• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importation of a car older than 3 years old

Virenmg

3 hours ago, kadsa98 said:

I know an old relative of a friend of mine did that for a prado he was eyeing ? But you need friends in very high places.

Bro let's meet in the alleyway. Come at 12am,wear a hoodie if possible. I got a reliant robin I need to bring down. 

Edited by AVANTE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/19/2020 at 4:57 PM, iRage said:

In the past there was an option to go to the Ministry of Finance and Customs Department...get special approval and bring it down; hitch was they tax you based on CC and you end up paying the same amount of duty as a brand new car. So unless it was a really really rare car..it really was not worth it (think of paying the same price for a M4 Supra as a brand new one). Then they changed it where you can get a permit for a classic car but you need to get the green light from the CCCSL stating that what you are bringing down categorizes as a classic car. Not sure if any of these are still an option. Call p the customs department and ask..they are quite good at giving info.

Carnet is exactly as what Crosswinds described. In the past..when someone brings the car through carnet...the local authorities gave the option of disposing the car locally, provided that the applicable taxes be paid (this was a time where they still had the depreciation table and taxes were X% of the depreciated value). Our car salesmen totaly and utterly abused it and brought down everythign from old Japanese econo boxes to old SUVs. The authorities wised up to it and then took away the option to dispose the vehicle locally...but the locals still found ways to get over it by swapping books and such...and then the authorities prety much clamped down on carnet permits and even if you got it..it was for 6 months and needed to be renewed every 6 months up to 1.5 years or something.

Most of the car sales and brokers will be looking for Corollas and Sunnies at port auctions. However, there are a few enthusiasts who always go looking for rare gems. So if you do get down the Supra or the Rover..you will have some competiton from local enthusiasts (the plus side is..most of these guys are amazing people..so you would get to ride it once in a while :D)

May I ask you WHY you like the Supra ? Is it for the fandome ? or is there a specific reason ? There are plenty of other legal options to get a fun and interesting car (even get a 2JZ-GTE engine in some cars) since you seem to be okay with spending for it.

Thank u soo much for your insight.

I liked the supra cuz its an iconic JDM car and since I'm not one of those very rich people with very deep pockets I think I won't bringing down a supra.

6 hours ago, Virenmg said:

Thank u soo much for your insight.

I liked the supra cuz its an iconic JDM car and since I'm not one of those very rich people with very deep pockets I think I won't bringing down a supra.

fair enough....there were a few Supras in SL ...a few years ago they exchanged hands around the 5mil mark on average and then all of a sudden some of the same cars appered closer at 10mil.

iam guessing you are not in to the whole converted craze ? If so you do get quite a few Evos and WRXs...but you also find some really good originals. If you really want to feel the hypnotic feeling of the JZ...then you could alsways look at a few JZ converted Chasers. Not sure about your budget but have you looked at something like a GT86 ? Not a power house but when you feel the handling it all makes sense and throws you back to the good old days.

10 hours ago, iRage said:

fair enough....there were a few Supras in SL ...a few years ago they exchanged hands around the 5mil mark on average and then all of a sudden some of the same cars appered closer at 10mil.

iam guessing you are not in to the whole converted craze ? If so you do get quite a few Evos and WRXs...but you also find some really good originals. If you really want to feel the hypnotic feeling of the JZ...then you could alsways look at a few JZ converted Chasers. Not sure about your budget but have you looked at something like a GT86 ? Not a power house but when you feel the handling it all makes sense and throws you back to the good old days.

Yah I did dig bout the conversions but I'm a little worried that these local baases wont be able to do that much of a complicated conversion.

16 hours ago, Virenmg said:

Yah I did dig bout the conversions but I'm a little worried that these local baases wont be able to do that much of a complicated conversion.

Actually the baases can do the conversion. It's the legality that you should be worried about these days. 

Edited by AVANTE

17 hours ago, Virenmg said:

The conversions have been done quite well actually. You will be surprised what the "baases" do..it is just that thee baases are not the baases that charge 2500Rs for a full tune up and full engine overhaul. So the work is pretty solid (of the known ones) that is, especially the ones who actully go to the extent of adding the extra reinforcing welds and such.

Like @AVANTE mentioned it is the legality of it that is the issue. Some actually go through the process of updating the book (granted by making friends inside the department), most don't. 

8 hours ago, iRage said:

The conversions have been done quite well actually. You will be surprised what the "baases" do..it is just that thee baases are not the baases that charge 2500Rs for a full tune up and full engine overhaul. So the work is pretty solid (of the known ones) that is, especially the ones who actully go to the extent of adding the extra reinforcing welds and such.

Like @AVANTE mentioned it is the legality of it that is the issue. Some actually go through the process of updating the book (granted by making friends inside the department), most don't. 

The book updating is the issue I did read about converting a JZX100 with a 1JZ or a Crown with a 1JZ or a Laurel with a RB25. All of them do seem tempting.

10 hours ago, Virenmg said:

The book updating is the issue I did read about converting a JZX100 with a 1JZ or a Crown with a 1JZ or a Laurel with a RB25. All of them do seem tempting.

No need to replace: Some models of the Laurel did come with RB25 variants and I believe a member here has something special like that or something very similar if I remember correctly...:D ! 

Edited by Kavvz

On 4/18/2020 at 9:42 PM, Kavvz said:

Sadly no straight 6 on the P5B, it came with a V8 instead,  but its a beautiful car! I hope you get your hands on one @Virenmg

(Am also tickled-pink that it was available as a 4-door coupe. So Mecercedes can stop with the whole "We created the 4-door coupe segment with the CLS" nonsense I suppose! Rover had them beat by around 50 years! :D

Meanwhile there maybe some of them here already given how lovely it looks and its history (seems like it was popular amongst the well-to-do back in the day, which means there's a good probablilty some got imported to Sri Lanka / Ceylon).

Too bad @MasterDon isn't around. I bet he'd know if there were any here...

I'm here! ?

No P5 coupes here as far as I know. a couple of sedans.

The classic car importation scheme is there, for now. Its just like regular car import(tax based on engine capacity), but you need to be a member and have approval of the Classic Car Club of Ceylon...my signature coincidentally, since I'm one the two secretaries of the Club.

Since you mentioned the first gen CLS..here's mine!

20200122_055108.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MasterDon said:

I'm here! ?

The classic car importation scheme is there, for now. Its just like regular car import(tax based on engine capacity), but you need to be a member and have approval of the Classic Car Club of Ceylon...my signature coincidentally, since I'm one the two secretaries of the Club.

20200122_055108.jpg

Well Hello-hello and what an attention grabbing picture! I love it: Happy to see ole MasterDon rolling in style. A totally rad ride...:D What engine is it rocking? 

(Also: I didn't know you were such an influencial fellow, able to sign things and grant approvals Et al. at the CCCC? Jeez! I shall have to make a mental note to start being nicer to you...)

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, MasterDon said:

20200122_055108.jpg

The lighting and the fallen down leaves totally add to the car's character...gentlemanly menacing :D

So... @Virenmg....now your question should be...would a Supra be qualified as a Classic Car by the CCCC/SL ?

But seriously...consider whether it really is worth it before you go knocking on doors and making presentations to convince people :) 

6 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

The say dogs and their owners sometimes look alike but...I guess in this case the car too now?! ?

There was a Honda advertisement sometime back....it just showed peoples' faces with their Hondas...and the faces looked the same...so yeah....owners start looking like their cars or cars like their owners. Hate to think what that would say about Prius owners :D

Here is the advert:

Edited by iRage
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, iRage said:

There was a Honda advertisement sometime back....it just showed peoples' faces with their Hondas...and the faces looked the same...so yeah....owners start looking like their cars or cars like their owners. Hate to think what that would say about Prius owners :D

Here is the advert:

Whoa! Seriously cool ad! I was going to say the Toyota Prius doesn't look that bad, but then I saw the Honda Clarity Honda Insight and remembered how aweful the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Prius was lol !! :D But really clever ad...

Edited by Kavvz

9 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Am I the only one whos thinking of abducting you?

LOL

I have very little to do with anything. The decisions are made by much cleverer/senior committee members than I. Also the CCC has halted issuing any such documents now.

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

A M272 with 268 hp and 350 N⋅m then? Oh mama! :D 

..and he needs every single one of those horses and every ounce of torque to outrun all the crazy people trying to abduct him.

Getting back on topic....there are a few original 2JZ powered old Crowns and Aristos around SL...would that be an option ? 

The 2JZ-GTE was intended for the Aristo..Not the Supra (in fact the Supra has always had borrowed parts). So in many ways having a 2JZ Aristo is more of being a purist than a Supra :) 

• Haha 3

On 4/23/2020 at 8:43 AM, MasterDon said:

I'm here! ?

20200122_055108.jpg

Wow now that's looker

On 4/22/2020 at 10:00 PM, Kavvz said:

No need to replace: Some models of the Laurel did come with RB25 variants and I believe a member here has something special like that or something very similar if I remember correctly...:D ! 

Laurels are quite hard to come by these days

On 4/23/2020 at 9:58 AM, iRage said:

The lighting and the fallen down leaves totally add to the car's character...gentlemanly menacing :D

So... @Virenmg....now your question should be...would a Supra be qualified as a Classic Car by the CCCC/SL ?

But seriously...consider whether it really is worth it before you go knocking on doors and making presentations to convince people :) 

I dont think the supra is a classic car and I think i would most likely do a conversion.