• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Investing Tips (Stocks/Shares)

amsandun

Guys,

I am sure most of you might have invested in assets hoping for financial growth and freedom.

What are your investing experience so far? How about CSE? Any other assets?

I am hoping to do some investing as a beginner but must be cautious especially in these times.

your sincere inputs are much appreciated.

Thanks.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:28 AM, amsandun said:

Guys,

I am sure most of you might have invested in assets hoping for financial growth and freedom.

What are your investing experience so far? How about CSE? Any other assets?

I am hoping to do some investing as a beginner but must be cautious especially in these times.

your sincere inputs are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Interesting question @amsandun

We used to have active members back in the old days like @GTAm who would have been able to give you insight in to the CSE and other investment options as well

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

Interesting question @amsandun

We used to have active members back in the old days like @GTAm who would have been able to give you insight in to the CSE and other investment options as well

yes I would love to read some comments on this as I will be sailing towards uncharted waters. 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:09 PM, amsandun said:

yes I would love to read some comments on this as I will be sailing towards uncharted waters. 

I have learned the hard way sadly that investing on fundamentals in relation to (most) local stocks don't result in even medium term gains :(

So much speculation (& alleged insider trading)  - just look at the drama that followed the post-war boom and 2011/12 bust 

Paper stocks flourished for no reason

It was (is?) more of a gamble than a sound business play in Sri Lanka IMO

The answer is simple. Don't put your money in the share market, even when the share prices are attractive (now, for example). That place is infested by manipulators and its a good time for them to play their game with stocks that had a good reputation in the past (like large banks). Invest in a land instead. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey, I had been investing in stocks for 5 years, now I'm investing in bitcoin, I think it's our future without cash money. This cryptocurrency is the most reliable, so if you want to start investing in it I advise you to read Mastering bitcoin. Also, you need to know that you can use special sites which are making transactions anonymously so that no one couldn't receive your personal data. If you don't know, what site should you use, I advise you to read this article and choose the best bitcoin mixer for yourself. Personally, I'm using Smartmixer.io and I'm pleased with it.

Edited by Lckofblak

On 8/2/2020 at 12:44 PM, Lckofblak said:

I'm sorry for posting here but I want to start investing but I don't know how to start doing it, can help me?

If you are that unsure: Best advice you'll get = Don't.  Its a dirty business and not for the naive or unconnected as others above have pointed out. Buy some land in a desirable area instead. Or better still, buy a rentable commercial porperty. 

Case in point: Recent (July 31st 2020) exit of a major investor in a tech-hotel-real estate company: Sold her shares to her Dad @ Rs.11 after paying herself and the other shareholders a dividend of Rs 8 per share the previous year. How did the company pay the dividend- via profits one would think? No. They took on more debt. 

She double dipped, and walked away with around US$ 3 mil I believe  after the dust settles; leaving the company debt to asset ratio at over 1400% (wrongside up). How did the Dad finance the purchase of her shares? Why, via the dividend she signed off on of course...Smart move for the family. For their smaller shareholders= Too bad, wise-up next time, type of senario! 

Am I bitter? Yes.

Can I do anything about it? No. Its all legal. The family jointly owns 75% ish of the said company. So they decided what they wanted to do about the dividend, and how they wanted to source it and pay it out. And now they have at least USD$ 3 mil in free cashflow outside of the company to invest in their next venture. 

Can people talk about this type of daylight robbery publically / Do they? No. Only stupid people like me would do such a thing...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 7:50 PM, Kavvz said:

If you are that unsure: Best advice you'll get = Don't.  Its a dirty business and not for the naive or unconnected as others above have pointed out. Buy some land in a desirable area instead. Or better still, buy a rentable commercial porperty. 

Case in point: Recent (July 31st 2020) exit of a major investor in a tech-hotel-real estate company: Sold her shares to her Dad @ Rs.11 after paying herself and the other shareholders a dividend of Rs 8 per share the previous year. How did the company pay the dividend- via profits one would think? No. They took on more debt. 

She double dipped, and walked away with around US$ 3 mil I believe  after the dust settles; leaving the company debt to asset ratio at over 1400% (wrongside up). How did the Dad finance the purchase of her shares? Why, via the dividend she signed off on of course...Smart move for the family. For their smaller shareholders= Too bad, wise-up next time, type of senario! 

Am I bitter? Yes.

Can I do anything about it? No. Its all legal. The family jointly owns 75% ish of the said company. So they decided what they wanted to do about the dividend, and how they wanted to source it and pay it out. And now they have at least USD$ 3 mil in free cashflow outside of the company to invest in their next venture. 

Can people talk about this type of daylight robbery publically / Do they? No. Only stupid people like me would do such a thing...

I think you are wrong about this. This particular company does not have any debt now. Dividend was paid out of proceeds from disposal of a stake in a certain investment.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:14 PM, Lckofblak said:

I'm sorry for posting here but I want to start investing but I don't know how to start doing it, can help me?

First step is to open a CDS account via a stock broker. Find one that is accessible by small investors, meet the advisor and have a chat. Genuine ones are rare but you can get the initial understanding. Thereafter you have two options. Either believe what their research says and act on that, or start learning (that is life long) and analyse companies' yourself. Do not get tempted at any times. Don't put your money when everyone is saying the market is 'doing good' after prices have risen beyond reasonable levels.

4 hours ago, NPP said:

I think you are wrong about this. This particular company does not have any debt now. Dividend was paid out of proceeds from disposal of a stake in a certain investment.

Nope. That money is long gone. The company is heavily in debt.

425% odd debt to assets in 2017/2018 (which is when the said asset was sold) which then increased to 1400% odd debt to asset ratio afterwards in 2019. Look on their annual reports 2017/18 and 2019/20.

The company hasn't even filed Quarterly updates on cash and earnings / liquidity since the 2019/20 annual report as per the CSE requirements...

Edited by Kavvz

Wonder if we are talking of the same company. The one I am referring to sold this asset in April 2019. 2019/20 AR not released yet and interim reports are available till December 2019

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

425% odd debt to assets in 2017/2018 (which is when the said asset was sold) which then increased to 1400% odd debt to asset ratio afterwards in 2019. Look on their annual reports 2017/18 and 2019/20.

The company hasn't even filed Quarterly updates on cash and earnings / liquidity since the 2019/20 annual report as per the CSE requirements...

3 hours ago, NPP said:

Wonder if we are talking of the same company. The one I am referring to sold this asset in April 2019. 2019/20 AR not released yet and interim reports are available till December 2019

No we are talking of different companies then...

On 8/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, Kavvz said:

Am I bitter? Yes.

17 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Hi All: I've been sent some interesting info which may end up showing that the above statements I made are not entirely accurate. I haven't finished digging around to verify etc, but its interesting enough for me to say this: Clearly I may not know the entire story and my statements above may be erroneous or at best partially accurate.

Also after the election results tomorrow if I get white vanned: You all know what happened!  - (I'm going to leave detailed instructions on my desk requesting that if there is CCTV footage of any suspicious vehicles that it be posted immediately to our Quiz trivia thread: I know our boys will nail down the abduction vehicle in minutes so - All good! :D ) 

• 2 years later...