• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Heim Joints

CARSMITH

Question

Hello guys,

Do any one knows where to buy Heim Joints in sri lanka. want to use it as a Tie Rod end in a 4x4 vehicle.images.jpg.bde01bdf9318f90b5e1f0f1ce8c61df4.jpg

Thank you..

heim-joints-rod-end-bearing-500x500.jpg

14 answers to this question

14 hours ago, CARSMITH said:

Hello guys,

Do any one knows where to buy Heim Joints in sri lanka. want to use it as a Tie Rod end in a 4x4 vehicle.images.jpg.bde01bdf9318f90b5e1f0f1ce8c61df4.jpg

Thank you..

heim-joints-rod-end-bearing-500x500.jpg

Is it possible to know what exact vehicle it'll be going on please?

I'm curious, any specific reason to not go with say an uprated ball joint if stock isn't cutting it?

Any changes to the suspension or tires done?

Its a 4x4 with indipendant suspension I'm gonna do a lift kit for upper and lawer arms, and drop the front diff for two inches. In that case tie rod end and the rack end has to work in a high angle.. i was thinking if i could find a heavy duty heim joint, i can use it with a two inch spacer with long tapered bolt.

Screenshot_2020-05-06-21-58-04.jpeg

Screenshot_2020-05-06-21-58-48.jpeg

9 hours ago, CARSMITH said:

Its a 4x4 with indipendant suspension I'm gonna do a lift kit for upper and lawer arms, and drop the front diff for two inches. In that case tie rod end and the rack end has to work in a high angle.. i was thinking if i could find a heavy duty heim joint, i can use it with a two inch spacer with long tapered bolt.

Drop the front diff? For a 2 inch lift ? Self manufactured / jerry-rigged steering and suspension components? Oh-boy, oh-boy! The old me would have self-hugged in joy and said: Great idea! Go on! Please send clear pictures (and preferably videos) of your test drive when you're done  :D

The new slightly (emphasis on the slightly) more socially responsible me says: Don't do it. But if you must, go buy a vehicle specific 2 inch lift-kit from a well known off-road manufacturer like ARB, Dobinsons, Bilstein or Tough Dog and install it.

Unless you absolutely know what you're doing I wouldn't try to re-engineer suspension or steering parts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Drop the front diff? For a 2 inch lift ? Self manufactured / jerry-rigged steering and suspension components? Oh-boy, oh-boy! The old me would have self-hugged in joy and said: Great idea! Go on! Please send clear pictures (and preferably videos) of your test drive when you're done  :D

The new slightly (emphasis on the slightly) more socially responsible me says: Don't do it. But if you must, go buy a vehicle specific 2 inch lift-kit from a well known off-road manufacturer like ARB, Dobinsons, Bilstein or Tough Dog and install it.

Unless you absolutely know what you're doing I wouldn't try to re-engineer suspension or steering parts...

Thank you for your advice.. actually my totallift would be 4 inches 2 inches by suspension and 2 inches from the body.. The reason for lawering the front diff, i dont want to face CV and axle issuses while off roading.. 

And its a ssangyong Musso 1996.. i found a lift kit but i couldnt found any diff drop kits for this model.. so i'm gonna make it.. going to try it.. think the project will be interesting.

1 hour ago, CARSMITH said:

Thank you for your advice.. actually my totallift would be 4 inches 2 inches by suspension and 2 inches from the body.. The reason for lawering the front diff, i dont want to face CV and axle issuses while off roading.. 

And its a ssangyong Musso 1996.. i found a lift kit but i couldnt found any diff drop kits for this model.. so i'm gonna make it.. going to try it.. think the project will be interesting.

Oh! A Ssangyong Musso 1996? Nice. I do like those and I've been looking out for a nice unmolested one for regular good ole fashioned road use at a good price. Is yours a recent pruchase? And if so care telling me what you paid for it? 

Coming back to the project: 2 inches by suspension and 2 inches via a body lift?...Hmm never heard of it being done like that before. But then again, I'm no expert in these matters... So I  guess I DO get to sit back and watch after all ! 

Please do create a thread for this project and keep us updated via regular posts. Its going to be good to have something interesting to follow for a change. 

Jokes aside: All the best with the build and hopefully members who know more about these raising, lifting and leveling matters will chip in and help you along the way OR I guess you'll be teaching us all a thing or two. Cool scene either way. 

Edited by Kavvz

@CARSMITH sounds interesting!

This is the one with the old OM60x series diesel right?

Hmmm I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask if there is sufficient ROI to justify the effort of undertaking such an exercise? 

I know @Kavvz will enjoy reading about it but it's going to be a lot of work. Not to discourage you but getting suspension geometry right is tricky!

Have you tried reaching out to any local off road / 4x4 experts for any help? 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:05 AM, Kavvz said:

@KavvzIronman has a kit

https://www.ironman4x4.co.ke/html/ssangyong/59.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Hmmm I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask if there is sufficient ROI to justify the effort of undertaking such an exercise?

Not for @CARSMITH but for @kavvz yes...as I may potentially get a car for 1-2 lakhs below market value, since a butchered suspension is a relatively easy fix. Explanation is as follows

Market value of the S-Yong Musso = 11-12 lakhs.

Market value with a butchered suspension =  7-8 lakhs. 

Reworking the suspension and ancillary damage = 3 lakhs (assuming @CARSMITH hasn't gone Hannibal on any other major components)

Total cost: 10 lakhs (on the low end) for the potential buyer (@kavvz)

So a potential gain of 1-2 lakhs? to me :D Sounds like a good reason as any to butcher a suspension....Go ahead @CARSMITH hack away! 

[ *disclaimer @CARSMITH I'm kidding, do what you must, but after careful research. @Devinda_Z posted a decent option from Ironman 4x4 (also a reputable company for suspension mods) which maybe the best way forward, and if you limit yourself to a 2inch lift you don't need to change steering and powertrain components...]

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

I  know @Kavvz will enjoy reading about it but it's going to be a lot of work. Not to discourage you but getting suspension geometry right is tricky!

And pictures....we need pictures / video as well :D !! 

Edited by Kavvz

11 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Also let's not forget the implications of a 2" lift on a 90's SUV chassis when driven on road

"moose test" @Kavvz??

Ah! I didn't think of that...My experience with older SUV's has been somewhat limited, so I can't comment first hand; but its easy to logically assume that lifting up an older SUV's with no electronic stability controls would make it more prone to tipping...Especially if one just does a 'body lift' with spacers or what not and doesn't upgrade the suspension: Not the best senario! ?

I think the err...infamous 'Nalanda Defender' inccident highlights the dangers of that quite aptly! And while the incident was bad enough, the passengers hanging out the windows were incredibly lucky it didn't tip!  Imagine the mess that would have caused...( -No offence to any paticular school or owners of such vehicles intended!) 

[Also: I wonder how the Mahindra Bolero's fare? Despite being realtively new, the tech in them is decades old; and I see alot of them kicking around the Dambulla / Habarana area; almost all of them with some type of 'lift' or top heavy modificaion done. I wonder how those drive? Even been in one / driven one @Devinda_Z? ]

Edited by Kavvz

16 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I think the err...infamous 'Nalanda Defender' inccident highlights the dangers of that quite aptly! And while the incident was bad enough, the passengers hanging out the windows were incredibly lucky it didn't tip!  Imagine the mess that would have caused...( -No offence to any paticular school or owners of such vehicles intended!) 

I wonder how those drive? Even been in one / driven one @Devinda_Z? ]

A prime example! Those knobbly oversized mud terrain tires on tarmac don't help things much either ?

I've only ever driven the ones made in Solihull @Kavvz? Gut feeling tells me i'm not missing much ?