• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any experience on domestic tube wells

GK_007

Hi everyone, 

Thought of drilling a tubewell in my house. Has anyone done that? 

Highly appreciate if someone can help me with following, 

1-How much is the cost involved.

2-Do we have to provide the electric pump,   is it some sort of a submerged pump or a normal pump.

3-How is the longivity of these wells,  do they need regular maintenance etc? 

4-Anyone can recommend me a good provider of this service? 

Thank you in advance

5 hours ago, GK_007 said:

Hi everyone, 

Thought of drilling a tubewell in my house. Has anyone done that? 

Highly appreciate if someone can help me with following, 

1-How much is the cost involved.

2-Do we have to provide the electric pump,   is it some sort of a submerged pump or a normal pump.

3-How is the longivity of these wells,  do they need regular maintenance etc? 

4-Anyone can recommend me a good provider of this service? 

Thank you in advance

Have you studied about the Quality of Water if you are using for drinking?

1 - Usual cost is Rs1000 per feet + cost of PVC pipes, depth of the well depends on how deep the ground water table at your area

2 - Regular pump cannot pull water from a well deeper than ~30ft. You will need a submersible pump ( costs ~35K  )

- I drilled a 175ft well few months back and total cost was about 250K including cost of pump and piping 

3 - No maintenance as far as pump is reliable

At least in Colombo area, deep well water is not suitable for drinking due to ground water table contamination. Also, deep well water is high in minerals (hard water) as water is sitting inside bedrock layer. So you may need to get a good water filter to make water suitable for drinking 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tux said:

1 - Usual cost is Rs1000 per feet + cost of PVC pipes, depth of the well depends on how deep the ground water table at your area

2 - Regular pump cannot pull water from a well deeper than ~30ft. You will need a submersible pump ( costs ~35K  )

- I drilled a 175ft well few months back and total cost was about 250K including cost of pump and piping 

3 - No maintenance as far as pump is reliable

At least in Colombo area, deep well water is not suitable for drinking due to ground water table contamination. Also, deep well water is high in minerals (hard water) as water is sitting inside bedrock layer. So you may need to get a good water filter to make water suitable for drinking

Thanks heaps, do we have to get approval from water board before drilling?  

4 hours ago, gayanath said:

Have you studied about the Quality of Water if you are using for drinking?

No I haven't, I was on the thought the ground water from a deep well is better than pipe born water. Just my hypotheses, I may be wrong it might need to be tested as well to confirm. 

On 6/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, GK_007 said:

No I haven't, I was on the thought the ground water from a deep well is better than pipe born water. Just my hypotheses, I may be wrong it might need to be tested as well to confirm. 

@GK_007 if you don't mind the question, which part of the island are planning on digging/drilling the well in?