• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Land cruiser 202 Buying advice

JayZ

Dear experts,

Im looking in to buying a 202 and I have read the past posts on this forum but I don't think it really answers the questions I have. With my current budget( approx 24~25 Mil) I have 2 options,

Opt 1 - 2013 - 2015 Land cruiser 202 ZX Fully loaded Diesel model. Air sus / Cool box etc ... whole 9 yards
Opt 2 - 2016 Land cruiser 202 ( New face lifted version) AX semi option Petrol model

Diesel ZX is the pre face lift version but the fully kitted ZX.

The newer model is tempting and I like the exterior design than the 2014 / 2015 model year. But being a Petrol, I will have big fuel bills.

Is it worth to go for the newer model petrol or stick to the ZX with options. Is there a significant difference in mechanical components of the newer 2016+ models compared to previous model? 

Experts and reviews suggest both petrol and diesels engines are reliable but any advantage of owning a diesel against the petrol?  The local market is held high for the diesel variant thus far. 

Not so concerned about the fuel here, but what about the other factors in play here relevant to local conditions / maintenance etc ...

Any idea and suggestions from actual users, I'd love to hear your take on the car.

The differences between the 2015 facelift and prefacelift depends on the engine.To be honest, I think it was only the Land Cruisers with the 3UR that saw some changes in the gearbox (thus axle ratio). Toyota's ideology behind he Land Cruiser is to keep fiel proven tech at its core. So things harldy changed mechanically, albeit a few tweeks. Most of the changes came with the electronics and safety devices. But where safety devices are concerned whatever was available started becoming available throughout the (passenger) model range around 2013 (but since the older one is a ZX you probably get everything anyway).

I have used only diesel GXs with a 1VD-FTE engine and that thing has a significant amount of torque low down in the rev range. If you look at the 1UR engine specs...you will see that the same amount of torque is available only at higher revs.

I beleive the diesel will be more utilitarian than the petrol variant, especially if you plan to tow anything and will be more bearable if you do any cruising on any roads that are not a straight line :) Also, if the local market is more in to diesels that also might be to your advantage.

Since it is a 2014/2015 diesel..I suppose the ZX is an export model bought through the agents ? There might be a recorded maintenance history for a vehicle like that if it makes a difference. With the new Land Cruiser losing the V8 petrol and going Hybrid (for Petrol variants in Japan at least) there is going to put some added value onthe old school variants. 

As for the looks..yes the new facelift does look nicer but that can be changed too if you really do not like it...and also there are some nice offroady body kits you can get as well if you get bored with the 2007 looks.

Thanks for the reply iRage,

I dont think we have any 3UR cruisers here in SL apart from the few LX570's around. 

Yes, the 1VD would be ideal as I will be doing some travelling around with 5+ members, so may be both economical and engaging than a 1UR.  

Im looking at a cruiser as a long term vehicle to keep rather than to change in few years, so the added reliability is a major factor here. 
I know there are plenty of offerings from like Merc, BMW, Audi on same or lesser price brackets and newer models but long term reliability is a key concern here too.

7 hours ago, JayZ said:

Dear experts,

Im looking in to buying a 202 and I have read the past posts on this forum but I don't think it really answers the questions I have. With my current budget( approx 24~25 Mil) I have 2 options,

Opt 1 - 2013 - 2015 Land cruiser 202 ZX Fully loaded Diesel model. Air sus / Cool box etc ... whole 9 yards
Opt 2 - 2016 Land cruiser 202 ( New face lifted version) AX semi option Petrol model

The newer model is tempting and I like the exterior design than the 2014 / 2015 model year. But being a Petrol, I will have big fuel bills.

Will you drive it enough on a monthly basis for that to matter? (How much are you going to be driving it based on the useage of your current vehicle?)

5 hours ago, iRage said:

I beleive the diesel will be more utilitarian than the petrol variant, especially if you plan to tow anything and will be more bearable if you do any cruising on any roads that are not a straight line :) Also, if the local market is more in to diesels that also might be to your advantage.

(Good write up @iRage and I deleted it a bit in this reply purely inlight of focusing on the above)

IMO: I seriously doubt any current users of this vehicle in Sri Lanka are towing anything or taking it off road on anything other than the odd gravel road / beach access road. At the most the only off-road action these vehicles see on a daily basis would be driving over the odd curb etc.

The value placed on the diesel in the second hand market in Sri Lanka is certainly a point to consider though, and studying the depreciation curve of the petrol version vs the diesel version maybe of some value when making this decision as you pointed out. 

Hi @Kavvz,

The deciding factor is not the fuel here. Being a V8, obviously im not expecting 10KMPL from this.

The diesel ZX is the fully kitted one but the pre face lift,  petrol one is the newer facelift. so thats where I struggled. 

And by the looks of it and as @iRage mentioned, diesel model holds its value comparatively better than the petrol. Also as a user of a diesel SUV currently, I love the low end torque. 

I will not be doing any towing or off roading with this, but being driving SUV's for the past decade, its defiantly hard to settle for a car of any sort at this point. 
And cruiser is one of the few vehicles which holds up its value relatively better compared to other main stream SUV's in the similer price range. Of course its ancient compared to the latest kit offered by the likes of Range Rovers and BMW etc..., but i can live with that given the peace of mind. 

Petrol vs Diesel aside, 2013-15 Diesel ZX are quite rare in Sri Lanka and I don't think you could find any with a decent mileage at your price.

AFAIK 2013-15 diesels are mostly VX variants which come in two trims apparently. A sort of loaded trim which was imported under MP permits (distinguished by the extra spare wheel mounted on the rear door, leather interiors and sunroof) and another adequately loaded trim which came with PC member's permit. You might be able to bag a PC version for around 19-22 based on the mileage but MP versions cost around 22 since most of them tend to be high mileage ones with low mile versions asking 23-24.

Coming to your original query,

10 hours ago, JayZ said:

Dear experts,

Is it worth to go for the newer model petrol or stick to the ZX with options. Is there a significant difference in mechanical components of the newer 2016+ models compared to previous model? 

Experts and reviews suggest both petrol and diesels engines are reliable but any advantage of owning a diesel against the petrol?  The local market is held high for the diesel variant thus far. 

Not so concerned about the fuel here, but what about the other factors in play here relevant to local conditions / maintenance etc ...

Any idea and suggestions from actual users, I'd love to hear your take on the car.

Both engine options are very reliable ones. I personally feel the diesel version to be more practical for a high mileage user, with low end torque being the added bonus. you should note that at the end of the day its a diesel and the engine isn't a silent one like the petrol.

A friend of mine owns a 2012 petrol ZX anniversary edition which is a fully loaded version and I've heard that FE is pathetic and the resale value was even worse.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JayZ said:

Hi @Kavvz,

The deciding factor is not the fuel here. Being a V8, obviously im not expecting 10KMPL from this.

The diesel ZX is the fully kitted one but the pre face lift,  petrol one is the newer facelift. so thats where I struggled. 

And by the looks of it and as @iRage mentioned, diesel model holds its value comparatively better than the petrol. Also as a user of a diesel SUV currently, I love the low end torque. 

I will not be doing any towing or off roading with this, but being driving SUV's for the past decade, its defiantly hard to settle for a car of any sort at this point. 
And cruiser is one of the few vehicles which holds up its value relatively better compared to other main stream SUV's in the similer price range. Of course its ancient compared to the latest kit offered by the likes of Range Rovers and BMW etc..., but i can live with that given the peace of mind. 

Well fair enough, looks like you've pretty much decided on the diesel.

However if it were up to me I would actually opt for the newer petrol version: As someone who recently switched over from a diesel SUV to a petrol SUV; I can't say I miss the low end torque at all. For day-to-day driving the petrol is better in everyway. (No doubt for off-roading and rough terrain its not the case but my SUV, like most of the SUV's out there, lives very much on the street.)

As for SUV vs a car: I'm very much a car guy. SUV's are a waste (of money). I drive one as I don't have a choice right now but for similar money you can get twice the car. But hey, that's just me...

As for the Land Cruiser holding value: Agreed. Probably one of the safest choice of vehicle in the SL vehicle market and one that you'll rarely lose money on.  

Am I the only one who likes the stripped down GXs more ? Those things are so nice without all the electronic gizmos...just the safety stuff and basic creature comforts like power windows (that too comes as an option) :D 

Like I said....the diesel is going to be more utilitarian. Been in Petrol ones as a passenger and yes it was rather refined and quiet, but then I accounted that for mostly my old GX being stripped down and having lesser sound deadening material.

As for the diesel vs. petrol choice....well...if you are not going to be doing anything "heavy" then you really might not need that low-end torque and instead prefer the lazy calmness of a Petrol (although the low-end torque would help coming out of corners with that heavy body which needs to be slowed down going in to the corner)...on the other hand...a diesel might require a bit more attention in terms of pre-emptive maintenance than a Petrol. 

Yes..Land Cruisers do hold their value quite well. When they are new they are sort after by city slickers...when they become old, they are sort after by off-road enthusiasts...so there always is a market. 

As for the looks of the preface lift...just put on some body kit on :)

But seriously..the GX...look at her ! She is like a natural beauty who does not need fancy jewelry and make up to look good.Toyota Land Cruiser 200 2012 review | CarsGuide

FSmxPQ8zp8T1X2gygCqy1DPwlNtBYc9wg3zojy0xcvCCTF8gLgOqpEq5N1NbSARwLW1kH511gMDZSQwBOwqNMtBGPwwVIvXdZmMSrc6_QnqEEnLT6Lk1_kH1lSvBIxPR

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

Oh...also...I know it is your car...your money...your taste...but please please please....keep the rugged utilitarian looks of the Land Cruiser. If you must put something on...make it look more rugged and mean. 

Please do not hang those shiny princess dresses and pimp buckets on it and yell to the world that it is a gas guzzling shopping cart of a rap singer going through midlife crisis. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JayZ said:

Hi @Kavvz,

You can get a facelift conversion done. Few hundred thousands, but you can get the latest design. Its mostly plug and play. 

Guy I know got a 2013, its facelifted to the latest model design. Plus the interior had some tweaking done. 

Thanks guys for the comments and tempting images.

Finding a good diesel with low mileage would definitely be a challenge, but for these engines 100k kms would be just the break in period. 

And though not so concerned about  fuel as the deciding factor here, petrol ones would be so thirsty probably would return may be 5kmpl in city where diesel ones does around 7kmpl ish. The new face lift diesels are out of reach by any means now. 

Yes, I have seen lot of conversions done with various levels of quality ranging from 3/4 laks to 1mil +. 
And interior upgrades with massive touch screen audios etc.  

This would definitely not be a bling or shiny princess, I am eyeing on the Vogue Industries Cruiser here, that front bumper is dope. and the 33 or 35 tires.  probably skip the hood rack. And with a frosted red wrap. I know red is an unusual color for a cruiser, but would look dope. 

Any idea about the so called Bruno Cross edition here with absurd asking prices? Is it similer to the Sahara model? 

18738825_1334076823349382_6596766560512978591_o.thumb.jpg.5d8bbc851d0011e8a337751316431d0a.jpg18673244_1328724760551255_6769097931584152566_o.thumb.jpg.d8ff308fd3709bcf1c0d0a81f7498716.jpg18623557_1328724927217905_4340042236478330443_o.thumb.jpg.d9a622f955636c1b04271077aac6e480.jpg18588793_1328724773884587_4241878168735056319_o.thumb.jpg.85b5ca50a9c4858ba31ba42d088fe8d2.jpg17966200_1296090840481314_4850767431141152931_o.thumb.jpg.6d65e664a25454ced2cd9df7ace232f7.jpg

46 minutes ago, JayZ said:

Thanks guys for the comments and tempting images.

Finding a good diesel with low mileage would definitely be a challenge, but for these engines 100k kms would be just the break in period. 

And though not so concerned about  fuel as the deciding factor here, petrol ones would be so thirsty probably would return may be 5kmpl in city where diesel ones does around 7kmpl ish. The new face lift diesels are out of reach by any means now. 

Yes, I have seen lot of conversions done with various levels of quality ranging from 3/4 laks to 1mil +. 
And interior upgrades with massive touch screen audios etc.  

This would definitely not be a bling or shiny princess, I am eyeing on the Vogue Industries Cruiser here, that front bumper is dope. and the 33 or 35 tires.  probably skip the hood rack. And with a frosted red wrap. I know red is an unusual color for a cruiser, but would look dope. 

Any idea about the so called Bruno Cross edition here with absurd asking prices? Is it similer to the Sahara model? 

18738825_1334076823349382_6596766560512978591_o.thumb.jpg.5d8bbc851d0011e8a337751316431d0a.jpg18673244_1328724760551255_6769097931584152566_o.thumb.jpg.d8ff308fd3709bcf1c0d0a81f7498716.jpg18623557_1328724927217905_4340042236478330443_o.thumb.jpg.d9a622f955636c1b04271077aac6e480.jpg18588793_1328724773884587_4241878168735056319_o.thumb.jpg.85b5ca50a9c4858ba31ba42d088fe8d2.jpg17966200_1296090840481314_4850767431141152931_o.thumb.jpg.6d65e664a25454ced2cd9df7ace232f7.jpg

Hmm...Things just got real interesting, real quick... :D 

Anyways, looks like the diesel was a good choice for you as those tires alone are going to need all the torque you can spare to get them spinning! And as for fuel consumption- Oh wait: Gotta go! Dr Jekyll wants me to drink my potion...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Hmm...Things just got real interesting, real quick... :D 

Anyways, looks like the diesel was a good choice for you as those tires alone are going to need all the torque you can spare to get them spinning! And as for fuel consumption- Oh wait: Gotta go! Dr Jekyll wants me to drink my potion...

?  I digg the mean stance of the cruiser modified or not. In SL context we dont get much other options to compete with this apart from the Y62 Patrol which is extremely rare. 

18 hours ago, The Don said:

Is it just me but doesn't the front look a lot like the new Hilux with that kit?

2018-Toyota-HiLux-21.jpg.744e15a51fc920e5d5f65481252f7bd6.jpg

May be what you saw was modded with the same type of offroad bumper  ...