• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

vanquish.7

Question

Read a few threads on Auto Lanka but need specific input on the 3000CC Petrol version of the vehicle. Any recommendations/advice for or otherwise will be greatly appreciated regarding the choice of the Engine, Reliability and Fuel Consumption of the vehicle. A little concerned as I received a few recommendations regarding getting the diesel instead of the petrol and saying that the reliability of the vehicle wasn't great. Need to get some real user input.

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, vanquish.7 said:

Read a few threads on Auto Lanka but need specific input on the 3000CC Petrol version of the vehicle. Any recommendations/advice for or otherwise will be greatly appreciated regarding the choice of the Engine, Reliability and Fuel Consumption of the vehicle. A little concerned as I received a few recommendations regarding getting the diesel instead of the petrol and saying that the reliability of the vehicle wasn't great. Need to get some real user input.

Reliability 

Diesel and petrol in our context are equally reliable, If fact ive seen lesser problems in the petrol one.

Diesel 4m40 has all the classic 4m40 issues pls search and most are manual

3.2 l 4m41 needs super diesel, timing chain kit issues are common, typical diesel engine hoo haa, pulley bearings etc

The petrol one is super smooth, but not that gutsy. Gearbox feels pretty much the same in both. Both are equally noisy

2 to 4kmpl and 95 oc is advised , pls do not get optimistic on the fuel figures, they are not cheap to run, do not buy If fuel economy is a concern. 7kmpl is highly exaggerated and hard to reach even in a diesel 

The main problem is most of these vehicles are poorly used and maintained by cheap skates 

Run on poor quality petrol, mileages clocked back.

Masked gearbox issues, hidden CELs, skipped preventive maintenance 

Poor botched repairs on suspension etc

So find a good one and u are set for life, or look for another car. Dont try to get the cheapest one in the classifieds. I own a diesel one for ages,  looked for a petrol recebtly one, and gave up due to the bad examples in the market. 

Do not buy a lemon keeping a margin of like 500,000 for repairs, bits are far more expensive and some repairs can only be done by the agents.

Instead search hard and find a good car

To add there is a marvellous 3.8l petrol variant, tight as a drum and super duper smooth, extremely silent  but about 1 mil more expensive 

Edited by tiv
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiv said:

To add there is a marvellous 3.8l petrol variant, tight as a drum and super duper smooth, extremely silent  but about 1 mil more expensive 

Woha that a big markup! Plus just because you paid 1 mil more, there's no guarantee that there won't be any further repairs. But still there is something to be said for buying a well-maintained vehicle vs one owned by a cheap skate who has run it to the ground! However a full 1 mil is a pretty steep premium....

I suppose this paticular vehicle you mentioned above is one of the vehicles you looked at when were considering the switch from the diesel to the petrol varient? If so, how much of a market premuim would you have accepted for that one? 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Woha that a big markup! Plus just because you paid 1 mil more, there's no guarantee that there won't be any further repairs. But still there is something to be said for buying a well-maintained vehicle vs one owned by a cheap skate who has run it to the ground! However a full 1 mil is a pretty steep premium....

I suppose this paticular vehicle you mentioned above is one of the vehicles you looked at when were considering the switch from the diesel to the petrol varient? If so, how much of a market premuim would you have accepted for that one? 

My budget was 7 to 7.5, I was trying to purchase it while keeping my old one, I could scrape up enough, for 3.8l

As for the 3l, couldn't find a good example

I even tried looking for the petrol 1st gen montero sport, Devindaz even guided me onto a few, never found one good enough, I'm not picky but atleast 50% reasonable condition is a must 

This one,

3.8l v6 with massaging seats, theres a handful here , it's got Rockford sounds as well.  I've seen black and grey ones 

Those are JDM, distinctive 18 matte wheels and got a few extras. You ll turn the key again while the engine is running. It's that silent. And in tune so well, spurting water off the exhaust. 

Just ask unimo, they know

The one I went to see was owned by a well off businessman, he was quoting 8.5 and was not bothered to even discuss a deal, well off budget. I'm not sure if it's worth the number. Mileage was 115k ish

The 3l v6 ones go for 6.5 to 7mil, I guess the ideal no would be 8mil.

It was like it rolled off the factory yesterday, that good, was sold within the week.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@tiv in my hunt I also noted that the interiors on most Montero's were subpar. Cracked plastics, discolourations, seat rips, rattles.... :(

Compared to other higher end vehicles i thought the interiors were a let down.

We used a brand new imported Montero IO for a decade and a half almost and it was the picture of reliability and the interior was solid so it was a real let down to think the big brother premium full size Montero wore so poorly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, tiv said:

My budget was 7 to 7.5, I was trying to purchase it while keeping my old one, I could scrape up enough, for 3.8l

As for the 3l, couldn't find a good example

I even tried looking for the petrol 1st gen montero sport, Devindaz even guided me onto a few, never found one good enough, I'm not picky but atleast 50% reasonable condition is a must 

This one,

3.8l v6 with massaging seats, theres a handful here , it's got Rockford sounds as well.  I've seen black and grey ones 

Those are JDM, distinctive 18 matte wheels and got a few extras. You ll turn the key again while the engine is running. It's that silent. And in tune so well, spurting water off the exhaust. 

Just ask unimo, they know

The one I went to see was owned by a well off businessman, he was quoting 8.5 and was not bothered to even discuss a deal, well off budget. I'm not sure if it's worth the number. Mileage was 115k ish

The 3l v6 ones go for 6.5 to 7mil, I guess the ideal no would be 8mil.

It was like it rolled off the factory yesterday, that good, was sold within the week.

8mil was what I was thinking too: I think a .5 mil premium is decent ( well, to be honest I was thinking of a 2 lakh premium;  but I'm cheap / aggressive, so a 0.5mil premium is probably more inline with what is reasonable. 

It does certainly sound like a very well maintained suv...( I do like the sound of it having an engine so smooth you get tricked into having to turn the key twice etc. I guess the new owner is a lucky chap! And hopefully he didn't have any other additional expenses other than the above  market premium) 

Edited by Kavvz