• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

rat damage insuarance

hpeiris

Question

11 answers to this question

Interesting question!

I've attached link to the policy document of an insurance company as found on their website. Need to scroll through and see if they make mention of rodents or any animal for that matter. Would they be considered a natural peril???

https://www.fairfirst.lk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Policy-Jacket-Private-Car.pdf

9 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Interesting question!

I've attached link to the policy document of an insurance company as found on their website. Need to scroll through and see if they make mention of rodents or any animal for that matter. Would they be considered a natural peril???

https://www.fairfirst.lk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Policy-Jacket-Private-Car.pdf

8 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Rats = not man made = natural = anything that's a peril by nature = natural peril = yes ( I mean that's a good argument)

Seriously a good question.

Good arguments, and it would certainly be interesting to see if they hold up... 

The attached link to the insurance policy does make mention of something along the lines of "The insured shall take all reasonable precautions to safeguard from loss" etc. in clause No. 5 of the 'Conditions' as well as a whole heap of exclusions under 'General Exceptions' and to me this seems to mean that the insurance policy holder is going to make a fuss, and not pay for rodent damage or the like as its reasonable to assume that the owner of the insured vehicle is under obligation to protect the car from such perils...

But, then again every policy is different and even with the paticular one that's listed above, its an aweful lot of legalese to wade through so who knows...

(Its a bit like some of the twitter posts our politicians are making these days. Who knows WHAT they mean to say, I doubt even they know!  :D)

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, vag2 said:

what about damage by other big animals like elephants, buffaloes, peacocks? Since they are covered, no reason why Rats should not be.

Sri Lanka as a whole needs a good insurance policy against the 225 buffaloes we have running loose in the country....

But coming back to the question at hand: I didn't know damage by animals was generally covered? I always assumed it wasn't...(Please feel free to correct me, as this is just a generalization, your policy could be different.)

I do know that any use of the car / vehicle inside a national park or the like where its considered outside the boundries of 'normal use'  or any activity that intentionally breaks road-rules usually invalidates any claims...?

Edited by Kavvz

Damage due to a peacock crashing the expressway was covered once. I don't see why rats are an exception. If you are an unfortunate victim of rat damage, please update on what happened with the claim. It would be nice to know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, varotone said:

Damage due to a peacock crashing the expressway was covered once. I don't see why rats are an exception. If you are an unfortunate victim of rat damage, please update on what happened with the claim. It would be nice to know.

Oh I see, that's what you guys mean by damage from animals is covered...Okay: That makes sense as in a situation where you collide with a peacock etc crossing the road it would be considered an unavoidable road accident and therefore you'd be able to make a successful claim. However, damage caused to a parked car by peacocks shitting on it (because you parked under their party-tree) may not be covered as it would have been up to you (the insured) to keep the car safe by parking it in a safe spot...

I fear the rat scenario maybe similar: If you crash into a large rat or animal that was crossing the road you'll probably be able to claim damages; but if a rat gnawed on your car and damaged it, the insurance policy may not pay citing that it is the owners responsibility to keep the car safe from rat damage by parking it in a safe spot...

But yes, either way it would nice to know for sure.

Edited by Kavvz

You know...why not call the insurance company and say you want to make a claim for it ? No harm in actually asking....and we will all know the answer once and for all :D 

You might want to do it in person so that they see you are serious....

one argument against customers is that technical failures are not covered by insurance. So if a rat gnawed your door-beading, you have a better chance than if it gnawed some wires in the Power Window motor.  Even in that case , the cost of replacing the wires should be covered IMO.

Edited by vag2