• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

iRage

I bought a few of below editions which also has actual locations of the artwork etc.

Also got most of the collection from my elder cousins passed on to me which has hard cover prints from 1970's published by Methuen.

@Davy Tintin in Congo? :) 

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pug306xsi said:

@Davy Tintin in Congo? :) 

I don't have that one I'm afraid. It's a bit of a controversial book from my understanding and was almost banned due to perceived racism in the artwork as well as dialogues. 

Two other books are Tintin and Alph Art and Tintin in the Land of the Soviets which I'd love to own. The former was never finished because Hergé passed away before that. However, the unfinished work was published as a book. 

Would love to collect all three. :) 

Part 3:

Been trying to figure out the site...sadly it is in Japanese and some parts cannot be translated via Google translate. But nevertheless, it is a fun little site to waste a few hours oogling at cars and stuff...

Honda Virtual Motorland :

https://www.honda.co.jp/motorsports/virtualmsland/

Citroen (paper craft and coloring....the 2CV looks so cute) :

https://web.citroen.jp/cpn/citroen-athome/

Edited by iRage

18 hours ago, Davy said:

I don't have that one I'm afraid. It's a bit of a controversial book from my understanding and was almost banned due to perceived racism in the artwork as well as dialogues. 

Two other books are Tintin and Alph Art and Tintin in the Land of the Soviets which I'd love to own. The former was never finished because Hergé passed away before that. However, the unfinished work was published as a book. 

Tintin in the Congo and  Land of soviets was available as a double-issue  hard cover format a couple of years ago in Sri Lanka . The 'racism' in Congo is the typical  racial caricature  stuff that cartoons like Tom and Jerry etc came under fire for later on, and a whole air of European Supremacy. Herges perception on the whole 'outside-world' changed after meeting a Chinese friend (on whom Chang is based on) the later books have a very clear different sentiment. For instance in the  'The Blue Lotus'  there are a few instances that do not paint a pretty picture of the European presence in China. 

19 hours ago, Davy said:

Do you want me to drop a message if I have seem them in Sri Lanka? i can buy it for you and keep.

Alp art is available on most stores. and Congo and Land of soviets was on a double book which i have.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:14 PM, AVANTE said:

Thanks alot iRage! Wholesome stuff, This brought out the inner kid in me...gonna try it out?

Also here's a 1:12 scale diorama I made a while back, needs a few more improvements and additions, spider webs & dust maintained for special effects?:

Screenshot_20200503_120950.jpg

Screenshot_20200503_121026.jpg

Screenshot_20200503_121057.jpg

Screenshot_20200503_121042.jpg

That's brilliant @AVANTE:appl:

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, AVANTE said:

Good stuff.. Are you into antique OS only or old tech in general? I'm into old phones. Have a few nokias (some dead), recently got an E5? and trying to acquire a Nokia 6600 and E72 in black (My dream phone when It first launched) qwerty keyboard, aluminum cover, GT Racing & Spiderman Pre installed.. Damn they don't make them like they used to anymore. Only gripe is can't seem to sync up with the Ovi store app on my computer and download some stuff. Even the shop guy isn't sure on how to do so. 

@AVANTE the Symbian OS was brilliant - truly the glory years of Finnish made Nokia! 

I recall using an i-Mate (made by HTC) with Microsoft's own "Smartphone OS" parallel to the 6600. The 6600 was so far ahead. I remember being impressed by this one messaging app called Agile Messenger which was a consolidator of sorts which let you "chat" on multiple services (Yahoo! , MSN, ICQ etc) using a single platform which included audio &attachments  as well. Doesn't sound like much now but in 2004 it was mind blowing stuff ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pug306xsi said:

Do you want me to drop a message if I have seem them in Sri Lanka? i can buy it for you and keep.

Alp art is available on most stores. and Congo and Land of soviets was on a double book which i have.

@pug306xsi do you recall where the double issue was available? 

38 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@AVANTE the Symbian OS was brilliant - truly the glory years of Finnish made Nokia! 

I recall using an i-Mate (made by HTC) with Microsoft's own "Smartphone OS" parallel to the 6600. The 6600 was so far ahead. I remember being impressed by this one messaging app called Agile Messenger which was a consolidator of sorts which let you "chat" on multiple services (Yahoo! , MSN, ICQ etc) using a single platform which included audio &attachments  as well. Doesn't sound like much now but in 2004 it was mind blowing stuff ?

I get it, those companies came out with some funky stuff back in the day. The Symbian OS was brilliant but it also was Nokias downfall as they trusted it way too much without updating it to keep up with the competition. Even everyone in my family had a Nokia until 2012 when everyone switched to iPhones and Samsungs as the Symbian was just not worth it anymore for daily use compared to android. Now the only Nokias still in "daily use" with us are the 8110 4G (banana phone, more of a fashion item, not that good) & a 105. 

The new Nokia smartphones are nice too. The Nokia 8 Sirocco (one piece aluminum) and 7 Plus are truly good looking things with good software and camera. 

My first phone was a Nokia 6060, it straight up looked like someone converted the Knight rider KITT car into a phone. That laser like light and that heavy metallic finish.. Truly the Finnish knew what they were doing.

Screenshot_20200506_135224.jpg

Edited by AVANTE

51 minutes ago, AVANTE said:

I get it, those companies came out with some funky stuff back in the day. The Symbian OS was brilliant but it also was Nokias downfall as they trusted it way too much without updating it to keep up with the competition. Even everyone in my family had a Nokia until 2012 when everyone switched to iPhones and Samsungs as the Symbian was just not worth it anymore for daily use compared to android. Now the only Nokias still in "daily use" with us are the 8110 4G (banana phone, more of a fashion item, not that good) & a 105. 

The new Nokia smartphones are nice too. The Nokia 8 Sirocco (one piece aluminum) and 7 Plus are truly good looking things with good software and camera. 

My first phone was a Nokia 6060, it straight up looked like someone converted the Knight rider KITT car into a phone. That laser like light and that heavy metallic finish.. Truly the Finnish knew what they were doing.

Screenshot_20200506_135224.jpg

On 5/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, AVANTE said:

Good stuff.. Are you into antique OS only or old tech in general? I'm into old phones. Have a few nokias (some dead), recently got an E5? and trying to acquire a Nokia 6600 and E72 in black (My dream phone when It first launched) qwerty keyboard, aluminum cover, GT Racing & Spiderman Pre installed.. Damn they don't make them like they used to anymore. Only gripe is can't seem to sync up with the Ovi store app on my computer and download some stuff. Even the shop guy isn't sure on how to do so. 

@AVANTE they sure did but don't forget old Ericsson and the amazing R380 

Fig-24-ericsson-r380-rev1.jpg

http://www.gsmhistory.com/ericsson-r380/ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@pug306xsi do you recall where the double issue was available? 

the double issue was there at House of Fashion around 2017 .....not there anymore at least was not there last year. 

1 hour ago, AVANTE said:

My first phone was a Nokia 6060,

Nokia made some really cool gadgets  like the N-Gage gaming phone and the  5300 expressmusic at one point was one of the coolest gadgets to have. Nokias hardware was rock-solid and offered a very very stable experience (as opposed to say a Sony Ericsson which had superb cameras but were very inconsistent and threw up a number of issues)  Sadly they spent too much time in the Symbian comfort-zone to realize the  importance of a solid eco-system. When they finally realized to enter the smartphone game they had an ex- Microsoft CEO who pushed Windows Phone into Nokia effectively destroying it - I've used Windows phone as well at a point - the OS was quite decent in terms of stability and smoothness this was achieved by limiting the scope of apps - so basically you could never develop an app like Tasker for it. Overall it was a very basic smartphone experience - and combined with the lack of Apps it never caught on and after MS acquired it it just died a natural death.  Being a long-term Nokia Fanboi I snapped up the Nokia 6 as well as soon as it came out - it's built like a tank but has an ugly heating issue and a hideous camera.... I still use it these days since my regular phones  screen developed an issue. 

Edited by matroska

41 minutes ago, matroska said:

the double issue was there at House of Fashion around 2017 .....not there anymore at least was not there last year. 

Nokia made some really cool gadgets  like the N-Gage gaming phone and the  5300 expressmusic at one point was one of the coolest gadgets to have. Nokias hardware was rock-solid and offered a very very stable experience (as opposed to say a Sony Ericsson which had superb cameras but were very inconsistent and threw up a number of issues)  Sadly they spent too much time in the Symbian comfort-zone to realize the  importance of a solid eco-system. When they finally realized to enter the smartphone game they had an ex- Microsoft CEO who pushed Windows Phone into Nokia effectively destroying it - I've used Windows phone as well at a point - the OS was quite decent in terms of stability and smoothness this was achieved by limiting the scope of apps - so basically you could never develop an app like Tasker for it. Overall it was a very basic smartphone experience - and combined with the lack of Apps it never caught on and after MS acquired it it just died a natural death.  Being a long-term Nokia Fanboi I snapped up the Nokia 6 as well as soon as it came out - it's built like a tank but has an ugly heating issue and a hideous camera.... I still use it these days since my regular phones  screen developed an issue. 

@matroska House of Fashion sells BOOKS ??? ?

41 minutes ago, matroska said:

Did you ever get a chance to use the old Microsoft Smartphone OS? It was very different to the post 2010 OS with the tiles. The original was much closer to a Windows PC in that it had one of those old school start menus and the file structure.

The new Nokia's don't have anything on the originals - my E71 from 2008 is still going would you believe?!

8 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

Did you ever get a chance to use the old Microsoft Smartphone OS? It was very different to the post 2010 OS with the tiles. The original was much closer to a Windows PC in that it had one of those old school start menus and the file structure.

The new Nokia's don't have anything on the originals - my E71 from 2008 is still going would you believe?!

The Lumias were good phones, especially the camera on that. I wasn't a big fan of the windows layout. 

E71? Me likeee.... I loved the E72 back when it launched. Have an E5 from 2010 still works like a charm. Those were tough business phones back then. 

House of Fashion sells BOOKS ??? 

yes they do - they have a small section on the ground floor - used to have Tintin and Asterix but now I think it's mostly Peppa Pig and other Kid's books- picked up one or two for my niece from there. 

i did - part of a project I did during my Bachelors there was a requirement to develop a mobile version of the application we had already developed in .net this was when Android was just gaining traction and since Windows CE could be directly developed in VS 2008 without any additional stuff (even the emulator was built in) opted for it and managed to get an old HTC Windows Mobile device from a friend for testing and Demo.The overall look and feel was almost identical to Windows - same file structure so developing for that platform was not much different to regular windows. 

Edited by matroska

54 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

Oh good old days...used to be a tester for Dell...got quite a few of their handheld devices to pkay aorund with..including drop kicking them :) Considering what we started getting in th emid teens that OS sucked **$#$@ but it was pretty hyped up during the day :)

4 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@iRage are you five?!?

Don't be ridiculous ! 4.25 !!! But seriously....I am surprised as to how therapeutic it is :) and so easy to kill off a few hours without even realising it.

Edited by iRage

8 hours ago, AVANTE said:

E71? Me likeee.... I loved the E72 back when it launched. Have an E5 from 2010 still works like a charm. Those were tough business phones back then. 

Indeed - I got it just when starting my first job where @VWvortex also worked coincidentally at the time!

Liked it so much i bought one a couple of years ago (Middle East refurbished sadly) for my father when he insisted on a QWERTY! ?

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Oh good old days...used to be a tester for Dell...got quite a few of their handheld devices to pkay aorund with..including drop kicking them :) Considering what we started getting in th emid teens that OS sucked **$#$@ but it was pretty hyped up during the day :)

Don't be ridiculous ! 4.25 !!! But seriously....I am surprised as to how therapeutic it is :) and so easy to kill off a few hours without even realising it.

I don't think i've come to that stage of lockdown sickness yet @iRage

Didn't the Dell's also run some mobiles on Linux? Or am I thinking of the Motorolla's that came after the V70, Razr but before the Droids??

7 hours ago, matroska said:

yes they do - they have a small section on the ground floor - used to have Tintin and Asterix but now I think it's mostly Peppa Pig and other Kid's books- picked up one or two for my niece from there. 

i did - part of a project I did during my Bachelors there was a requirement to develop a mobile version of the application we had already developed in .net this was when Android was just gaining traction and since Windows CE could be directly developed in VS 2008 without any additional stuff (even the emulator was built in) opted for it and managed to get an old HTC Windows Mobile device from a friend for testing and Demo.The overall look and feel was almost identical to Windows - same file structure so developing for that platform was not much different to regular windows. 

That phone or more so the OS was actually quite decent to use tbh - i liked how familiar it felt!

...sometimes a little too familiar almost because it froze far too often and without warning, rebooting sometimes which meant anything you were typing (long rambly SMS's for an example!) disappeared ?‍♂️

The bad news was actually the hardware

Despite the hot-swapable SD/MMC and various other bells 'n whistles, the motherboard failed on me in a year

• Haha 1

Speaking of good ol phones. I used to have a Nokia 7600 since launch and a Motorola V3 as well(spoiled-yes yes).

Used to be a geek at school before the phones, almost a celebrity after. This was an age where not  everyone had mobile phones(2005 maybe? )

The Nokia was the official "material" media device for the guys. I used to tell people it was a calculator,and they believed it!

Had some more phones,but can't seem to remember them atm. 

Not a brag but I'm past my 100th phone(so now you know why I'm broke, right @AVANTE? ).

Finally settled down with a Samsung A20 and Iphone 7. 

Rant over!

Motorola_RAZR_V3_Flip_Phone_for_AT_T_Wireless_-_Black_690_w425_h380.jpg

nokia-7600.jpg

• Haha 1