• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What can I buy for below 1.8m brand new?

Saffy

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Since your question mentions "vehicles" and nothing specific, might I suggest a brand new facelifted KTM Duke 390, or you can grab a recent model CB400 SuperFour with legal registration. Maybe a Royal Enfield Himalayan to attack some nice country side hills and dirt??

Just kidding, seriously though there are no "new" cars at that price range, sadly. Are you searching for brand new because of a "trouble free" experience? 

I suggest a Perodua Viva elite which fit your budget and are nice cars, or maybe a 2016/17 Japan Alto/Suzuki Every if you can slightly extend your budget. 

Edited by AVANTE

On 5/30/2020 at 11:08 AM, AVANTE said:

.... Maybe a Royal Enfield Himalayan to attack some nice country side hills and dirt?

As soon as I saw the question I thought: Hmm...A nice bike!  But I see you've beaten me to it. :D

Okay but seriously, what's up with the facination people have with the Royal Enfield? I mean I understand its big in India, but isn't that just because its dead cheap? I'm not a bike person and I've only ridden an Enfield once for like 20 minutes but it was terrible! Old design, badly built, uncomfortable and over priced. The only way I'd own one was if I had any sentimental value attached to it, or if I was given it for free! Yeah I said it! There are so many other bikes that are waaay nicer and you've mentioned one of them the KTM Duke 390. If you gave me the choice of the three (Duke, CB and the Enfield) the Royal Enfield would come dead last on my list...Am I missing something here? 

Edited by Kavvz

26 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

As soon as I saw the question I thought: Hmm...A nice bike!  But I see you've beaten me to it. :D

Okay but seriously, what's up with the facination people have with the Royal Enfield? I mean I understand its big in India, but isn't that just because its dead cheap? I'm not a bike person and I've only ridden an Enfield once for like 20 minutes but it was terrible! Old design, badly built, uncomfortable and over priced. The only way I'd own one was if I had any sentimental value attached to it, or if I was given it for free! Yeah I said it! There are so many other bikes that are waaay nicer and you've mentioned one of them the KTM Duke 390. If you gave me the choice of the three (Duke, CB and the Enfield) the Royal Enfield would come dead last on my list...Am I missing something here? 

It's the retro vibe I guess. I don't like it either.

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

No no I agree. I'm no royal Enfield fan either, why do you think I didn't mention the infamous Bullet/Classic 350?its overrated because they appear in the bollywood/masala films and all that and the fact they grab alot of attention due to the obnoxiously loud sound (youngsters these days love the attention). They do have a solid build other than that nothing worth the high price tag. 

I only mentioned the Himalayan because it's the only simple, barebones, legally registered ADV bike in that budget range (unless you can grab a legal Hypermotard or Husqvarna 701) 

The KTM is a bit too much for my taste too but that's better than the RE. If I had that kind of cash for a 2-wheeler I'd buy a cbr250RR gullarm and restore it to factory condition with the original "paint brush" livery fairings or maybe a legal registered Ducati Monster 696. If any extra cash remains, I'd get myself a sweet little Yamaha Vino. ?

Also, did you know that there is a 49cc sport bike by Aprilia called the RS50? It's sold in Europe. (pictured below) 

Liquid cooled, fuel injected, single cylinder aluminum engine with 4 valves, disc brakes back and front, upside down forks, and only weighs 90 kg? Oh, top speed is at 100kmh too. All this with an engine smaller than a yoghurt cup. 

Screenshot_20200602_124054.jpg

Edited by AVANTE

On 5/31/2020 at 11:56 AM, Devinda_Z said:

@AVANTE how much is a Kwid these days?

Quick search shows 2016/17 cars all sitting at 16.75 - 16.90, such a tight strict market lol. New facelift was advertised at 2.2 IIRC.

But I say the Alto 800 is a better buy, kwid is scary to drive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Also, did you know that there is a 49cc sport bike by Aprilia called the RS50? It's sold in Europe. (pictured below) 

Liquid cooled, fuel injected, single cylinder aluminum engine with 4 valves, disc brakes back and front, upside down forks, and only weighs 90 kg? Oh, top speed is at 100kmh too. All this with an engine smaller than a yoghurt cup. 

Screenshot_20200602_124054.jpg

Wow impressive stats!  I've never ridden one but I have heard of Aprilia (and their balance / handling prowess).  This one looks dead cool I must say and all that from a 50cc? Perfect for the SL market then! Do we have an agent here?) 

Edited by Kavvz

7 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Quick search shows 2016/17 cars all sitting at 16.75 - 16.90, such a tight strict market lol. New facelift was advertised at 2.2 IIRC.

But I say the Alto 800 is a better buy, kwid is scary to drive. 

I agree the Alto 800 is what I would buy if I was forced into that market. Its has a decent interior, doesn't feel overly cheap and has nice manual gearbox...As good as it gets for that price!

Shocking how expensive it is in Sri Lanka though! In India the Alto 800 costs only .4 -.5 million Indian Rupees or so right? :D 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I agree the Alto 800 is what I would buy if I was forced into that market. Its has a decent interior, doesn't feel overly cheap and has nice manual gearbox...As good as it gets for that price!

Shocking how expensive it is in Sri Lanka though! In India the Alto 800 costs only .4 -.5 million Indian Rupees or so right? :D 

The nano got headlines internationally as the cheapest car ever, with a 200-300k rupees price tag, yet somehow it cost over 1.8mil here, what the hell was that about? 

The Alto rusts and wears out very fast but like you pointed out, still best for the price range. The kwid is so disconnected and scary, at the same time it also pretends to be a mini SUV. 

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Wow impressive stats!  I've never ridden one but I have heard of Aprilia (and their balance / handling prowess).  This one looks dead cool I must say and all that from a 50cc? Perfect for the SL market then! Do we have an agent here?) 

Agent for now is Abans, but unfortunately they only bring down the SR125 and SR150 sport scooters along with some retro Vespa models. I should mention that the RS50 despite being a 49cc, costs around 3000 euros brand new ?

But hey, it has a 6 speed gearbox too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVANTE said:

The Alto rusts and wears out very fast but like you pointed out, still best for the price range. The kwid is so disconnected and scary, at the same time it also pretends to be a mini SUV. 

never driven a Kwid but being a passenger - it feels like it was hastily put together and could come apart suddenly.  Agree that out of that bunch the Alto is easily the best pick. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:51 PM, AVANTE said:

Agent for now is Abans, but unfortunately they only bring down the SR125 and SR150 sport scooters along with some retro Vespa models. I should mention that the RS50 despite being a 49cc, costs around 3000 euros brand new ?

Wasn't it Colonial Motors @AVANTE??

2 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Colonial were the first to bring the name down to the country, but an year later abans got ahold of things. I have no idea why. 

I know what Abans aftersales is like to deal with when it comes to electrical appliances so if that anything to go by i pity anyone who gambles with buying a car or bike from them ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

I know what Abans aftersales is like to deal with when it comes to electrical appliances so if that anything to go by i pity anyone who gambles with buying a car or bike from them ?

Poor Hyundai owners ?