• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advise on Toyota Aqua Battery Replacement

Surent5

Question

Hi guys, 

So I bought this Aqua (manufactured 2012) about 2 years ago and I got "Check Engine Light" last week. I checked through the scanner with a guy called Nishantha near Belangwila and he said 4 blocks (8 cells) are impacted. The car has run 81,000 KM's and it's been maintained throughout at Toyota Lanka. 

He offered me to get the Cells repaired which will cost about 50k (5k per cell) with 3 months warranty. And he said the car will be fine for about a year or year and a half. The other option is replacing the battery which will take 400k with 2 years warranty.

Has anyone done cell replacements and could you please advise me with an option as I'm a bit out of cash at the moment. Thanks for your support guys. I have attached the scanned report below. 

IMG-20200506-WA0008.jpg

6 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Surent5 said:

Hi guys, 

So I bought this Aqua (manufactured 2012) about 2 years ago and I got "Check Engine Light" last week. I checked through the scanner with a guy called Nishantha near Belangwila and he said 4 blocks (8 cells) are impacted. The car has run 81,000 KM's and it's been maintained throughout at Toyota Lanka. 

He offered me to get the Cells repaired which will cost about 50k (5k per cell) with 3 months warranty. And he said the car will be fine for about a year or year and a half. The other option is replacing the battery which will take 400k with 2 years warranty.

Has anyone done cell replacements and could you please advise me with an option as I'm a bit out of cash at the moment. Thanks for your support guys. I have attached the scanned report below. 

Personally no, but Kangaroo Cabs use a lot of Hybrid Cars in their fleet and during my on/off interactions with their drivers my understanding is that nearly all of their Toyota Prius cars (they have more than 20 of those cars under contract to them I believe) have had their battery packs repaired and that they find that to be a good alternative to replacement.

I can't recall the name of the chap who did their reconditioning, but I remember it was done at a lower cost than what you state above. (Could be because they have such a large fleet...) You can follow up further if needed, as their drivers are usually quite helpful - just grab one of their cabs on your next trip and ask the driver enroute where they recondition their hybrid batteries / maintain their Prius cars...

Edited by Kavvz

11 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Personally no, but Kangaroo Cabs use a lot of Hybrid Cars in their fleet and during my on/off interactions with their drivers my understanding is that nearly all of their Toyota Prius cars (they have more than 20 of those cars under contract to them I believe) have had their battery packs repaired and that they find that to be a good alternative to replacement.

I can't recall the name of the chap who did their reconditioning, but I remember it was done at a lower cost than what you state above. (Could be because they have such a large fleet...) You can follow up further if needed, as their drivers are usually quite helpful - just grab one of their cabs on your next trip and ask the driver enroute where they recondition their hybrid batteries / maintain their Prius cars...

Noted with thanks so much.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:40 PM, Surent5 said:

Has anyone done cell replacements and could you please advise me with an option as I'm a bit out of cash at the moment. 

Since you have  a cash problem, suggest you to buy OBD Scanner (BT or Wifi) and use with your smartphone (it will cost around 2K or 3K). You may clear the code  when it appears and use the car for sometime until you could afford the repair. 

* Subjected to the error code is P0A80 always. Please check the code every-time before clearing it. Otherwise you will mis any different one if arises.  

Knowingly, doing this is no harm to the safety of your ride or any mechanical/electrical  or electronic damage to other car parts. 

• Like 1