• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Aqua hybrid battery replacement

Hello guys ,

I'm having an issue with the hybrid battery of my Aqua 2012. According to the scan report battery needs to be replaced, and technician does not recommend to replace the cells. I'm thinking of replacing with a reconditioned battery preferably 2017 made. 

I would appreciate if you can share any reliable place to do so. Further, very much like your advices on the matter. Is the technician correct ?  What would be the price range ? Any side effects in replacing with a uses battery..?

Thanks guys.

Screenshot_20200601_215642.jpg

1 hour ago, Devinda_Z said:

That's not too bad if it comes with a proper warranty and includes installation as well right?

Indeed,  not bad at all. When you compare with the money we spend on mobile phones,  Cameras and other gadgets these days. :) As I remember they also had an easy payment scheme for credit cards as well. 

2 hours ago, GK_007 said:

Indeed,  not bad at all. When you compare with the money we spend on mobile phones,  Cameras and other gadgets these days. :) As I remember they also had an easy payment scheme for credit cards as well. 

Indeed, its always better to skip local joints, guys (as advertised above), as these people are just after grabbing some quick money and then forget the customer. If the agent provides the service, always its better to go to them as the market is full of counterfeits and cheap jobs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vitz said:

Indeed, its always better to skip local joints, guys (as advertised above), as these people are just after grabbing some quick money and then forget the customer. If the agent provides the service, always its better to go to them as the market is full of counterfeits and cheap jobs.

Yup, peace of mind for sure and the added benefit come re-sale time!

3 hours ago, GK_007 said:

@GK_007 absolutely a new flagship mobile phone and laptop will cost you the same and last a lot less longer ?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 6:45 PM, S.Rajitha said:

According to the scan report battery needs to be replaced, and technician does not recommend to replace the cells

Good decision if you don't plan to sell soon. Differently aged cells with different capacity will not be optimal and provide less power.   What is current age, mileage?

Guys, Don't you feel this is a Guerrilla marketing, where one guy is posting a question and same one provides the answer with marketing component!!!

Anyways, its up to mods....

Edited by vitz
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, vitz said:

Guys, Don't you feel this is a Guerrilla marketing, where one guy is posting a question and same one provides the answer with marketing component!!!

Seems yes...

Both Newbies, single post count, same pattern of name, .... ??

3 hours ago, vitz said:

Anyways, its up to mods....

I see, seems yes.

3 hours ago, gayanath said:

Seems yes...

Both Newbies, single post count, same pattern of name, .... ??

Good pick up :)

Hello guys ,

Thankyou all for your feed back.

About this guerrilla marketing thing, I assure you it's not. I'm just a new member here who couldn't figure out what to do.With your valuable comments I will figure out what to do.

I plan to sell this car within a year. Milage is 92,000 KM. Currently the AQUA prices are going very low. Again thanks for your comments and I assure you no guerrilla marketing.?

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 6:28 PM, S.Rajitha said:

I plan to sell this car within a year.

then why not go for Cell replacement instead of Complete Battery?

On 6/3/2020 at 6:28 PM, S.Rajitha said:

Currently the AQUA prices are going very low.

they will be lower when you sell it after one year.People are getting to know the hard truth about "fuel savings" and additional Hybrid costs with Prius,Aqua, Fit.

Edited by vag2

3 hours ago, vag2 said:

then why not go for Cell replacement instead of Complete Battery?

they will be lower when you sell it after one year.People are getting to know the hard truth about "fuel savings" and additional Hybrid costs with Prius,Aqua, Fit.

@S.Rajitha how much do the Aqua do in reality on fuel kmpl wise in bad Colombo traffic & on the highway? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 6:19 PM, Devinda_Z said:

how much do the Aqua do in reality on fuel kmpl wise in bad Colombo traffic & on the highway? 

14.1 KMPL if ur stuck in wellawatte traffic peak time, sometimes less.  Highway it indicates close to 26KMPL- 29 sometimes but never done a full tank to empty tank measure to properly tell. 

Bigger issue is all the savings go away when u go to service the damn thing. Any center takes one look and prices it differently than a petrol car, add that to the hybrid battery report, the expensive lubricants and oils and ur pockets are soon empty. Plus the car has a low ride height so u gotta be extra careful loading stuff and people in the back seat. 

Good car if u want to keep it forever and drive close to 100KM a day, else if u wanna switch cars every few years and barely drive around the city ur better off with a petrol car with start stop function or if u can push it, an Axio. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:49 PM, Devinda_Z said:

how much do the Aqua do in reality on fuel kmpl wise in bad Colombo traffic & on the highway? 

According to perfectly measured data, It varies between,

13 - 16 km/l on heavy Colombo traffic.

16 - 20 km/l in city moderate to low traffic

20 - 22 km/l if you harsh driving in outstation (lets assume Anuradhapura or Hambamthota)

24 - 28 km/l if you carefully driving in outstation (lets assume Anuradhapura or Hambamthota) (Speed 60 - 80 km/h). 

29 - 32 km/l at the speed of 70 - 75 km/h in Expressway 

24+ km/l at the speed of 100 km/h in the Expressway (Southern highway)

22 - 23 km/l at the speed of 110 - 115 km/h  in the Expressway (Southern highway)

I live in Colombo and going Matara once or twice a month. For entire 84,000 km I used the last few years, the average fuel consumption is 18.02 km/l (as perfectly calculated by distance traveled / actual fuel pumped ). ** majority of my Colombo usage is short trips.

When comparing with my previous car (1000 cc Vitz 2007) it's average was 12.00 km/l for 72,000 km usage. So its 50% increase for me. 

Edited by gayanath
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gayanath said:

20 - 22 km/l if you harsh driving in outstation (lets assume Anuradhapura or Hambamthota)

24 - 28 km/l if you carefully driving in outstation (lets assume Anuradhapura or Hambamthota) (Speed 60 - 80 km/h). 

22 - 23 km/l at the speed of 110 - 115 km/h  in the Expressway (Southern highway)

I live in Colombo and going Matara once or twice a month. For entire 84,000 km I used the last few years, the average fuel consumption is 18.02 km/l (as perfectly calculated by actual fuel pumped / distance traveled). ** majority of my Colombo usage is short trips.

When comparing with my previous car (1000 cc Vitz 2007) it's average was 12.00 km/l for 72,000 km usage. So its 50% increase for me. 

That's impressive! Last time I checked my fuel economy I cried?

15 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Bigger issue is all the savings go away when u go to service the damn thing. Any center takes one look and prices it differently than a petrol car, add that to the hybrid battery report, the expensive lubricants and oils and ur pockets are soon empty. 

This is another myth. 

As an Aqua user, I would say that this is one of a cheapest car to maintain if you are not doing unnecessary and unwanted things.  Dealing with service station people is also an Art....??

Engine - I do around 9,000 km per six months so, regular oil and filter replacement is by 9,000 km with Toyota oil and Toyota/VIC filter (VIC filter would cost Rs. 1,100). Going to a normal service station will will save a lot. The Engine is running half of the time so Air Filter could used around 50,000 km without harm. Replacement labor cost would be Rs. 800 in Laugfs . 

Under washing - Only once per year (no point of under washing in every service)

Hybrid battery report - I never let them to plug scanner because it gives us nothing. Do battery report extend your battery lifetime?? ??For HV battery, the only thing I do is cleaning the air inlet once a year (DIY) and I cleaned the air duct and blower only once after 4 years (DIY)

12v Battery - Its bit expensive but it will payoff by extended duration 

Transaxle - Cheap to maintain than ordinary AT.

Other hybrid components - No maintenance. ** Fortunately my HV battery is still good (however, the amount needed for replacement already saved by Fuel) and ABS is still good too. 

Statistics, 

Fuel cost - Rs. 7.04 per km

Service & Maintenance and other Costs - Rs. 3.87 per km (Everything including tires. * Even a tire punch)

Revenue License and Insurance - Rs. 3.17  per km

Irrespective of the model of the car, you will ended up with huge maintenance cost if you are not going to correct place.  

Edited by gayanath
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gayanath said:

I live in Colombo and going Matara once or twice a month. For entire 84,000 km I used the last few years, the average fuel consumption is 18.02 km/l (as perfectly calculated by distance traveled / actual fuel pumped ). ** majority of my Colombo usage is short trips.

@gayanath very informative - i applaud your meticulous record keeping ? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@gayanath very informative - i applaud your meticulous record keeping ? 

ikr ? I am shocked and somewhat disappointed that he has not defined the parameters for harsh driving. What were the rates of acceleration and deceleration ? What kind of G-forces are we looking at in terms of turns ? :D 

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah..the air-filter....I think average life span of one is typically around 40,000km but would change drastically depending on how and where you use it. I know off-roaders who have to change their filters every 10-20K.

As for under carriage wash....what is the big deal with under carriage washes in SL ? Is it that costly and that much of a big deal to lift the car up and spray water on it ? Do it regularly enough you don't even have to hoist the thing up to clean it extensively. Heck I do it at home !!! I think the whole under carriage washing mentality of the service stations come from the old practice of putting the car up and spraying those weird oils in the under carriage. Something which does not need to be done on modern cars (in fact those oils were a huge cause of concern by itself). But yeah....I also would say don't wait for one year o get the under carriage washed. Especially if you drive on muddy roads and stuff...

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Yeah..the air-filter....I think average life span of one is typically around 40,000km but would change drastically depending on how and where you use it. I know off-roaders who have to change their filters every 10-20K.

As for under carriage wash....what is the big deal with under carriage washes in SL ? Is it that costly and that much of a big deal to lift the car up and spray water on it ? Do it regularly enough you don't even have to hoist the thing up to clean it extensively. Heck I do it at home !!! I think the whole under carriage washing mentality of the service stations come from the old practice of putting the car up and spraying those weird oils in the under carriage. Something which does not need to be done on modern cars (in fact those oils were a huge cause of concern by itself). But yeah....I also would say don't wait for one year o get the under carriage washed. Especially if you drive on muddy roads and stuff...

Irage, do Air filters last that long? I have to usually change mine around 15000 or so and whatever I had to put Ive put it from the agents. Expensive I know but gives me peace of mind. 

I'm amazed Gayanath's car still runs. If you don't clean the HV battery blower in time (around 5000 kms that is) the whole car will start giving trouble. Pulling power tends to reduce, the car revs more than usual and the fuel consumption goes down drastically. Even if you don't change the oil in time (5000) things kind of tend to go a bit offhand. Dunno...maybe the aqua is different.