• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electronics Repairs Projects_Lets share

vitz

Hi All,

I know there is a bunch of electronic maniacs in the forum. I thought of starting a thread encouraging to share your experiences on self repairing electronic devices. It would save all of ours plenty of time, money and ultimately will bring a joy of DIY job.

Let me start with the first project

This is a repair of an appliance..

Appliance: Electronically controlled (remote) wall Fan. Of cause its a cheap Chinese fan branded by one of electronic appliance dealers. 

Problem: The fan refuses to start. Standby mode is okay, but when tried to switch on it get switched off it self.

Cure: Micro controller of the fan is driven by a  capacitor driven power supply. The main capacitor (Polymer capacitor 105 400V (i.e. 1 Uf) get busted to some other reason. Replace it...

Cost: 20 Rupees

fan1.jpg

fan2.PNG

fan 3.PNG

Edited by vitz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

My Desktop computer switches off itself after roaring noise of the CPU fan (HP Compaq i5).  This problem started after heavy use of my PC for computations. Now it keep on happening few minutes after switching on the PC. First, the PC freezes, then fan starts to roar, then shut down the PC completely.

I cleaned the CPU heat sink and Fan, assuming an overheating problem. Of course, lot of dust accumulated!!!!!

But, this solution did not work. 

If anyone of you have faced this problem and found a solution, I will be really grateful if you could share!!!!

Cheers,

Vitz

Edited by vitz

14 hours ago, vitz said:

Dear All,

My Desktop computer switches off itself after roaring noise of the CPU fan (HP Compaq i5).  This problem started after heavy use of my PC for computations. Now it keep on happening few minutes after switching on the PC. First, the PC freezes, then fan starts to roar, then shut down the PC completely.

I cleaned the CPU heat sink and Fan, assuming an overheating problem. Of course, lot of dust accumulated!!!!!

But, this solution did not work. 

If anyone of you have faced this problem and found a solution, I will be really grateful if you could share!!!!

Cheers,

Vitz

Finding the exact root cause of the issue might be tricky IMO. I experienced a similar situation some time back on my gaming Pc. Checked motherboard,CPU ,Memory sticks and even the PSU.They were all good. Then I checked the Graphics card. Ripped it apart and cleaned the dust. That did the trick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Finding the exact root cause of the issue might be tricky IMO. I experienced a similar situation some time back on my gaming Pc. Checked motherboard,CPU ,Memory sticks and even the PSU.They were all good. Then I checked the Graphics card. Ripped it apart and cleaned the dust. That did the trick.

Thanks,,,,

Today, I cleaned and reapplied thermal paste between CPU and HeatSink, waiting for the outcome.....

Graphics Card could be also a culprit.... need to check that out

Meantime,I  installed the freeware "Open Hardware Monitor" and trying to figureout what get heated up :{

• Like 1

Better check temperatures using a software like hwinfo, coretemp or any other of your choice. Normally, CPU temperatures should not get close to 80-90 degrees at full load, if you have a desktop with proper cooling.

I assume you have a dedicated video card, in which case you could try using the onboard graphic card on the motherboard itself.

Other things to check next include RAM sticks, the motherboard and PSU. 

A freezing computer can also be caused by a failing hard drive, but that should only cause freezing and not automatic shutdown.

Edited by speed8

6 hours ago, speed8 said:

Better check temperatures using a software like hwinfo, coretemp or any other of your choice. Normally, CPU temperatures should not get close to 80-90 degrees at full load, if you have a desktop with proper cooling.

I assume you have a dedicated video card, in which case you could try using the onboard graphic card on the motherboard itself.

Other things to check next include RAM sticks, the motherboard and PSU. 

A freezing computer can also be caused by a failing hard drive, but that should only cause freezing and not automatic shutdown.

Thanks. Yeah it got a dedicated video card, next I am going to rip it apart and clean. if it does not resolve,  I will use the mainboard graphics to verify any issues in video card.

Good news is after thermal paste treatment I did not get the problem yet. But, needs some more time to see the stability.

Edited by vitz

20 hours ago, vitz said:

Thanks. Yeah it got a dedicated video card, next I am going to rip it apart and clean. if it does not resolve,  I will use the mainboard graphics to verify any issues in video card.

Good news is after thermal paste treatment I did not get the problem yet. But, needs some more time to see the stability.

You can use a software like prime95 for stress testing your PC.

Also you can view windows logs under event viewer to get a better understanding of previously experienced error.

Good Luck

4 hours ago, DJR said:

You can use a software like prime95 for stress testing your PC.

Also you can view windows logs under event viewer to get a better understanding of previously experienced error.

Good Luck

Thank you all,

Good news... The cleaning of old thermal paste between the cpu and the heatsink then application of a thin layer of new paste (apply a pea sized squeeze to the center of the processor head, then make it a thin layer by using a business card) solved the problem.

Total Cost : Rs. 100.00 

Edited by vitz
  • Like 3