• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Want to buy a car around 1.5 milion

rathnayake

Question

Hello Experts,

I am new to here, and i never had a car. I just want to get some opinion and suggestions from you, to buy a car. I have already check some cars on ######.lk. I selected some models, nissan fb14, mazda familir, nissan presea, toyota sounua, 110 toyota, perguat 406 etc. I can  only spend around 1.5 million and not more than 1.6.  could you please suggest met what should i buy. Furthermore, I want a car that can do at least 10km/l. My most interested car is perguat 406 but i have hard that it parts are difficult to find in Kandy area.??   

Thank you  

3 hours ago, rathnayake said:

could you please suggest met what should i buy. Furthermore, I want a car that can do at least 10km/l. My most interested car is perguat 406 but i have hard that it parts are difficult to find in Kandy area.??   

Thank you  

Welcome to the forums.

Don't buy any Europeans (volvo, Peugeot, etc) as your first car, and that too in kandy. 

The 406 is a reliable car but it does have electronic issues from time to time due to its age. Parts are almost no where to be found in kandy, but you can order them through courier from Ratnapura/Colombo area, plenty of shops that specialize in pugs.

Fuel economy, comfort and handling wise it's really good. But as you are in kandy, the only place you can go to for major repairs and servicing is CarMart but of course they will most probably suck your wallet dry. As they need special tools to be worked on, you can't take it to the average mechanic as he might wreck havoc on the car. If you want cheaper maintenance, you have to venture all the way to Colombo, if you're fine with that. The service intervals are longer than a Japanese so if you get all the repairs done in one shot and spend alot of bucks, you can drive peacefully for a long time. 

There are some decent cars in that budget but the problem is finding one in good condition. Alot of molested and abused money pits. If you can, go for a FB14, Wingroad/Ad Wagon (they have shared parts) or even a Toyota Starlet EP82, which is a very agile and economical car with parts being cheap and readily available almost anywhere. 

Get the car inspected professionally at a service center, check the suspension and frame for any bad repairs or broken components. If the Year of Manufacture (YOM) is after 1995 get an OBD2 scan done, won't cost you more than 1500 - 2000/- for the whole ordeal but will save you alot of trouble. 

Finally, find any weak points/places of repair and negotiate the price accordingly. Take a friend who is well versed on cars or even a known mechanic with you. There is a guide in this forum on how to inspect a used car, read that too. 

Best of luck. 

Edited by AVANTE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rathnayake said:

Hello Experts,

I am new to here, and i never had a car. I just want to get some opinion and suggestions from you, to buy a car. I have already check some cars on ######.lk. I selected some models, nissan fb14, mazda familir, nissan presea, toyota sounua, 110 toyota, perguat 406 etc. I can  only spend around 1.5 million and not more than 1.6.  could you please suggest met what should i buy. Furthermore, I want a car that can do at least 10km/l. My most interested car is perguat 406 but i have hard that it parts are difficult to find in Kandy area.??   

Thank you  

@rathnayake our resident Peugeot expert is @harshansenadhir

Given the age of the car and how most uncared for uncommon cars in that price bracket end up I would personally avoid any European car as @AVANTE mentioned

How about a Mitsubishi Lancer CK or a Nissan Bluebird or Primera?

I know fuel efficiency is important but don't make your decision purely on that because picking the wrong car (i.e an unreliable one or one which is costly to maintain or repair) will eat into any fuel savings thus leaving you at a net loss

Given that most cars in your budget will be nearly 20-25 years old with over 200,000 kms on the clock (in reality irrespective of what the odometers may been clocked down to!) i think you should leave more than 100,000 as a repair budget. 

General maintenance like a battery, tires, filters or normal wear and tear items like suspension bushes, shock absorbers or big ticket items like a timing belt, clutch, AC compressor etc will all add up so do consider leaving a bigger margin for repairs.

5 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Welcome to the forums.

Don't buy any Europeans (volvo, Peugeot, etc) as your first car, and that too in kandy. 

The 406 is a reliable car but it does have electronic issues from time to time due to its age. Parts are almost no where to be found in kandy, but you can order them through courier from Ratnapura/Colombo area, plenty of shops that specialize in pugs.

Fuel economy, comfort and handling wise it's really good. But as you are in kandy, the only place you can go to for major repairs and servicing is CarMart but of course they will most probably suck your wallet dry. As they need special tools to be worked on, you can't take it to the average mechanic as he might wreck havoc on the car. If you want cheaper maintenance, you have to venture all the way to Colombo, if you're fine with that. The service intervals are longer than a Japanese so if you get all the repairs done in one shot and spend alot of bucks, you can drive peacefully for a long time. 

There are some decent cars in that budget but the problem is finding one in good condition. Alot of molested and abused money pits. If you can, go for a FB14, Wingroad/Ad Wagon (they have shared parts) or even a Toyota Starlet EP82, which is a very agile and economical car with parts being cheap and readily available almost anywhere. 

Get the car inspected professionally at a service center, check the suspension and frame for any bad repairs or broken components. If the Year of Manufacture (YOM) is after 1995 get an OBD2 scan done, won't cost you more than 1500 - 2000/- for the whole ordeal but will save you alot of trouble. 

Finally, find any weak points/places of repair and negotiate the price accordingly. Take a friend who is well versed on cars or even a known mechanic with you. There is a guide in this forum on how to inspect a used car, read that too. 

Best of luck. 

I am really appreciate your reply. Could you please explain, is there any difference between wingroad  and Ad wagon?? I have a friend who do a repire shop there fore i can take him for inspection. Another thing i want to know is, what is the best option either manual or automatic transmission, however i never drive a care after driving school.     

18 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

Given the age of the car and how most uncared for uncommon cars in that price bracket end up I would personally avoid any European car as @AVANTE mentioned

I know fuel efficiency is important but don't make your decision purely on that because picking the wrong car (i.e an unreliable one or one which is costly to maintain or repair) will eat into any fuel savings thus leaving you at a net loss

Given that most cars in your budget will be nearly 20-25 years old with over 200,000 kms on the clock (in reality irrespective of what the odometers may been clocked down to!) i think you should leave more than 100,000 as a repair budget. 

General maintenance like a battery, tires, filters or normal wear and tear items like suspension bushes, shock absorbers or big ticket items like a timing belt, clutch, AC compressor etc will all add up so do consider leaving a bigger margin for repairs.

I already think about nissan cefiro,  but many peoples said that it only give around 6km/l thats why i left it from my thoughts. How about bluebird and primera?? In that 2 models can we find spire parts around Kandy area. 

I know when we buy a used care we should spend some money for repaires, it is ok to me. I just want to know another thing from you, Is that many cars get major engine repairs after complete more than 200,000 km. 

Thank you

12 minutes ago, rathnayake said:

I already think about nissan cefiro,  but many peoples said that it only give around 6km/l thats why i left it from my thoughts. How about bluebird and primera?? In that 2 models can we find spire parts around Kandy area. 

I know when we buy a used care we should spend some money for repaires, it is ok to me. I just want to know another thing from you, Is that many cars get major engine repairs after complete more than 200,000 km. 

Thank you

Depends entirely on the car,  and how it has been used as well as maintained @rathnayake

I have used cars with over 200,000 mileage but where the owners have used good quality engine oil and done the services on time (with records!) - i faced no engine issues 

You can get a compression test done before purchase just to be sure - if the engine is under-compressed you will need to budget for rebuild, or at least new piston rings & gasket if the rest is fine

The Cefiro is a comfortable car but fuel has always been an issue - given that you live up country it will be nice to have the pulling power of the 2 litre engine but the fact that it's an automatic will hurt economy

Most of the Bluebirds around are the 1.8L petrols but with manual gearboxes. The Bluebird Le Grand diesels were used for tourism and brough on permits initially so would have clocked up high mileage by now. Those were very economical but noisy.

The Primera on second thought lets drop because fuel efficiency isn't it's strenght - 1.8L & 2L SR engines were nice to drive but will return less than 10 kmpl

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rathnayake said:

I am really appreciate your reply. Could you please explain, is there any difference between wingroad  and Ad wagon?? I have a friend who do a repire shop there fore i can take him for inspection. Another thing i want to know is, what is the best option either manual or automatic transmission, however i never drive a care after driving school.     

The differences are design, a few mechanical aspects and the available engine options when they were sold brand new. The wingroad is meant to be more passenger oriented (more comfortable and more available features), while the Ad wagons look tough and basic.

The wingroad has slightly better resale and if possible, try to find a manual though automatics seem to be the most common. The manual has better fuel economy, more fun to drive and costs less than the automatic to buy (as far as I've noticed). Wingroads after 2002 never came with a manual.

Also don't worry, have a friend to be with you when you're driving. Just have a sense of responsibility and take a few steps at a time. Focus your interest and attention on driving and it will be easy. 

Edited by AVANTE
Typo

Ad wagon is basic. 1500cc engine. Does good on petrol. Not underpowered either. touches 150 without a fuss. Has badic creature comforts. Seats are super unsupportive. They will give you a spine ache for sure. Get the seats changed if you buy one. My brother actually had to get ayurveda treatment for the backnafter one year of use. Not thaaat comfy either. Specially in the back. But lots of space and good hauler.

Wingroad is mostly same. More features,more comfier. 1800cc engine. Thirsty on petrol(7ish city).  Smoother as well. The wingroad is like a more premium ad wagon.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, rathnayake said:

I selected some models, nissan fb14, mazda familir, nissan presea, toyota sounua, 110 toyota, perguat 406 etc.

Your budget category presents some really interesting options : Of your choices as @AVANTE and @Devinda_Z correctly mentioned the 406 might not be the best option (but dear lord that's one sweet car from the 90's) the FB14, and 110 will be the 'sensible' options but those two cars in particular are prone to be used by users who tend to go el-cheapo on maintenance and end up mucking the cars. 

The Soluna will be a relatively newer car. I might suggest the Familia/323 out of the lot though I don't know exactly how the spare-part availability is in Kandy - we had a couple of Mazda 323's in the office that were routinely abused but still refused to break-down and kept running and running and running.  The Presea is a slightly left-field choice but not a bad one ... it has the same internals of a FB14 but looks a bit cooler. 

22 hours ago, rathnayake said:

Interesting question - it would be good if you actually got used to a manual. Manuals will be cheaper too - in my personal opinion diesel manuals are easier to drive ( more forgiving - if your clutch balancing isn't up to the mark the diesel will be a little reasonable and not stall unlike the fussy petrol) 

The AD wagon : The Y11 will be a little beyond your budget (so is the same generation Wingroad) the Y10 AD is a very uncomfortable machine (trust me I've traveled a lot in one ) but a good choice if you regularly haul stuff the car is cheap (saw  300- Y10 with Automatic transmission up for sale for 12.5) - these cars were used as delivery vehicles in Japan (van) the wingroad is more expensive and a more refined car. The Avenir is the diesel counterpart of the same timeline. 

The Nissan Cefiro is a lovely car (used to drive my uncles cefiro quite a bit and loved it ) plenty of power and comfort but yes it is quite thirsty. 

22 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Most of the Bluebirds around are the 1.8L petrols but with manual gearboxes. The Bluebird Le Grand diesels were used for tourism and brough on permits initially so would have clocked up high mileage by now. Those were very economical but noisy.

The Primera on second thought lets drop because fuel efficiency isn't it's strenght - 1.8L & 2L SR engines were nice to drive but will return less than 10 kmpl

I have only once albeit briefly driven a diesel Bluebird (and that too long ago when I was just out of school or so) - but for some reason it had a lorry vibe to it.   The Primera is a really nice car - if OP can  find a good specimen I'd say go for it since with cars this age fuel figures are not reliable and may vary from model to model and despite popular perception even the 'frugal' cars like FB14 never really achieve anything above 7-8 KMPL. 

I suggest you check out a few cars and figure out what actually rocks your boat. Also keep in mind that with cars of this vintage you have to keep some cash in hand for repairs. Our friend @PreseaLover had a hideous experience with a Cefiro a while back despite taking all possible precautions. 

If you're ok with hatches here are a couple of suggestions off the top of my head both of these cars are very common and you will not have  part-sourcing nightmares. 

K11 March - bland little cars that drink up fuel but you wouldn't have too many nightmares maintaining. 2 Door models are waay cheaper. 

Starlet EP82 : Overpriced since these cars are now mostly bought for conversions. But spare parts will not  be a problem as there are thousands of these around. The 4EFE engine is one of the most common and easiest to work with, spares-a-plenty and interchangeable. Infinite customizing potential in case you ever get that idea.

[EDIT]  Saw a few EP82s for around 1.3 -1.4 that would give you a nice little buffer for potential repairs  Also consider the Corolla 2/Tercel  (Engine would be the same as Starlet) 

Edited by matroska
Starlet Prices, Corolla 2
  • Like 2

The guys above have have generally covered the Ad wagon VS Wingroad well. So I won't go into details other than:

Ad wagon- Intended use = Commercial deliveries- Has a basic setup and has leaf suspension in the rear. 

Wingroad - Intended use = Passenger vehicle based on the above, so has passenger comfort in mind, has coil springs in the rear

Overally I think both are decent vehicles and do what they are designed for well. If you want one as a family vehicle then the Wingroad is the model to get, although lots of AD Wagons are also used a family cars in SL with little fuss, just like the Corolla E100 wagon (known as the 'Toyota Elephant back' wagon in SL. 

Edited by Kavvz

On 6/6/2020 at 9:08 PM, Devinda_Z said:

Thank you for your explanaton.

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

The guys above have have generally covered the Ad wagon VS Wingroad well. So I won't go into details other than:

Ad wagon- Intended use = Commercial deliveries- Has a basic setup and has leaf suspension in the rear. 

Wingroad - Intended use = Passenger vehicle based on the above, so has passenger comfort in mind, has coil springs in the rear

Overally I think both are decent vehicles and do what they are designed for well. If you want one as a family vehicle then the Wingroad is the model to get, although lots of AD Wagons are also used a family cars in SL with little fuss, just like the Corolla E100 wagon (known as the 'Toyota Elephant back' wagon in SL. 

Yes, I am interested in wingroad. thank you for your explanation 

2 hours ago, matroska said:

Your budget category presents some really interesting options : Of your choices as @AVANTE and @Devinda_Z correctly mentioned the 406 might not be the best option (but dear lord that's one sweet car from the 90's) the FB14, and 110 will be the 'sensible' options but those two cars in particular are prone to be used by users who tend to go el-cheapo on maintenance and end up mucking the cars. 

The Soluna will be a relatively newer car. I might suggest the Familia/323 out of the lot though I don't know exactly how the spare-part availability is in Kandy - we had a couple of Mazda 323's in the office that were routinely abused but still refused to break-down and kept running and running and running.  The Presea is a slightly left-field choice but not a bad one ... it has the same internals of a FB14 but looks a bit cooler. 

Interesting question - it would be good if you actually got used to a manual. Manuals will be cheaper too - in my personal opinion diesel manuals are easier to drive ( more forgiving - if your clutch balancing isn't up to the mark the diesel will be a little reasonable and not stall unlike the fussy petrol) 

The AD wagon : The Y11 will be a little beyond your budget (so is the same generation Wingroad) the Y10 AD is a very uncomfortable machine (trust me I've traveled a lot in one ) but a good choice if you regularly haul stuff the car is cheap (saw  300- Y10 with Automatic transmission up for sale for 12.5) - these cars were used as delivery vehicles in Japan (van) the wingroad is more expensive and a more refined car. The Avenir is the diesel counterpart of the same timeline. 

The Nissan Cefiro is a lovely car (used to drive my uncles cefiro quite a bit and loved it ) plenty of power and comfort but yes it is quite thirsty. 

I have only once albeit briefly driven a diesel Bluebird (and that too long ago when I was just out of school or so) - but for some reason it had a lorry vibe to it.   The Primera is a really nice car - if OP can  find a good specimen I'd say go for it since with cars this age fuel figures are not reliable and may vary from model to model and despite popular perception even the 'frugal' cars like FB14 never really achieve anything above 7-8 KMPL. 

I suggest you check out a few cars and figure out what actually rocks your boat. Also keep in mind that with cars of this vintage you have to keep some cash in hand for repairs. Our friend @PreseaLover had a hideous experience with a Cefiro a while back despite taking all possible precautions. 

If you're ok with hatches here are a couple of suggestions off the top of my head both of these cars are very common and you will not have  part-sourcing nightmares. 

K11 March - bland little cars that drink up fuel but you wouldn't have too many nightmares maintaining. 2 Door models are waay cheaper. 

Starlet EP82 : Overpriced since these cars are now mostly bought for conversions. But spare parts will not  be a problem as there are thousands of these around. The 4EFE engine is one of the most common and easiest to work with, spares-a-plenty and interchangeable. Infinite customizing potential in case you ever get that idea.

[EDIT]  Saw a few EP82s for around 1.3 -1.4 that would give you a nice little buffer for potential repairs  Also consider the Corolla 2/Tercel  (Engine would be the same as Starlet) 

I will check about tercel and corolla 2. Thank you for the great explanation.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:00 PM, matroska said:

@matroska it's the diesel rattle - the SU14's sounded like tractors. Nissan clearly didn't have any NVH standards when they made that diesel Bluebird lol

As for the 406, such an elegant design for a mainstream car - the coupe was designed by Pininfarina! :o

The other car from the 90's that I have massive soft spot for purely in terms of looks is the Alfa Romeo 156 :)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 12:41 AM, Devinda_Z said:

The other car from the 90's that I have massive soft spot for purely in terms of looks is the Alfa Romeo 156

Alfa's were waaay ahead of their times in terms of looks I remember seeing a newspaper advert for the 156 as a kid and being awestruck. Sadly though due to their really low prices Alfa's have fallen into wrong hands now and I was once sad to see an advert for a 156 rotting away a year or so ago. 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:41 AM, Devinda_Z said:

@matroska it's the diesel rattle - the SU14's sounded like tractors. Nissan clearly didn't have any NVH standards when they made that diesel Bluebird lol

As for the 406, such an elegant design for a mainstream car - the coupe was designed by Pininfarina! :o

The other car from the 90's that I have massive soft spot for purely in terms of looks is the Alfa Romeo 156 :)

A handful of Peugeots were done up by Pininfarina, this includes the 504 and its cabrio variant, 403 and the popular 505, which (dare I say it) looks good but nothing special. Quite a bragging right to have family cars from the same design house as Ferrari. 

How many 156s do you reckon we have here? 

15 hours ago, AVANTE said:

How many 156s do you reckon we have here? 

interesting question - at least this much 

P.S: for copyright purposes this was an image i had saved a while back from a post in the Italian car enthusiasts group just to ogle at time to time so I don't know exactly who to give credit to.

No photo description available.

Edited by matroska
copyright stuff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, matroska said:

interesting question - at least this much 

No photo description available.

I think my porn quota for the day just got fulfilled!:D

(And those rims on the red Alfa (300-6673)  are just perfect for the car. It would look flashy on anything else; but on that car- Brilliant! Are those standard or aftermarket?) 

Edited by Kavvz

I think my porn quota for the day just got fulfilled![emoji3]
(And those rims on the red Alfa (300-6673)  are just perfect for the car. It would look flashy on anything else; but on that car- Brilliant! Are those standard or aftermarket?) 
What is this car model.??

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

4 hours ago, matroska said:

Alfa's were waaay ahead of their times in terms of looks I remember seeing a newspaper advert for the 156 as a kid and being awestruck. Sadly though due to their really low prices Alfa's have fallen into wrong hands now and I was once sad to see an advert for a 156 rotting away a year or so ago. 

@matroska one of those which was rotting with a Nissan engine (post Tsunami damage I think) was restored by an enthusiast or so i've heard 

1 hour ago, rathnayake said:

What is this car model.??

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

@Ratnayake these are Italian made Alfa Romeo 156's 

Gorgeous looking exterior styles by Giugiaro and equally nice interior too with the leather trim done by MOMO!

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/AlfaRomeo_156-156Sportwagon_1999-III_Brochure_200402.pdf

Even the engines looked pretty

Alfa 156 2.0 T/S Supercharged 230 BHP

Shame the only V6's here were on the 164 (& possibly the ex Italian embassy 166?)

3.2 litre V6 engine from Alfa 156 GTA (With images) | Alfa romeo ...

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

I think my porn quota for the day just got fulfilled!:D

@Kavvz it's a pre-facelift number with a full conversion kit i believe. Smart looking car either way ? 

Personally i'm partial to the teledial rims - the GTA ones or even the small ones

Alfa156GTA.jpg?format=1500w

Gazza82's 1998 Alfa Romeo 156 TSpark 2.0

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@Kavvz it's a pre-facelift number with a full conversion kit i believe. Smart looking car either way ? 

Personally i'm partial to the teledial rims - the GTA ones or even the small ones

Alfa156GTA.jpg?format=1500w

Ah yes. Those look really nice as well!  

I kinda like the muti-spokes more myself, but its probably just because I'm partial towards Alpina's with their beautiful multi-spoke wheels. I've always loved them. 

Edited by Kavvz

13 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I think my porn quota for the day just got fulfilled!

hahah yes - this image is actually something i had saved from a post in a group to stare at time to time so it's like one of those favorite porno's you keep for future reference :D 

11 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

it's a pre-facelift number with a full conversion kit

yeah has to be - when did the facelift come ? 2002 or later isn't it?

BTW @Devinda_Z - there's a 156 for sale on the quick site (only Alfa for sale on that site ) pre-facelift with teledial rims 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1