• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Service History and Second Hand Market Value

Aravinda

7 hours ago, matroska said:

Bottom line- (In a Lankan context) : it's always easier/safer to go for a car with a verified history and ownership despite you have the possibility to get it checked. When you're selling it's always nice to have this ready for the next buyer as he will know what type of oil you've used etc. ect. 

Well..  I cannot agree more. This is exactly what happened when I bought my car( my first ride :) ) 2 years back. It is a near 20 year old Ford Laser(Japanese). I had done plenty of research on seller frauds and kept looking for a good ride for couple of months. It took me by surprise how confident I felt when the previous owner showed me the file with all service records maintained throughout all its 2 previous users. It cannot reveal you everything about the car but surely that is a very strong differentiation for someone who is looking for a genuine ride for personal use(not a buyya).

As you said it was from those records I tracked the next timing belt change, suitable oil type etc etc.

• Like 1

This clearly shows that in future, you have to spend your valuable time in good things not collecting and keeping old bills about a rust bucket...[emoji106]
dude how much time does someone actually waste stashing away a few documents?[emoji2369]

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

Why not?

When I sell my own previous two cars (purchased brand new) , both buyers set their minds to buy my cars, when I just show my maintenance records before they crank the engines. 

When I bought my Lancer CS1 in 2017, I had same feeling when previous owner handed over the maintenance records file to me. She clearly described every maintenance done and even an accident it faced (replaced front door panel at agents and invoice was in the file) . I cross checked her details with agents and she was 100% genuine.  Still this previous owner family maintain very good relationship with me and even read my Autolanka thread on it.

When I bought my lancer very first thing I did was, bought a box file to match my car colour (Matath pissu?)

1.jpg.3ff9389b5acd36ea5294170c312c48d0.jpg

All records are filed in order. Since my car is 13 years old, I maintain a summery for quick reference.

2.thumb.jpg.1f98e850b42403107f512a0967006329.jpg

Car is maintained at the agents from day one. I filled all invoices in order and attach all labels found in spare part packing.  I also maintain a photo gallery in my laptop.

3.thumb.jpg.91d7cf6a146357aedcfffec63eef7a11.jpg

I had two previous owners belong to same family. They had filed even below sheet they received from the agent  after importation.

4.thumb.jpg.c5acc943837ca4d10388e4d0005e263a.jpg

5.jpg

'Reliability' made me to buy this vehicle and I will transfer same to next owner when  I sell this car one day.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Members,

I maintain the petrol record (km to last/ new and consumed liters) book, their I always include the maintenance records. Whenever I sold the used vehicles buyer never wants the records as few members say they want a price reduction.

90% of vehicle dealers do the mileage alteration to get a better price.

This is Sri lanka.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 10:41 PM, Aravinda said:

In Australia, do vehicle owners just maintain a hard copy of the records or are there any sort of facility to help them out with record keeping?

Most regular owners don't bother keeping detailed records (invoices etc.). The only hard copy that's typically available is the vehicle service booklet with the stamp, date and signature confirming that periodic services have been carried out. It's the same booklet that @Sampath Gunasekera has shared in one of his photos above. 

Some enthusiasts of course keep detailed records of the car. If it's a unique car or one that has a following people do keep folders of detailed service history to prove that all major services and repairs have been carried out properly. I'm one of them. :) The workshop gives a pretty detailed invoice and description of work carried out, so I just file it as is. Doesn't require any special effort and the information in there speaks for itself. 

IMG_20200427_235044.thumb.jpg.bad3c034654f822e62716f4c08be023f.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tilvin said:

Hi Moderators,

Why you are removing my comments? I noticed several of my comments are removed without any proper reasons from different posts. This is not nice guys...?.

Thanks.

@tilvin

Sometimes moderators/admins remove comments when we feel it's out of the topic or it may cause unnecessary fights between members. If we find that member keep repeating the same mistake then we will give warning. Sometime we may not have time to give reasons for each post we remove as most of the posts we remove falls into the two categories which I have mentioned above.

Cheers

5 hours ago, MADZ said:

@tilvin

Sometimes moderators/admins remove comments when we feel it's out of the topic or it may cause unnecessary fights between members. If we find that member keep repeating the same mistake then we will give warning. Sometime we may not have time to give reasons for each post we remove as most of the posts we remove falls into the two categories which I have mentioned above.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply MADZ. I will not agree with your comment on this. In several instances, I have seen my comments are being removed without any proper reasons.

For example in this post - there is a comment made by a user who is bearing a name Sylvi defaming my country - Sri Lanka without any proper evidence,

On 5/4/2020 at 7:04 AM, Sylvi said:

90% of vehicle dealers do the mileage alteration to get a better price.

This is Sri lanka.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

As moderators, did you guys anybody take action to remove the comment of the user Sylvi or taking any action against him for defaming my mother land like this?

When I have written a comment regarding this, you have removed my comment. Is this the way you treat the valuable members like me?

Please think about.

Thanks.

Edited by tilvin

10 hours ago, tilvin said:

Thanks for the reply MADZ. I will not agree with your comment on this. In several instances, I have seen my comments are being removed without any proper reasons.

For example in this post - there is a comment made by a user who is bearing a name Sylvi defaming my country - Sri Lanka without any proper evidence,

As moderators, did you guys anybody take action to remove the comment of the user Sylvi or taking any action against him for defaming my mother land like this?

When I have written a comment regarding this, you have removed my comment. Is this the way you treat the valuable members like me?

Please think about.

Thanks.

Dude... seriously... what's with you these days? This is not your usual behaviour...

In that post, Sylvi says 90% of dealers alter the odometer. This is a well known fact. The percentage may not be correct but most dealers do that. Remember its dealers and not general public. Stop getting your knickers on a twist and move on.