a "chatter box" in front of him and just explain your problem in short form. (That is his nature, we have to tolerate it). But definitely he will trouble shoot the problem. 

• HesHDH changed the title to Mazda engine sound problem