• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

SUV for 5mil to be used for long distance travelling.

esanda007

Dear all

I'm looking for a suv for daily 200km drive, fuel economy and comfort matters. I'll be driving up and down to kandy from colombo. Any suggestions?

Here are some options I've figured considering current market prices for my available budget.(5mil)

Nissan X tail hybrid 2015

KIA Sorento Diesel 2011

Hyundai Santa fe 2010

SSang yong rexton 2009

Please give your suggestions.

Have used a Rexton 2008 model for 8 years and 250K+  KMS. Didn't had any issues apart from regular maintenance. 

But this is somewhat old now, good news is these are mostly brought for permits and still the 1st owners are selling them off for upgrade, but if you could bag a low mileage unit, it will be a solid choice. And you will be able to get one around 4 Mil mark where you could save some buck.

Currently using a KIA Sorento Diesel 2014 model and 65+ KMS, again no issues.   the Sorento 2010 -2012 models are not very much different underneath apart from the cosmetic differences.  

Ride quality wise, Sorento is somewhat comfortable than the Rexton, but nothing to brag about. 

Hyundai Santafe is not much different from the Sorento but less popular in SL due to higher purchase cost brand new, majority went with the Sorento.

Edited by JayZ

9 hours ago, esanda007 said:

Nissan X tail hybrid 2015

KIA Sorento Diesel 2011

Hyundai Santa fe 2010

SSang yong rexton 2009

I'd vote for the Sorento  or the Santa-fe. The X-trail depreciated rapidly due to it's gear-box related issues and and aging Ssangyong with that unreliable agent wouldn't be my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys. What i was also prefering is sorento considering the pulling power but heard many rumors about a engine issue which requires an overhaul or a replacement after usage. Considering the market its very difficulty to depend on the mileage readings these days. Do you have any experience with this engine issue of sorento?

Xtrail gear box fixing costs maximum near 300k these days from a reliable place. These were vehicles that have depreciated almost 3 to 4million lkr.

Edited by esanda007

Given your budget most of the cars in your list will be 8-10 years old and would have covered over 100K km needing attention in some areas.

Since you are going to cover approximately 50K km annually why don't you look at something brand new with agent warranty which would give you trouble free motoring for 3-4 years.

If you go used you will have to factor repairs unless you change your vehicle every year or so.

2 hours ago, kush said:

If you go used you will have to factor repairs unless you change your vehicle every year or so.

People do that? As in sell a vehicle rather than repair it? How? - Why? I mean, is Peradeniya full of Kardashians now or something? 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kavvz said:

People do that? As in sell a vehicle rather than repair it? How? and Why? I mean is Peradeniya full of Kardashians now or something? 

That's a real thing bro. I know a guy who came around advising me to change vehicles every 3-4 months before they show off any "headaches". Needless to say, I don't have to explain how many things are wrong in that so called advice. 

They are the same people who come up with the trad sunny, Mal light allion, Sinha moona, and such kindergarten nicknames. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AVANTE said:

That's a real thing bro. I know a guy who came around advising me to change vehicles every 3-4 months before they show off any "headaches". Needless to say, I don't have to explain how many things are wrong in that so called advice. 

They are the same people who come up with the trad sunny, Mal light allion, Sinha moona, and such kindergarten nicknames. 

Unbelievable! I thought people in Kandy were a bit more laid back and logical: I guess not! How this “please change vehicles every 3-4 months logic” applies baffles me...It takes me at least that long to change out all the fluids and set the radio !! 

But just for kicks: If we apply this logic to the used Toyota car market, we end with a hypothesis as to why there are so many crappy, abused, ill-maintained Toyota's for sale  :D 

I mean as long as everyone is diligently following manufacturer recommended service intervals and changing out worn parts as needed, even if you flip cars every 3-4 months for a profit / loss everything is fine...But imagine a market where in order to maximize profits ( or save on expenses) everyone skimps out on brake pad replacements, oil changes, air filter replacements, suspension maintenance etc and just sells their vehicle?

Viola! You have a snapshot of the current used Toyota car market!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Unbelievable! I thought people in Kandy were a bit more laid back and logical: I guess not! How this “please change vehicles every 3-4 months logic” applies baffles me...It takes me at least that long to change out all the fluids and set the radio !! 

All I could accomplish in 3 months was replace the gear knob and the headlight tint. 

Some people are lazy and usually treat cars the same way they treat everything in their lives. If it's acting weird, throw it away. If she's annoying, cheat and find a mistress. Car wants a new set of tyres? Time for a new car. 

Also, like you said about the Toyota market. Imagine what will happen in another 10 years down the line with all these complex computerized cars coming into the 2nd hand market coupled with this mentality. You get a market that's now a minefield. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GK_007 said:

@esanda007 Just noticed there is a Santa Fe 2012 CRDI for sale, on the quick site. Its in Peradeniya also, may be worth a visit. :) 

Do you think its worth spending almost similar amount of a 2011 sorento to a old face santafe. I dont have any drive in experience on both vehicles. I can hardly differentiate difference between 2006 santafe and that of 2012. Is there any difference technologically? 2008 santa fe sells cheaper than a rexton. ?

10 hours ago, kush said:

Given your budget most of the cars in your list will be 8-10 years old and would have covered over 100K km needing attention in some areas.

Since you are going to cover approximately 50K km annually why don't you look at something brand new with agent warranty which would give you trouble free motoring for 3-4 years.

Thank you for the concern bro. Considering the current market prices ill end up with a vitz or a chinese MG for this budget. I feel driving a 10 year old rexton or a sorento will be better considering the comfort and simply the looks of it.

11 hours ago, esanda007 said:

Thank you for the concern bro. Considering the current market prices ill end up with a vitz or a chinese MG for this budget. I feel driving a 10 year old rexton or a sorento will be better considering the comfort and simply the looks of it.

As I said before, the post 2010 Rexton with 2.8 engine is a solid choice, even with 250k KMS did not felt any engine issues at all. The 2010+ models which came with the 2.0 engine felt under powered and engine is much stressed out compared to the older version, also given the weight of the vehicle. (I did test drove some of them those days just to compare)

But yes, most of the 1st permit owners have sold them by now and most have done mileage. 

I'd take a 2012 Sorento any day than the new MG.