• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz 2016 Ksp 130

10 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Periodic CVT oil change with the right spec oil (ideally long before - 40,000 kms @iRage?) before the manufacturer mandated gearbox servicing intervals ?

Manufacturer in Japan does not recommend a service interval for the gearbox as it is a non-serviceable unit. The workshop manuals for Toyota suggest inspect and replace if needed at 100,000km.  This does not work in reality. The local agent recommends a 40,000km change.  If the service history is maintained by the agents they might even ask you to do a change at lesser intervals depending on how the car has been used (but that hardly is the case in SL because no one fully maintains their cars at the agents here).

• Like 1

Most service stations do ask the owners to do a ATF change at 40k. My car is coming towards 40k next service, So they already has mentioned it to me. :D 

Anyway, Is there a need to change the coolant at this point? To my knowledge it should be around 80k or something if needed right? Because I remember they mention about changing coolant at 40k too which I think is not necessary.

Really ? ATF ? or CVT fluid ? AT are not that temperamental in our driving conditions....it would hold longer.  Also...be careful about these service boys. Two places I took my old Mark X to as a last minute resort for an oil change almost dumped CVT fluid in to my transmission. The Mark X has a AT not a CVT. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rubesh said:

Does toyota vitz 2016 comes with CVT gear box?? What is cvt and what users can do to maintain them properly?? 

Yes it has a CVT gearbox. You may refer articles similar to below on what CVT is and it's advisable to change CVT fluid in every 40000 KM or less for Sri Lankan conditions. Also always put Toyota CVT-FE for your CVT gearbox, nothing else.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-tech/101267/what-is-a-cvt-gearbox

On 4/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, gNaveendra said:

Not sure this was what you looking for.

8 hours ago, amsandun said:

Most service stations do ask the owners to do a ATF change at 40k. My car is coming towards 40k next service, So they already has mentioned it to me. :D 

Anyway, Is there a need to change the coolant at this point? To my knowledge it should be around 80k or something if needed right? Because I remember they mention about changing coolant at 40k too which I think is not necessary.

I think you only need to topup coolant level

15 minutes ago, hrm said:

Yes it has a CVT gearbox. You may refer articles similar to below on what CVT is and it's advisable to change CVT fluid in every 40000 KM or less for Sri Lankan conditions. Also always put Toyota CVT-FE for your CVT gearbox, nothing else.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-tech/101267/what-is-a-cvt-gearbox

Thank you for the information. It was useful

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Also...be careful about these service boys. Two places I took my old Mark X to as a last minute resort for an oil change almost dumped CVT fluid in to my transmission. The Mark X has a AT not a CVT. 

Same situation here: Did a transmission oil change on an older van (partial, just dropped the pan, cleaned it and the magnets) and caught them just in time to correct them on the proper fluid they need to use, they then insisted that for older vans the fluid they were using was right- which is complete BS ! )

1. I would watch the buggers like a hawk and no matter what they say don't deviate from the fluid specs on the manual (refill with the same fluid no matter what)

2. Make sure they add back the right amount of fluid

Edited by Kavvz

On 6/10/2020 at 6:51 PM, hrm said:

You may refer articles similar to below on what CVT is and it's advisable to change CVT fluid in every 40000 KM or less for Sri Lankan conditions.

What are the Sri Lankan conditions badly affecting for more frequent CVT oil changes than manufacture recommendations for Japan, and other countries ? (I mean the difference of conditions and how it related technically for oil deterioration) 

On 6/10/2020 at 11:01 AM, amsandun said:

There is a sticker pasted under the bonnet which says the required intervals. You may use google translator to read it. 

28 minutes ago, gayanath said:

What are the Sri Lankan conditions badly affecting for more frequent CVT oil changes than manufacture recommendations for Japan, and other countries ? (I mean the difference of conditions and how it related technically for oil deterioration) 

I don't sweat it actually. I just replace according to what agent says because I can :D . Just kidding but actually I don't know if there's any technical study was done to find where the SL conditions fit in the maintenance schedules meant for Japan so I'm just going with the agent and owners could think otherwise.

Edited by hrm
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hrm said:

I don't sweat it actually. I just replace according to what agent says because I can :D . Just kidding but actually I don't know if there's any technical study was done to find where the SL conditions fit in the maintenance schedules meant for Japan so I'm just going with the agent and owners could think otherwise.

Actually, I requested this in writing from TL few years back (in 2016), but they just replied me that their recommendation is so and so, but no technical justification for their answer even I requested repeatedly. That's how our leading agents approach .......

2 hours ago, gayanath said:

Actually, I requested this in writing from TL few years back (in 2016), but they just replied me that their recommendation is so and so, but no technical justification for their answer even I requested repeatedly. That's how our leading agents approach .......

Agreed.

9 hours ago, gayanath said:

There is a sticker pasted under the bonnet which says the required intervals. You may use google translator to read it. 

The sticker is not there in all (for some reason). Father in law's Allion had it but none of my RAV4s did. So it could be a dealership thing. The Allion sticker just repeated what was there in the workshop manual...that the gearbox is a non serviceable unit and does not require oil changes and that it has an inspection at 100,000km.

9 hours ago, gayanath said:

I don't think anyone has done any such studies. Most are going by the fact that there was a period (especially with the first wave of cars to come to the country with CVTs) where a whole host of cars developed premature CVT unit failure (you might recall CVT units being a hot commodity around Delkanda during the time). It seemed like with regular maintenance (fluid changes) the problem seemed to have been mitigated (both in newer cars and the CVT unit replaced ones). If this happened because of the regular maintenance or not (or in newer cars because the CVT has actually improved)..no one knows. My RAV4 in Tanzania got a CVT fluid replacement at about 85,000kms (for the first time)...and those usage conditions are not any different (perhaps even worst) than in SL.

However, it also does seem like Toyota Japan somewhat under-estimated the service requirements for their first CVTs. My father in law's Allion got its transmission inspected during prep for a shaken inspection and it had about 60,000km..then at 80,000km (although there is an 80,000km inspection as it is the recommended service point for a severe use vehicle). They had not changed the fluid but checked the transmission unit. A few other cars I know of has had similar work done to it. So although it is a non serviceable item for 100,000km they do service it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sometime ago I was driving up hill and feel my cvt transmission slipping. I changed to transmission fluid and since then it has not happen again. Don't know where they get this thing about non-serviceable transmission. All fluids or oil has a lifespan and require change at appropriate intervals.