• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil vs Ambient Temperature

gayanath

Note: This question not related to Engine Oil selection for an ambient temperature. It's related to the service life of same oil in different ambient temperatures. 

Let's assume below two hypothetical conditions in two countries A & B. 

image.png.d24f06a8a502707b612187bed8f8d046.png

If we took oil samples from each vehicle after same period of time with same millage (lets assume after three months at 5,000 km usage),

Sample A - Country A 

Sample B - Country B 

Which sample would be more deteriorated? 

3 hours ago, gayanath said:

Note: This question not related to Engine Oil selection for an ambient temperature. It's related to the service life of same oil in different ambient temperatures. 

Let's assume below two hypothetical conditions in two countries A & B. 

image.png.d24f06a8a502707b612187bed8f8d046.png

If we took oil samples from each vehicle after same period of time with same millage (lets assume after three months at 5,000 km usage),

Sample A - Country A 

Sample B - Country B 

Which sample would be more deteriorated? 

Blackstone Labs would probably know ?

Fair question though @gayanath - does anyone carry out used oil analysis locally? It would be useful I feel especially for fleet operators

1 hour ago, Devinda_Z said:

Fair question though @gayanath - does anyone carry out used oil analysis locally? It would be useful I feel especially for fleet operators

Probably no.

I too searched but couldn't find any place withing SL. As I understood, the easiest method is sending Singapore.

6 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@gayanath the Industrial Technology Institute (ITI/CISIR formerly) may offer this service apparently or so I was told but I can't seem to find any current information to corroborate the same though

Already checked ITI for oil sample analysis but they have no such facility for motor oils. As I remember, they will provide the service for food related oils only. 

• Like 1

Interesting question. 

My opinion would be that it's not a simple answer as sample A or B. The result would probably change on whether the oil used is mineral, semi or fully synthetic and even by brand. The exact grade (0W30 VS 0W40 for example) might skew the result. So I think you'll have to consider multiple samples from different types, brands and grades to come up with a complete answer. 

Also, the environment variables you've stated are not mutually exclusive. Relative humidity is inversely proportionate to ambient temperature for example. So the experiment is assuming somewhat  hypothetical conditions. 

Have you tried searching online? You might be able to find research papers that help (maybe not the same thing, but it will help get an idea). 

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1