• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Aqua Power door not opening by the key

Akhila-Galle

Question

Hi, I have a Toyota Aqua 2013 and it has been not moved for about 2 weeks now. However now the doors are not responding to the smart key. Replaced the key batteries but still did not work. The mechanical key is not able to open the door. the power shutters are also closed. i suspect that the car battery is also down but without opening the doors i cant get that fixed.

please advise on what to do

21 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, Akhila-Galle said:

Hi, I have a Toyota Aqua 2013 and it has been not moved for about 2 weeks now. However now the doors are not responding to the smart key. Replaced the key batteries but still did not work. The mechanical key is not able to open the door. the power shutters are also closed. i suspect that the car battery is also down but without opening the doors i cant get that fixed.

Probably your 12V battery has drained. 
But you should be able to open the doors using the Mechanical key, just try rotating the key firmly again. If possible spray some WD40.

Edited by GK_007

Even though the car battery is dead you should be able to open the car doors with the mechanical key provided within the key fob. Did you check it thoroughly?

Are you sure that the key fob is the original one and that the mechanical key matches the key barrel within the door?

23 minutes ago, hrm said:

Why mechanical key is not working? Door lock worn out?

I don't see why the mechanical key would fail to unlock the car's doors unless the door was changed without changing the key barrel due to an accident etc??

4 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

I don't see why the mechanical key would fail to unlock the car's doors unless the door was changed without changing the key barrel due to an accident etc??

That's a possibility. Mechanical key saved me several times.

Yep sometimes mechanical key tends to stuck at key barrel due to non-usage but usually work after you attempt couple of times unless OP has a newly programmed FOB without a matching key or door was changed somehow.

9 hours ago, Akhila-Galle said:

As the other members have mentioned the mechanical key should always work. Try using it on the other doors and even the boot of the car as its unlikely the key will fail to work on ALL the locks...

Also if all else fails call  Key-lanka , ( or even the agents, or a local car sale). They will open your door for you without damaging the locks. [They'll wedge the door open slightly with an inflatable wedge tool and stick a mechanical tool down the opening or use a thin slip tool  they slide down the side of the glass past the rubber seal, down into the door to open the lock. It looks invasive but it doesn't damage the car...]

On 5/12/2020 at 9:47 PM, Kavvz said:

As the other members have mentioned the mechanical key should always work. Try using it on the other doors and even the boot of the car as its unlikely the key will fail to work on ALL the locks...

Also if all else fails call  Key-lanka , ( or even the agents, or a local car sale). They will open your door for you without damaging the locks. [They'll wedge the door open slightly with an inflatable wedge tool and stick a mechanical tool down the opening or use a thin slip tool  they slide down the side of the glass past the rubber seal, down into the door to open the lock. It looks invasive but it doesn't damage the car...]

So the old metal hanger trick doesn't work on these new cars I take it??

9 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

So the old metal hanger trick doesn't work on these new cars I take it??

:D

Not since they stopped making those lovely mushroom cap topped door locks...Now you have to PAY some bugger to break into your car! 

(Its actually quite extraordinary how fast they can get in though...Especially with those slim-jim type tools, they're in and have the door open in less than a minute. Its probably faster than breaking a window! Truely bonkers...) 

On 5/15/2020 at 7:25 AM, Kavvz said:

:D

Not since they stopped making those lovely mushroom cap topped door locks...Now you have to PAY some bugger to break into your car! 

(Its actually quite extraordinary how fast they can get in though...Especially with those slim-jim type tools, they're in and have the door open in less than a minute. Its probably faster than breaking a window! Truely bonkers...) 

It is.

Don't ask me how i know?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

It is.

Don't ask me how i know?

Thank goodness the newer cars refuse to lock if they detect the keys have been left inside, else you'd still be paying people to break in....  :D 

It is a common problem, I had a lot of friends with such car issue and my best advice will be to go to a good service or mechanic. In general Toyota is making good cars with a good resistance without problems but sometimes there are models with problems. Guys, I am making a reconstruction in my house and I am planning now to change the doors, I have found recently patio doors , looks very great and stylish so if you are looking also then you can check the link for sure you will enjoy.

Edited by Sebasty1987

On 5/19/2020 at 5:28 AM, Kavvz said:

Thank goodness the newer cars refuse to lock if they detect the keys have been left inside, else you'd still be paying people to break in....  :D 

Not so...the newer smart keys are better...but when you look at 2006 - 2012ish smart keys..they sucked...managed to lock in the the baby inside the car thanks to the stupid smart keys...not sure if they are still the same...I have not tried to do it recently...

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Not so...the newer smart keys are better...but when you look at 2006 - 2012ish smart keys..they sucked...managed to lock in the the baby inside the car thanks to the stupid smart keys...not sure if they are still the same...I have not tried to do it recently...

My car got locked from inside. Some how ignition switched off due to idle stop and my wife kept the key inside with my dog and gone inside to make the payment to the Vet. Dog has stepped on the lock button.

Had to rush with the spare key. This was a 2019 Audi. So i don't think they are better

3 hours ago, Quiet said:

My car got locked from inside. Some how ignition switched off due to idle stop and my wife kept the key inside with my dog and gone inside to make the payment to the Vet. Dog has stepped on the lock button.

Had to rush with the spare key. This was a 2019 Audi. So i don't think they are better

Oh dear....managed to get my self locked out of the car whilst the engine was running too ! There were people inside the car..but it still did lock me out.

12 hours ago, Quiet said:

Oh that makes sense. All cars will lock when the internal lock button is pressed. - That's a matter of safety,  so the actual lock/ unlock button inside the car will always lock the doors no matter what. 

But on the newer cars with smart keys if you leave your keys inside the car, it won't lock from the outside door sensors / buttons on the door handle, nor will it lock with a second key / remote  if another key is present inside the car. 

( It primarily detects keys in the front seat area as the triangulation sensors are usually setup for the front, but it usually works for keys left in the backseat area too on some cars but usually not for keys left in a bag in the trunk) 

(How do I know this: I have a long chequed history of locking things or now more commonly trying to lock things in various cars with no luck; only to find that I or someone else has left the second keys in a cup holder or in a handbag  placed somewhere in said car.) 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, iRage said:

Ah ! The kids are older, so now no need to 'accidently' lock them in the car since they can get out by themselves huh?  Sorry buddy: You're out of luck I guess...My kids on the other hand are still little buggers, so can easily lock them in the car...Life is grand. 

*I am obviously joking. Don't lock your kids in the car folks. Not cool...Also for some strange unknown reason doing so tends to upset your wife ?

But as a side note: Am regretting selling the Nissan already: It had a neat trick where you could lock the car from outside if you had your keys on you while the engine (and the A/C) was running. Can't do that now: Have to keep the doors unlocked as long as the engine is running or in the instances where I have someone inside, have to ask them to press the lock button for me when I nip out to pick anything up...How plebeian!

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

But as a side note: Am regretting selling the Nissan already: It had a neat trick where you could lock the car from outside if you had your keys on you while the engine (and the A/C) was running. Can't do that now: Have to keep the doors unlocked as long as the engine is running or in the instances where I have someone inside, have to ask them to press the lock button for me when I nip out to pick anything up...How plebeian!

Uhh...I am pretty sure I locked the car (RAV4) while the engine is running (and the key is out with me). Just had to do it manually (the little key on the side or the whole push in the lock switch and close the door with the outer handle pulled out..the latter which I am learning that a lot of young car owners/drivers do not know about :D) Did the same with the CRV as well. As the key fob walked away the thing was beeping bloody murder. I am pretty sure I did this because I used to go to shops and stuff whilst my wife and kids were in the car and wanted me to lock the doors whilst she stayed in (she sat in the back with the baby seat so unlocking was not easy).

3 hours ago, iRage said:

I am pretty sure I did this because I used to go to shops and stuff whilst my wife and kids were in the car and wanted me to lock the doors whilst she stayed in (she sat in the back with the baby seat so unlocking was not easy).

Same situation here: Can't leave the car unlocked with the engine running and the family inside....I guess the manual keys would still work as you mentioned above,  but since the keys are now buried inside their remotes, (unless you have something from the VW group) its not too practical. Nissan lets u still use the door handle sensors or remote to lock/unlock even when the engine is running which is quite convenient...

Edited by Kavvz

9 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Same situation here: Can't leave the car unlocked with the engine running and the family inside....I guess the manual keys would still work as you mentioned above,  but since the keys are now buried inside their remotes, (unless you have something from the VW group) its not too practical. Nissan lets u still use the door handle sensors or remote to lock/unlock even when the engine is running which is quite convenient...

but locking the actual physical door lock know on the door or the door handle and then closing the door with the outside door handled pulled out/up still works noh ?

1 hour ago, iRage said:

but locking the actual physical door lock know on the door or the door handle and then closing the door with the outside door handled pulled out/up still works noh ?

Probably does: Am one of those lazy bums you spoke of earlier who have forgotten that is how to manually close the  car door! :D  Been spoiled by technology I fear...BMW is already offering smart key compatibility  / direct paring with phones now, so soon most of us won't even have to physically have car keys on us-Just an authenticated smart phone...Pretty cool scene.

(Although I did buy an old bruiser a few months ago and I feel its easily the  best car I've had to date: Everything is old, mechanical and rock solid. Don't have to worry about where I park, or who parks / pulls up next to me: Its very liberating) 

Edited by Kavvz