• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota 141 AC Compressor Replacement

GL86

Question

Hi Guys,

Recently my 141 end up with traditional AC compressor issue. When I check in few places, they asking between 90K - 100K to replace compressor (not with Japan original one but brand new only 6 months warranty) and condenser. When I check with Toyota, but those leeches asking 200K only for compressor. I have no idea about price tag for AC compressor.  Please share your ideas about that price also if you can give any recommendation for this job near Kohuwala, Kotte, Maharagama, Dehiwala area its really helpful to me.

Thanks,

GL

Edited by GL86

16 answers to this question

There are brand new compressors available for 50-70K at some places but I don't think they are from Japan. Maybe from Thailand or Taiwan. They are compatible with Allion, Premio and Axios and not sure about 141 though. I had the issue in my car and chose to replace with a used genuine compressor for 11K as I remember and it was still working after 1 year of use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hrm said:

There are brand new compressors available for 50-70K at some places but I don't think they are from Japan. Maybe from Thailand or Taiwan. They are compatible with Allion, Premio and Axios and not sure about 141 though. I had the issue in my car and chose to replace with a used genuine compressor for 11K as I remember and it was still working after 1 year of use.

Thanks for your reply hrm, I check with used compressors but it will cost around 55K to replace both compressor and conductor. Most of people said dont go for used compressors because they cannot guaranteed lifetime of it. Most of AC repairing places said same thing. They said it may work for one or two years or may be one or two months but after 1 week they cannot exchange compressor. However spending more than 100K is troubling me because of current situation.

1 hour ago, GL86 said:

Thanks for your reply hrm, I check with used compressors but it will cost around 55K to replace both compressor and conductor. Most of people said dont go for used compressors because they cannot guaranteed lifetime of it. Most of AC repairing places said same thing. They said it may work for one or two years or may be one or two months but after 1 week they cannot exchange compressor. However spending more than 100K is troubling me because of current situation.

True but I took the risk and installed a used one since these VDC type compressors anyway not going to last like conventional compressors. Even a 55K worth brand new one might give up after 50K KM or so depending on usage. However I don't suggest you to do the same but it seems TL price for a genuine Denso Japan made compressor is just about right.  Btw why did you need to change the condenser?

Edited by hrm

57 minutes ago, hrm said:

True but I took the risk and installed a used one since these VDC type compressors anyway not going to last like conventional compressors. Even a 55K worth brand new one might give up after 50K KM or so depending on usage. However I don't suggest you to do the same but it seems TL price for a genuine Denso Japan made compressor is just about right.  Btw why did you need to change the condenser?

They mentioning 80K compressor is brand new Denso one. But there is no way to confirm it is a cheap replica or branded Denso. They asked to change condenser because of my AC compressor starts with some loud noise. They said it is possible to existing compressor inside parts are already broken and it may block my condenser as well. If I want to go for a brand new compressor then they asked to change condenser as well. Is there a way to identify any blocking in the existing condenser?

I can share the contact details of my trusted A/C repair place. It’s located in Pinwatte-Panadura .

Workshop name is Himara Engineering, owner is Palitha and this is his mobile number (077) 753 7409. 

He knows his stuff and well experienced. You can talk to him and get an opinion on what needs to be done.  Just give it a try, you won’t regret it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trinity said:

I can share the contact details of my trusted A/C repair place. It’s located in Pinwatte-Panadura .

Workshop name is Himara Engineering, owner is Palitha and this is his mobile number (077) 753 7409. 

He knows his stuff and well experienced. You can talk to him and get an opinion on what needs to be done.  Just give it a try, you won’t regret it. 

Thanks trinity. I will contact him and asked for more details. Thanks again

32 minutes ago, GL86 said:

They mentioning 80K compressor is brand new Denso one. But there is no way to confirm it is a cheap replica or branded Denso. They asked to change condenser because of my AC compressor starts with some loud noise. They said it is possible to existing compressor inside parts are already broken and it may block my condenser as well. If I want to go for a brand new compressor then they asked to change condenser as well. Is there a way to identify any blocking in the existing condenser?

In my case they had removed the condenser, checked for leaks/damages, cleaned and fixed it back. But I didn't had the noise you mentioned so better to check that before replacing the compressor.

27 minutes ago, hrm said:

In my case they had removed the condenser, checked for leaks/damages, cleaned and fixed it back. But I didn't had the noise you mentioned so better to check that before replacing the compressor.

I think they ask for condenser replacement for their ease I will ask to check existing condenser and use existing one because new one cost almost 20K :(

Hi @GL86,

I've heard the same issue from a friend of mine who owns a 141. The issue is AC comp. of this car is pretty expensive and parts are bit rare. So one of the AC shops have suggested him to change the unit with a 121 model which has plenty of parts and repair cost after wards also very minimum. Since he doesn't drive the car very often he haven't done any repair yet. but even i would think doing such conversion properly will save you heaps of money in future maintenance .. just an opinion you could check this possibility with your mechanics as well

31 minutes ago, PerfMad said:

Hi @GL86,

I've heard the same issue from a friend of mine who owns a 141. The issue is AC comp. of this car is pretty expensive and parts are bit rare. So one of the AC shops have suggested him to change the unit with a 121 model which has plenty of parts and repair cost after wards also very minimum. Since he doesn't drive the car very often he haven't done any repair yet. but even i would think doing such conversion properly will save you heaps of money in future maintenance .. just an opinion you could check this possibility with your mechanics as well

It's the usual response that many AC guys give and I had to push them to fix a 260 compressor instead of 121 one. I don't know about 141 but it's not so recommended for Allion/Premio/Axios. 121 compressor is a conventional clutch based one and actually reliable because it's simple in operation and it only engage momentarily based on cabin temp. But those original VDC compressors are controlled by the ECU with variable compression based on many parameters and permanently coupled with the engine.  They add considerably less load for the engine compared to the 121 compressor. and doesn't affect fuel economy no matter your turn AC on or off. It's kinda trade off.

141 do not have climate controls so my understanding was it is just a thermostatic control like in the good old days.

May be I'm wrong here.

Original parts for 141 are generally cheaper outside as there are people who get them down directly from Thailand you may be able to source the compressor through them.

On 6/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, PerfMad said:

Hi @GL86,

Thanks buddy for your reply. There are few places I visited said same thing, they can convert it 121 compressor. But they mentioned that, it has to change few things in vehicle if I go for 121 conversion.

Edited by GL86

On 6/15/2020 at 9:30 AM, kush said:

141 do not have climate controls so my understanding was it is just a thermostatic control like in the good old days.

May be I'm wrong here.

Original parts for 141 are generally cheaper outside as there are people who get them down directly from Thailand you may be able to source the compressor through them.

Exactly, in Sri Lanka spare parts are very expensive because this was not a JDM vehicle as lot of people said. When I ask quotation for this job from TL they ask to spent almost 300K for brand new compressor. I replied them I didnt ask for engine replacement.

Thanks everyone for your replies and its very helpful to me. I went to the Himara Engineering and Mr Palitha did complete job for 84K. He replaced compressor with brand new compressor (he show me new compressor made by Denso. It may be Thailand one) then replace valve with new one. Didnt change condenser or cooler. At the moment it works fine. Thank you very much @trinity for your great help.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GL86 said:

Thanks everyone for your replies and its very helpful to me. I went to the Himara Engineering and Mr Palitha did complete job for 84K. He replaced compressor with brand new compressor (he show me new compressor made by Denso. It may be Thailand one) then replace valve with new one. Didnt change condenser or cooler. At the moment it works fine. Thank you very much @trinity for your great help.

Pleasure  to be of an assistance ?, and really glad to hear that all is ok. Anyways this 141 AC issue is a real pain in the ass isn’t it? That much of money for the repair and things people suggest to do as low cost solutions... just baffling.

Just to give you a perspective, a Japanese imported used AC compressor for the Lancer CS cost me just 8K... Total repair 15k and that’s it. 

On 6/18/2020 at 6:31 AM, trinity said:

Pleasure  to be of an assistance ?, and really glad to hear that all is ok. Anyways this 141 AC issue is a real pain in the ass isn’t it? That much of money for the repair and things people suggest to do as low cost solutions... just baffling.

Just to give you a perspective, a Japanese imported used AC compressor for the Lancer CS cost me just 8K... Total repair 15k and that’s it. 

Thanks again @trinity Yes it cost too much. I dont know why things are more expensive in here since they are available in online sites like AliExpress for much cheaper price. Even Axio AC compressors are in similar price range in SL (Axio is JDM version so should available plenty of spare parts for Axio) ?. Its good to hear Mitsubishi AC compressors are much cheaper than Toyota ones.