• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Odometer on vezel/grace

CARLOVER99

You can't really identify a tampered odo with 100% certainty but there are some things you can try:

1. Ask for service records. If the seller has service records from the authorized dealer you can verify those records with them

2. Check around the odometer for physical damages. Tampering with the odometer often requires disassembly of the odometer (yes, digital ones too) so there could be a mark or two left by a careless technician

3.  Check the physical condition of the car. Multifunction buttons or handrests cannot be faded in a car that has done only 50k

4. Verify auction papers online if its an unregistered car via https://jpcenter.ru/report, costs $10. Verify inspection reports (JAAI/Jevic reports) too while you're at it

5. Get the car inspected and scanned by Carchecks. The ECU records the mileage each time you clear DTCs so there is a slight chance of tamper detection through a scan

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

2. Check around the odometer for physical damages. Tampering with the odometer often requires disassembly of the odometer (yes, digital ones too) so there could be a mark or two left by a careless technician

4. Verify auction papers online if its an unregistered car via https://jpcenter.ru/report, costs $10. Verify inspection reports (JAAI/Jevic reports) too while you're at it

5. Get the car inspected and scanned.....The ECU records the mileage each time you clear DTCs so there is a slight chance of tamper detection through a scan

For 2>>I looked about online to educate myself on the matter as I was so out of it and what I discovered was that most of the methods utilized to roll back odometers simply involve a connection via the OBD port, so no disassembly required. One method (involved in stopping the odometer rather than changing it) did involve the disassembly of the dash, but I feel our fellows are working via the OBD port; so there may not be evidence of tampering- BUT certainly: It doesn't hurt to look...

For 3>> Do you know the scan tool (OBD2 scanner and version) that allows you to do this? Would be a super useful tool to have, not only to check for mileage but also to check for jury-rigged repairs when buying older cars...

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

For 2>>I looked about online to educate myself on the matter as I was so out of it and what I discovered was that most of the methods utilized to roll back odometers simply involve a connection via the OBD port, so no disassembly required. One method (involved in stopping the odometer rather than changing it) did involve the disassembly of the dash, but I feel our fellows are working via the OBD port; so there may not be evidence of tampering- BUT certainly: It doesn't hurt to look...

The few people I know who are in this business go through the disassembly route though. I'm guessing Japanese cars need disassembling the odometer and changing values stored in the EEPROM. Have you seen someone changing the odometer value of a Japanese vehicle (especially JDM) using the OBD port?

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

For 3>> Do you know the scan tool (OBD2 scanner and version) that allows you to do this? Would be a super useful tool to have, not only to check for mileage but also to check for jury-rigged repairs when buying older cars...

Did you mean #5? I think it's the launch X431. (Maybe cheaper iterations of Launch scanners are capable of this too, X431 is the top-of-the-line version. All I know is it IS a launch scanner :D)

dVUZt8e.png

The value "65535" doesn't change after passing that mileage so this car could've been cleared of DTCs after running 100k kms, but it's useful to confirm mileage tampering nevertheless, as long as the new (false) mileage is below 65535kms

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Did you mean #5? I think it's the launch X431. (Maybe cheaper iterations of Launch scanners are capable of this too, X431 is the top-of-the-line version. All I know is it IS a launch scanner :D)

dVUZt8e.png

The value "65535" doesn't change after passing that mileage so this car could've been cleared of DTCs after running 100k kms, but it's useful to confirm mileage tampering nevertheless, as long as the new (false) mileage is below 65535kms

Awesome! Good one @Hyaenidae

Edited by Kavvz

42 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

The few people I know who are in this business go through the disassembly route though. I'm guessing Japanese cars need disassembling the odometer and changing values stored in the EEPROM. Have you seen someone changing the odometer value of a Japanese vehicle (especially JDM) using the OBD port?

Personally no. Via online tutorials and discussion forums/boards: Sadly yes.

Not sure if they were specifically JDM models but there was a number of Japanese makes supported by this OBD tool (Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota were on the list of supported vehicles, but not Honda). Its sadly quite cheap and widely available on eBay and Amazon... ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

dVUZt8e.png

Thinking about the number '65535' in a different way. Its 2¹⁶-1. See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65,535