• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Service Period and maintanance

dhanushkahw

Hi All

I have a Corolla 141 car. I recently brought it. I do not have proper knowledge in car maintenance. I check my cars coolant levels, water level and engine oil often as i can. Is there any more items that I should be checking regularly?

Further please let me know how often should I service the Car. Should I consider the mileage as priority or the time period 6 months ? . I know cars should be services earliest as possible. But we need to look the economical side as well. Thats why I asked. Also is TOYOTA service station is recommended or can I use other service stations as well from your experience? Please let me know any other better places

Guys please help me with the above. Thanks

You are talking about self inspections ? Check for tire air pressure regularly....look for any uneven wearr. Look for slight signs of fluid seepage in the engine compartment (it is the first sign of fluid gaskets going bad and when it starts seeping you cannot see the fluid loss from the dip stick or level markers for a long time). Check under the car and look for anything that looks like it has loosened up and hanging down (just a visual inspection from outside). Check the lights are working.

Service interval depends on the type of oil you use. Mineral oils need to be replaced sooner than synthetics. Toyota Lanka uses normal mineral oil (or a blend) for standard services and I they will put the next service time on a little sticker or label in your car.This time periods are debatable but since you are new to car maintenance, I would suggest you stick to that until you learn some maintenance work yourself and experienced enough to figure out a service plan for yourself.

Yes..there are other reputable garages that can do the service. Taking it to these garages will also give you flexibility in the type of oil. filters and other items you want to use (oil that comes in a Toyota licensed can is not the best oil..it is just average oil that Toyota says will work for your car..not expensive ..not cheap...there are better oils out there). DO NOT take it to a maka baas garage or service stations with random boys just yanking things out. So go to a reputable place. Make sure they will have some sort of maintenance book and if they maintain records..that is even better. Since your car was an agent import, has it been maintained by the agent all this time ? If so..then you might want to keep doing so. The agent might be a bit more expensive than other service centers. You will still spend the same amount of money..it is just that outside you might be able to get a better oil and other things like filters.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 4:42 AM, iRage said:

You are talking about self inspections ? Check for tire air pressure regularly....look for any uneven wearr. Look for slight signs of fluid seepage in the engine compartment (it is the first sign of fluid gaskets going bad and when it starts seeping you cannot see the fluid loss from the dip stick or level markers for a long time). Check under the car and look for anything that looks like it has loosened up and hanging down (just a visual inspection from outside). Check the lights are working.

Service interval depends on the type of oil you use. Mineral oils need to be replaced sooner than synthetics. Toyota Lanka uses normal mineral oil (or a blend) for standard services and I they will put the next service time on a little sticker or label in your car.This time periods are debatable but since you are new to car maintenance, I would suggest you stick to that until you learn some maintenance work yourself and experienced enough to figure out a service plan for yourself.

Yes..there are other reputable garages that can do the service. Taking it to these garages will also give you flexibility in the type of oil. filters and other items you want to use (oil that comes in a Toyota licensed can is not the best oil..it is just average oil that Toyota says will work for your car..not expensive ..not cheap...there are better oils out there). DO NOT take it to a maka baas garage or service stations with random boys just yanking things out. So go to a reputable place. Make sure they will have some sort of maintenance book and if they maintain records..that is even better. Since your car was an agent import, has it been maintained by the agent all this time ? If so..then you might want to keep doing so. The agent might be a bit more expensive than other service centers. You will still spend the same amount of money..it is just that outside you might be able to get a better oil and other things like filters.

Thank you very much. Very detailed explanation