• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need to buy a 2008/2009 Vitz. Is it good choice ? SHould I go for a 2016/2017 Unregistered Vitz ?

Shehan_Desha

1 hour ago, Shehan_Desha said:

Hi all,
I'm planning to buy vitz 2008, 2009 model car as my first car.
Need to know the important fact that i should be concerned about.
Also is it the best for 26- 28  prize ?

Welcome to the forum...?. Are you looking for a diesel or petrol Vitz?

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Shehan_Desha said:

I'm looking for 1000 or 1300 cc petrol one

Ok. I am telling my view points.

Vitz car is a small car. So you can't expect much comfort like a larger sedan like Allion or Premio...?. Also Vitz is for budget users in Japan. So you can't expect much from the ride quality. Anyway this is better than Alto or Maruti Hatchbacks. Fuel consumption for 1000cc model will be 7~8, that is fairly good in Ceylon's traffic conditions. But I think 1300cc model would give you around 8.5 kmpl, little more.

If you have smaller parking spaces, looking for this car might be worth.

• Like 1

I used a 2007 1.3 Vitz for 3-4 years. For me it's a very reliable ride and decently comfortable. If you think of buying a Vitz go for the 1300cc variant. Extra premium spent on that 4 cylinder engine is well worth it as it's very smooth and silent engine and less vibrations. You do feel it's a proper size car when you drive it compared to the 1000cc one. It did around 10 in Colombo and 15+ outstations and only maintenance I did was change the water pump and tires apart from regular maintenance.

21 minutes ago, Shehan_Desha said:

Thanks @hrm. 1000cc one is widely available. 1300 cc one is little hard to find as per my experience.

Yeah. You have to look around a bit but you won't regret it.

7 hours ago, tilvin said:

Ok. I am telling my view points.

Vitz car is a small car. So you can't expect much comfort like a larger sedan like Allion or Premio...?. Also Vitz is for budget users in Japan. So you can't expect much from the ride quality. Anyway this is better than Alto or Maruti Hatchbacks. Fuel consumption for 1000cc model will be 7~8, that is fairly good in Ceylon's traffic conditions. But I think 1300cc model would give you around 8.5 kmpl, little more.

If you have smaller parking spaces, looking for this car might be worth.

Not really..depends on the variant...the Vitz is Toyota's compact hatchback (at the period the only one as the Aqua was not there). It wasn't meant for entry level or higher market.  The ENTRY level hatch was the Passo and then a level above was the Vitz.

The 1L variant was targetted mainly for the budget conscious user, especially the young kids (lower tax, lower insurance, etc..) and the business users (trying to steal away market share from the kei car fleets). The 1.3L and 1.5L variants are decent normal hatchbacks.

The 1L was priced around 1.2mil yen and the RS going up to about 1.8mil yen. Considering the equivelant Marches and Demios at the time were priced from 1mil to about 1.6mil yen...the Vitz definitely was not a "budget" hatchback...

The thing is..95% of the Vitzies that came to Sri Lanka were the stripped down (barely spec'd) 1L versions.

Having said that...stay away from the 1L version...it is an old dog of an engine. Unrefined. Try to go for the 1.3L variant. Hard to find but they are there. If you are really lucky you will find a 1.5L RS. The 1.5L RS was there till about 2008. It was a proper sporty trim with suspension tune ups and disc brakes etc...there are only a few of these around in SL. The 1.3L RS is just a trim with a body kit and interior changes. The suspension, brakes, etc.. are the same as your normal 1.3L Vitz. There are plenty of these in SL. 

Also, the problem with 1Ls is that it was bought by the budget conscious users in SL (I think this is what @tilvin meant...the car was not necessarily budget but the users were). As such the cars were not very well taken care of as well.

If you can find a good 1.3L or a 1.5L 

8 hours ago, tilvin said:

Grow up guys...?.

Vitz has diesel models also. Just check this link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Vitz

Yes...the "model" came with a 1ND diesel engine. However, this was never offered in Japan. It was offered in some European countries. This was a time Japan was not putting any diesel engined passenger vehicles in to the local market because the local emission regulations were getting strict and they were changing their focus to having Hybrids instead). Technically, the diesel cars are Yaris and not Vitz. So unless you find somecar that was brought down from the UK..you are not going to find a diesel Vitz(Yaris) in Sri Lanka. Considering the taxes in SL for a diesel passenger car (at the time), its highly unliely anyone would have spent that much on bringing down a diesel Yaris(Vitz). 

Having said that...

5 hours ago, Shehan_Desha said:

Thanks @hrm. 1000cc one is widely available. 1300 cc one is little hard to find as per my experience.

May I ask why a Vitz ? The Demios of the time are also pretty decent. In fact you might feel tht the interior materials and design were a bit more modern and slightly more refined than the Vitz. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the descriptive details @iRage.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

May I ask why a Vitz ? The Demios of the time are also pretty decent. In fact you might feel tht the interior materials and design were a bit more modern and slightly more refined than the Vitz. 

Well about the Demio I thought fuel consumption is not that good ( actually some told me so ). Also the second market vaule can be low. 

10 hours ago, tilvin said:

Grow up guys...?.

Vitz has diesel models also. Just check this link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Vitz

Not everything you see in Wikipedia is correct. The diesel YARIS (not Vitz) is offered in Europe. Technically its the same car, but as far as the Sri Lankan market is concerned. Its two different cars.

Edited by Crosswind
Edit: just saw that irage has posted the same thing earlier

10 minutes ago, Shehan_Desha said:

Thank you very much for the descriptive details @iRage.

Well about the Demio I thought fuel consumption is not that good ( actually some told me so ). Also the second market vaule can be low. 

To be honest..the Vitz is over priced mainly because of the hype surrounding it, especially the Toyota badge. Not to be surprised..these stories are made up and spread by car slaes owners and Vitz owners themselves :) 

The Demio is cheaper. For the same price as a 2008/2009 Vitz..yiu might be able to find a Demio that is slightly newer or one that has more accessories and features...so technically you are paying less for the Demio.. ..thus you would be selling it off at a lower price than that of the Vitzies around...If the car is honest..there will be no problem selling a Demio. In fact...it is hard ot find any Demios because those who have good ones never sell them. We had a green little Demio in around 2012...it was a short term purchase for the office. After using it for about 1.5 years we sold it for not too low of a price and if I am not mistaken in a matter of days. So do not beleive the sotries Toyota owners and car sales people say.

Fuel consumption...what people do is they compare the fuel consumption of a 1L VItz against a 1.3L or 1.5l Demio. The fuel consumption might be slightly lower in the Demio against a Vitz with a similar capacity engine.

However, you are looking at a 10 year old car. The fuel consumption will depend on the condition of the car you are looking at. So you can very well come across a Vitz that has poor gas mileage. 

6 hours ago, Shehan_Desha said:

Thanks again @iRage ?
Another question not actually belong to this topic though. 
What about 2016/ 2017 Vitz ? low mileage one can be found around for 37 laks 
( Sorry for going off the topic )

Again....95% of the ones bought down are 1L versions. The 1L engine is a lethargic dog of an engine (carrying on from the previous model). 99% of the ones brought down are shady imports (i.e. not very good cheap cars bought in Japan and then fixed up to make it look nice and shiny by the car importer). Then on top of that most of the users have not taken care of them. If you are looking for an unregistered car fro the same era because you feel it would be in better shape..that too would also be a hit and miss. In Sri Lanka, unregistered (newly imported) or not...it needs to be thoroughly checked.

As for the car itself...again..the 1L engine is dreadful. You will be able to live with it if your usage is 99% in city trafffic. But even then after sometime that engine starts giving the usual 3 cylinder niggles...vibrations, knocks, etc...

Again...most of the cars brought down to SL are base grade cars. 

Interiors of both the models are plasticy (not that they are bad..but they feel plasticy), but the newer model's interior looks very basic and cheap (even in the higher grades when it is not). 

On the plus side...with the newer models you can find vehicles with better safety features.

The 2008/2009 models must have run more than 100,000km by now even if they were only run for 10,000km per year. But there is a high chance the odometers were turned back when they were imported to SL from Japan as reconditioned units. So don't trust the odometer reading and look for a car that is in good condition by checking each component of the car by an expert.

Also, while the Demio is a better alternative to the Vitz, it is really really difficult to find a unit that is in good condition, I know this because I was looking for a Demio for a sometime before I bought the 2016 Vitz Unreg, but I wasn't able to find a decent unit that reached my satisfaction. Almost all of them are with 'baiyas' who have bought them from real owners and then rolled back the odometers and are asking ridiculous prices. So consider yourself lucky if you find a good Demio.

If your finances are alright, you can also buy an unreg Vitz. There are plenty of them in every car sale offering different trim levels and grades etc. However, it is also very rare that you'd come across the 1300cc version and those would also be over-priced for a compact car, if you ever find one. If you're buying from a car sale make sure to verify the auction sheets online because lots of accident damaged cars are fixed and sold here as good ones.

Regarding the size, its only small in length to the Allion/ Premio and they're same in terms of width and Interior space. So the size factor is not really noticeable like someone had mentioned otherwise. However, have to agree on the fact that Allion/Premio are a level above the Vitz when it comes to comfort, given the quality of seat cushions, interior build material, engine noise, vibration etc.

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Again....95% of the ones bought down are 1L versions. The 1L engine is a lethargic dog of an engine (carrying on from the previous model). 99% of the ones brought down are shady imports (i.e. not very good cheap cars bought in Japan and then fixed up to make it look nice and shiny by the car importer). 

Yes almost every car i found was 1L version.

@ghostwriter having said that you brought 2016 Vitz unreg one .
Do you have idea about grades of this vehicle ? I have seen F grade e.t.c, is this auction grade or some other thing  ?
Also one person told me that auction score is 4.5 for his car.

Edited by Shehan_Desha

44 minutes ago, Shehan_Desha said:

Yes almost every car i found was 1L version.

@ghostwriter having said that you brought 2016 Vitz unreg one .
Do you have idea about grades of this vehicle ? I have seen F grade e.t.c, is this auction grade or some other thing  ?
Also one person told me that auction score is 4.5 for his car.

Yes...the 4.5, 5, 3, 3.5 are auction grades...BUT...auction reports get forged when they come to Sri Lanka...infac they get forged the minute they get prepped for shipping by the Sri Lankan car importer owned garage in Japan. DO NOT go with Auction sheets...verify them independantly..then take the car to a place like car checks or the agents and get it checked out. DO NOT assume that the car is good because it is an unregistered car. Our car salesmen are low lives at a different scale.

You will not find 1L variants at car sales. I know a certain doctor who imports cars and he imported a few for permit holders. So it is going ot be really hard to find a 1.3Lunreg Vitz at car sales.

The trim level grades for a VItz you are looking for can be found on the Japanese Toyota site those are the current grades and that is what has been around since 2015 ish...although there have been various manufactuer packages/editions that have happens.

The standard grades are F, U, Jewela (these acme with different package/editions...eg safety ed 1,2,3,.....), RS (which is only a sports trim and nothing psorty about it) which now is GR Sport.

10 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes...the 4.5, 5, 3, 3.5 are auction grades...BUT...auction reports get forged when they come to Sri Lanka...infac they get forged the minute they get prepped for shipping by the Sri Lankan car importer owned garage in Japan. DO NOT go with Auction sheets...verify them independantly..then take the car to a place like car checks or the agents and get it checked out. DO NOT assume that the car is good because it is an unregistered car. Our car salesmen are low lives at a different scale.

Sure i'm planing to check the car from car checks, http://www.carchecksonline.com/  or probably from Toyotalanka. 

16 minutes ago, iRage said:

The standard grades are F, U, Jewela (these acme with different package/editions...eg safety ed 1,2,3,.....), RS (which is only a sports trim and nothing psorty about it) which now is GR Sport.

How to find out this standard grade ? Resonantly i talked with Vitz owner he even don't know the grade of his own car ( He only knows the auction grade ) 

3 hours ago, Shehan_Desha said:

How to find out this standard grade ? Resonantly i talked with Vitz owner he even don't know the grade of his own car ( He only knows the auction grade ) 

and sadly that is the typical Vitz, Premio/Allion Axio user....they have no idea what they have....they only do bare minimum service because they have no idea what else is to be done and that too is being followed based on advice of random person or some clueless oil changing boy at some random service station. They would only know things like auction grade (not that anyone would care about it after 3 or 4 years of use and they are trying to sell it) and fuel efficiency :)

If you look at the ID plate in the engine there is a model code (not the chassis number..it will say MODEL : <xxxxxx-xxxxxx>) you can find out the manufacturer grade from that by comparing it against an EPC. There are also websites where when you enter the chassis numberit will show you the basic info about the car when it was released by the manufacturer in Japan. 

If you are looking at a 2016/2017 ish Vitz (or anything after 2010) you will belooking at a P130 series Vitz....The following grades came in the following engine variants :

F : 1L and 1.3L

Jewela : 1L and 1.3L

U : 1.3L and 1.5L

RS : 1.5L

The 1L 2WD F grade should have the code DBA-KSP130-AHXNK. The 1L Jewela will have the code DBA-KSP130-AHXGK.

The 1.3L F : DBA-NSP130-AHXNB and the 1.3L Jewela : DBA-NSP130-AHZGB, 1.3L U DBA-NSP130-AHZEB

1 hour ago, iRage said:

If you look at the ID plate in the engine there is a model code (not the chassis number..it will say MODEL : <xxxxxx-xxxxxx>) you can find out the manufacturer grade from that by comparing it against an EPC. There are also websites where when you enter the chassis numberit will show you the basic info about the car when it was released by the manufacturer in Japan. 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

F : 1L and 1.3L

Jewela : 1L and 1.3L

U : 1.3L and 1.5L

RS : 1.5L

The 1L 2WD F grade should have the code DBA-KSP130-AHXNK. The 1L Jewela will have the code DBA-KSP130-AHXGK.

The 1.3L F : DBA-NSP130-AHXNB and the 1.3L Jewela : DBA-NSP130-AHZGB, 1.3L U DBA-NSP130-AHZEB

Thank you for the information @iRage. I will check on those.