• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Looking for a place to buy a set of tyres... 195/45 R16.

NadC

Hello... a Newbie here...

Looking to buy a set of tyres in the size 195/45 R16... (For a 2016 Fiesta)

Looks like this size is a bit rare in SL.... looked at a couple of places but wasn't able to find.

I'm looking for something from a mainstream brand... Michelin, Dunlop, Yoko, Bridgestone, Pirelli..etc.

How do I import a set of tyres if I can't find them..... anyone done that before? 

Would appreciate if someone could share their experience..

Thank you in advance.. 

Thanks @kmeeg

I haven't yet bought the car... thought of doing a bit of due diligence beforehand..

I was thinking of changing the wheel and the tyres to 195/50 R15 (an available size in SL).. this lowers the car by just 5mm.... but the added cost of a  set of alloys is difficult to justify.... plus the OEM wheels look rather nice.

But you are right.. from factory if the tyre size 195/50 R16 is available.. then it should not create any interference when turning the wheels.. hopefully

@NadC I'd advise against changing the tire size simply on account of lack of availability.

I had a Fiesta briefly last year and don't recall there being any shortage of options. I purchased a set of Yokohama BlueEarths from UniMo the agents - speak to Ruwan 77 299 1005 & feel free to mention my name.

Generally as a rule of thumb one must maintain the same rolling radius as illustrated in @kmeeg's visuals https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Also if you just want to get a price indication the following local websites are a good place to do some desk research

https://tyrebass.lk/

https://greasemonkey.lk/

7 minutes ago, NadC said:

Thanks @kmeeg

I haven't yet bought the car... thought of doing a bit of due diligence beforehand..

I was thinking of changing the wheel and the tyres to 195/50 R15 (an available size in SL).. this lowers the car by just 5mm.... but the added cost of a  set of alloys is difficult to justify.... plus the OEM wheels look rather nice.

But you are right.. from factory if the tyre size 195/50 R16 is available.. then it should not create any interference when turning the wheels.. hopefully

Also don't forget that downsizing isn't always possible - you need to consider the the clearance between your brake callipers and the rims, the offset of the new rims etc

Also if you're after a UK made Fiesta the PCD is different to the Thai made Fiesta's 100x4 stud pattern which is commonly available as found on a number of Japanese cars, so changing rims isn't going to be straightforward as you assume

11 minutes ago, NadC said:

Thanks @kmeeg

@NadCif you haven't already bought it search the forum for a post I made on the gearbox.

That new 6 speed dual clutch transmission which Ford uses is a disaster.

They've lot law suits in multiple countries on account of issues or outright gearbox failure.

If you can find a manual, great or worst case the 4 speed auto (not perfect either - has it's inherent flaws but can be fixed/tweaked) - but that wasn't an option on the facelifted Fiestas if I recall.

New tires will be the least of your worries if that DCT packs up!

19 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

That new 6 speed dual clutch transmission which Ford uses is a disaster.

That it true. This is my experience with my friends Ford. Utter disaster. (Screenshot from his mail when he got the issue.)

image.thumb.png.ee0920bc2a50019b3e51ab4c4e82ac36.png

3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

That it true. This is my experience with my friends Ford. Utter disaster. (Screenshot from his mail when he got the issue.)

image.thumb.png.ee0920bc2a50019b3e51ab4c4e82ac36.png

Transmission failure at 45k oh boy! And I thought my experience with Nissan's were bad...So what happened? Did he replace the transmission or was there a fix? 

27 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Transmission failure at 45k oh boy! And I thought my experience with Nissan's were bad...So what happened? Did he replace the transmission or was there a fix? 

Transmission replaced machan. Ford said they replace transmission for 7 years / (forgot the miles limit) at 0 out of pocket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Transmission replaced machan. Ford said they replace transmission for 7 years / (forgot the miles limit) at 0 out of pocket.

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

14 hours ago, NadC said:

Thanks @Devinda_Z for your comments.. I'm worried about buying that now.. I will search for the thread on the DCT... I really don't want to have gearbox problems as this will be my daily driver for a while..

If I recall properly, this was a problem specific to 2012 - 2014 models. Later models of Ford Focus comes with a standard auto gearbox (again its 6 speed I think). Manufacturers world over, have given up on DCT now. 

If you get a 2011 model Focus it shouldn't be a problem. I've owned one for 9 years now. It's a somewhat boring but reliable car. Not as boring as a premio or Allion of course. 

@Devinda_Z didn't your Fiesta come with the same NON-DCT box? 

21 hours ago, Crosswind said:

If I recall properly, this was a problem specific to 2012 - 2014 models. Later models of Ford Focus comes with a standard auto gearbox (again its 6 speed I think). Manufacturers world over, have given up on DCT now. 

If you get a 2011 model Focus it shouldn't be a problem. I've owned one for 9 years now. It's a somewhat boring but reliable car. Not as boring as a premio or Allion of course. 

@Devinda_Z didn't your Fiesta come with the same NON-DCT box? 

@Crosswind that's correct - i think we both may have had the same 4F27E / FN4A-EL 4 speed conventional automatic 

Some of those had that shift flare & various other well documented imperfections that prevented some boxes from being smooth but they worked and parts to repair/improve or even rebuild were plentiful as well as reasonably priced.