• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

JDM future classics

john cooper

Hope all of you doing good after lockdown!!

After the pandemic, few cars start coming out of some of storage and collections so thought of spending/ investing money not a lot but about $10k.

I was looking for a few “future classics” and I have drafted the below list during the lockdown.

The list I have made as below,

Corolla FX GT/ GT- I 16 (AE92) (Missed a GT-I 16 during the lockdown ?)

AE92 Levin –

Mazda MX5 – NA specifically YOM 1990

Mazda Familia GTX

Nissan Pulsar GTIR

Celica SS-III

206 GTI 180 - Not JDM lol

CK4 Lancer MR

I have managed to score a bonus this weekend, I went to check MX5 and found Del Sol so I bought both for a good deal.

Mazda MX-5 R2 Limited, only 500 were made.

Honda CRX SIR – 97 NZ New B16A2

I have paid top $ for MX-5 since it is a special edition, so owner aware about that but I got a real bargain for the CRX.

Works needed:

MX-5 – Roof need to replace, cam lifers noisy, valve rubbers need to replace since it had done about 220,000KM

CRX – Need to respray, F/R shock need replace, F/R lower arm bush need replace, F/L CV boots need replace, Cambelt kit needs to replace.

Have a look at my above list and tell me what is your idea about the list, have a look at the cars and tell me what you think.

P.S. MX-5 in transit will add more photos once soon

image7.JPG

image6.JPG

image1 (2).JPG

image5.JPG

image4.JPG

image2 (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally!!!  An interesting thread.!!!   :D

And Congrats on the purchase.!

Just my two cents worth : 

CRX / Del Sol 

Personally not a fan of the design, I`d rather a 1st gen. Never driven one though, so dont know how they are like to drive. 

But the B16 is the party piece in there, should be a nice reliable little screamer once sorted properly. Those wheels does not look original though?  Something like Enkei RPF1`s would look great, nice and light and easy to find.  ;) 

Mx-5

This is right up my ally!! Great buy! The best-bang-for-the-buck sports are ever!  I mean, a properly/purposefully designed sports car with double wishbone suspension in all 4 corners.!

Mazda pumped out 'special edition' Mx-5`s whenever they felt like it, so I wonder what exact features this one is having?  Is this an NA6 (1.6 ltr) or NA8 (1.8 ltr)? And the year? 

• Like 1

I am confussed...what exactly does future classic mean ? Even a Corolla KE30 is a sought after JDM classic so that means even your average E100 wil be sought after sometime...so...what exactly are the criteria ?

2 hours ago, iRage said:

I am confussed...what exactly does future classic mean ? Even a Corolla KE30 is a sought after JDM classic so that means even your average E100 wil be sought after sometime...so...what exactly are the criteria ?

Good point!!

It is about the "low volume" vehicle still accessible to the public with less money so Skyline GTR's won't qualify to "my" selection as the price already over $40k but for sure they are classics that everyone appreciate.

regards,

JC

16 hours ago, MrCat said:

Finally!!!  An interesting thread.!!!   :D

And Congrats on the purchase.!

Just my two cents worth : 

CRX / Del Sol 

Personally not a fan of the design, I`d rather a 1st gen. Never driven one though, so dont know how they are like to drive. 

But the B16 is the party piece in there, should be a nice reliable little screamer once sorted properly. Those wheels does not look original though?  Something like Enkei RPF1`s would look great, nice and light and easy to find.  ;) 

Mx-5

This is right up my ally!! Great buy! The best-bang-for-the-buck sports are ever!  I mean, a properly/purposefully designed sports car with double wishbone suspension in all 4 corners.!

Mazda pumped out 'special edition' Mx-5`s whenever they felt like it, so I wonder what exact features this one is having?  Is this an NA6 (1.6 ltr) or NA8 (1.8 ltr)? And the year? 

CRX

Wheels set is a aftermarket Advanti but let's see after all the fixes may be a SA15.

MX-5

I have attached a VIN card below and the link should explain much more (but in Japanese) 

https://www.mx5international.com/ressources/ssp/R2_Limited-56

regards

JC

R2-LTD.jpg

Edited by john cooper

7 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@john cooper since you are in New Zealand (right?) perhaps something a little more obscure (but i gather popular over there thanks to the 1993 Colin McRae win at the WRC Rally of New Zealand?!) in the form of a Subaru Legacy RS (RA) BC5 perhaps? 

Yes you are correct, i am in NZ.

Colin was the winner, unable to access any stock 555 Subi anywhere below 20k

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john cooper said:

CRX

Wheels set is a aftermarket Advanti but let's see after all the fixes may be a SA15.

MX-5

I have attached a VIN card below and the link should explain much more (but in Japanese) 

https://www.mx5international.com/ressources/ssp/R2_Limited-56

regards

JC

Sweet!! NA8, the 1.8 is arguably better than the 1.6, so that`s great.  The Torsen LSD should be there as well, another plus-point. Other features seems mostly cosmetic, apart from the Bilstein`s. 

Just to add, i used to have a "VR-Limited Combination B" about 2 years ago. This was also a 96 NA8C -  https://www.mx5international.com/ressources/ssp/VR_Limited_Combination_B-51 

Still miss it  :(

Started a build thread in here , but that didn't live long  :(:  

Edited by MrCat

5 hours ago, john cooper said:

Good point!!

It is about the "low volume" vehicle still accessible to the public with less money so Skyline GTR's won't qualify to "my" selection as the price already over $40k but for sure they are classics that everyone appreciate.

regards,

JC

Aha makes sense now. The off beat fun little things where people have overlooked as they runbehind GT-Rs and Supras; as a result under appreciated and goes at an affordable price....hmm.

In that case....

AE101/AE111 Corolla/Sprinter sedan/touring wagons (GT, BZ Touring)

Celica/Corolla (RunX/Allex)/Fielders with 2ZZ engines

Vitz TRD Turbo variants

(Left out the Chasers and MarkIIs and Mark Xs as they are mainstream now)

Sunny/Pulsar (Sedan/Hatch/Coupe) VZRs

K11/K13 Nismo March

Nissan NX Coupe ?

(Leaving out the Glorias/Laurels/etc..)

If you can find one an Autozam AZ-1 ?

Colt Ralliart or Sport X versions

(Leaving out Galant/Legnum VRs )

Any turbo charged Subaru Vivio, but the one to get if you can find one would be a GX-T. The Vivio even got some STI packages for it.

Suzuki Alto Works

Suzuki Kei Sports

Suzuki Cervo SR (or whatever the sporty Turbo charged variant is called)

Suzuki Swift/Cultus GTi/GXi/GS

THen there is always the Daihatsu Charade :P 

3 hours ago, MrCat said:

Sweet!! NA8, the 1.8 is arguably better than the 1.6, so that`s great.  The Torsen LSD should be there as well, another plus-point. Other features seems mostly cosmetic, apart from the Bilstein`s. 

Last owner (Lady owner) replaced the factory Bilstein's with KYB due to the cost but let's see how things get unfold.

3 hours ago, MrCat said:

Just to add, i used to have a "VR-Limited Combination B" about 2 years ago. This was also a 96 NA8C -  https://www.mx5international.com/ressources/ssp/VR_Limited_Combination_B-51 

Still miss it  :(

Started a build thread in here , but that didn't live long  :(:  

I found a E30 same as your's on the phone, i mean it is the same car but with chrome bumper model, done 270k and need a bottom end replacement as it's noisy. owner asking 5k let's see. :-)

regards,

JC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Aha makes sense now. The off beat fun little things where people have overlooked as they runbehind GT-Rs and Supras; as a result under appreciated and goes at an affordable price....hmm.

In that case....

AE101/AE111 Corolla/Sprinter sedan/touring wagons (GT, BZ Touring)

Celica/Corolla (RunX/Allex)/Fielders with 2ZZ engines

Vitz TRD Turbo variants

(Left out the Chasers and MarkIIs and Mark Xs as they are mainstream now)

Sunny/Pulsar (Sedan/Hatch/Coupe) VZRs

K11/K13 Nismo March

Nissan NX Coupe ?

(Leaving out the Glorias/Laurels/etc..)

If you can find one an Autozam AZ-1 ?

Colt Ralliart or Sport X versions

(Leaving out Galant/Legnum VRs )

Any turbo charged Subaru Vivio, but the one to get if you can find one would be a GX-T. The Vivio even got some STI packages for it.

Suzuki Alto Works

Suzuki Kei Sports

Suzuki Cervo SR (or whatever the sporty Turbo charged variant is called)

Suzuki Swift/Cultus GTi/GXi/GS

THen there is always the Daihatsu Charade :P 

Plenty BZ-G Levin's with black tops, BZ touring Corolla wagons

I have had a Alex Z and a RUNX Z with 2ZZ coupled with 6 speed and again they are not hard to find

NX coupe, really?? :P

Noway of finding a AZ1 and prince for Toyota Sera already gone over 10k

I do have a Colt Ralliart but it's a Plus. lol

Cultus Turbo's also very hard to find.

I use to own a Daihatsu Detomaso and now they are very hard come by.

regards,

JC

16 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Charlie! I had to Google that!
https://rallygroupbshrine.org/the-group-b-cars/group-b-prototypes/daihatsu-detomaso-charade-926r/

The Daihatsu Charade DeTomaso 926R is the Group B car you've neve

J2Jedi 1994 Daihatsu Charade's Photo Gallery at CarDomainW

Was it that or the older one from the link @john cooper?

Yes mate, same model, G201 chassis

I have only got the photo's now ?

On the 2nd photo we were changing the engine mounts (They had a common issue of failing the front engine mount)

image2 (3).JPG

image1 (3).JPG

4X4's

The Series 2 Suzuki Jimny. Those classic lines stood for close to 16 years and the new one has taken design elements from the old.

Sports Cars

Sylvia's / 180SX's (finding an unmolested one would be impossible)

Toyota Celica GT4 (rally legend)

Kei's

Honda S660

Suzuki Alto Works

Mitsubishi Dangan ZZ (5valves per cylinder turbo / supercharged)

Suzuki Cappucino

Mazda AZ1 (the same as above but a better looker)

Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato (anyone who used to watch racing programs in the 90's would remember this little machine taking on Rally GB)

Hatchbacks

Nissan March Super Turbo

Will update when I have sometime

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

4X4's

The Series 2 Suzuki Jimny. Those classic lines stood for close to 16 years and the new one has taken design elements from the old.

Sports Cars

Sylvia's / 180SX's (finding an unmolested one would be impossible)

Toyota Celica GT4 (rally legend)

Kei's

Honda S660

Suzuki Alto Works

Mitsubishi Dangan ZZ (5valves per cylinder turbo / supercharged)

Suzuki Cappucino

Mazda AZ1 (the same as above but a better looker)

Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato (anyone who used to watch racing programs in the 90's would remember this little machine taking on Rally GB)

Hatchbacks

Nissan March Super Turbo

Will update when I have sometime

I do have a Suzuki X90 which is one of Clarkson's most ugliest vehicle and only few surviving at the moment.

S13's and S14's already off the budget and as you said it is near impossible to find unmodified car.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 3:36 PM, john cooper said:

I do have a Suzuki X90 which is one of Clarkson's most ugliest vehicle and only few surviving at the moment.

S13's and S14's already off the budget and as you said it is near impossible to find unmodified car.

The X90 is called the hairdressers car by JC. Its unique I would say, Suzuki did stuff that others didnt even think of. Even the first gen Vitara was something novel those days. Its only now you see a lot of small crossovers/SUV's in the market.

Ugly it is but the Nissan Juke will also become a classic, it kick started a new segment which is now full of competition.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

Mazda AZ1- Holy Molly! What a cool looking KEI car...Do we have any here in SL? 

AZ-1's i don't think @Kavvz but we had two X-90's!

@Gummybr remeber the red one which I think BP De Silva owned near Thunmulla on Havelock Road

There was another which came up for sale some months back - i forget where but recall seeing it and had a moment of what on earth lol