• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

TOYOTA HARRIER - New 2021, 4th Generation XU80

Car Lover

Was browsing through some pics on the Toyota site and just noticed that although the Harrier logo is not there on the exterior...it is there in the interior...

So the exterior images might be just from a production ready prototype for marketing and actual JDM variant will have the Harrier logo or Toyota might just do something wierd and stick to what it is right now

20200413_01_10.jpg

and a lot gets explained....Toyota US has confirmed the revival of the Toyota Venza for the 20/21 model year. AND it is the Harrier ! Explains why the images so far had the Toyota logo. This also means that the Harrier might get the traditional Harrier logo (which explains why the interior pics had the Harrier logo). Nothing is confirmed though...but the Harrier is the new Venza in the US

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33523/the-toyota-venza-is-back-for-2021-with-sharper-looks-and-more-luxury?fbclid=IwAR0pF5hdtlrBWyBbykA1ytM8IrpF5gCZUE5DyODmybC82D1AHCK3E-tsdS4

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1589813578881-2021toyotavenza_exterior_002.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.4.1&s=3bd8d57eeeca8b7f47c788751809aacdhttps%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1589813664633-2021toyotavenza_interior_012.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.4.1&s=97847c822259bbad36bac41452ba711f

42 minutes ago, iRage said:

and a lot gets explained....Toyota US has confirmed the revival of the Toyota Venza for the 20/21 model year. AND it is the Harrier ! Explains why the images so far had the Toyota logo. This also means that the Harrier might get the traditional Harrier logo (which explains why the interior pics had the Harrier logo). Nothing is confirmed though...but the Harrier is the new Venza in the US

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33523/the-toyota-venza-is-back-for-2021-with-sharper-looks-and-more-luxury?fbclid=IwAR0pF5hdtlrBWyBbykA1ytM8IrpF5gCZUE5DyODmybC82D1AHCK3E-tsdS4

I was little surprise to see Harrier has smaller tires than the Venza. Older Venza come with 245/55/R19 or 245/50/R20.

image.thumb.png.c66f792474b89d3b27e8eb8c3eaf870c.png

2 hours ago, kmeeg said:

I was little surprise to see Harrier has smaller tires than the Venza. Older Venza come with 245/55/R19 or 245/50/R20.

Any advantage in having larger rims? Aren't 19's (or even 18's) with a bigger sidewall better overall (comfort wise as well as cost) on an SUV/CUV? 

Edited by Kavvz

34 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Any advantage in having larger rims? Aren't 19's (or even 18's) with a bigger sidewall better overall (comfort wise as well as cost) on an SUV/CUV? 

....but then you don't get to look like a "baller" from the 'hood @Kavvz?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

I don't know if its the low profile tires make it more nimble in corners or design itself, its very easy to drive on curvy mountain roads. But in general I don't like larger wheels with low profile tires. I like smaller wheels and more rubber. I replaced 245/55/R19 stock with 255/55/R19 but still not much rubber.

IMG_2800 (1).jpg

Edited by kmeeg

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

I don't know if its the low profile tires make it more nimble in corners or design itself, its very easy to drive on curvy mountain roads. But in general I don't like larger wheels with low profile tires. I like smaller wheels and more rubber. I replaced 245/55/R19 stock with 255/55/R19 but still not much rubber.

That's a very aggressive looking tread block pattern with pretty big tread voids: What is that? Some kind of winter / very aggressive all weather tyre? They must have been noisey on the highway though, I bet? 

(I think more rubber on the sidewalls is the way to go too for comfort and everyday use. Even handling and acceleration wise I seem to recall reading somewhere that 17 inch wheels with low-profile tires out performed other combos...Current trends seem to dictate otherwise though, and I'm quite annoyed to see even standard passenger car wheels and SUV/CUV wheels creeping towards the 19's and 20's- Cool style-wise but quite the bummer comfort and fuel economy wise! ) Having said that @Devinda_Z I did come across some beautiful 19 inch -offset /  'bokku' wheels + low profile tires on a 335i coupe recently that left me weak at the knees! Very baller-ish!:D )  

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

That's a very aggressive looking tread block pattern with pretty big tread voids: What is that? Some kind of winter / very aggressive all weather tyre? They must have been noisey on the highway though, I bet? 

They are Continental Terrain Contact All Terrain 255/55/R19 XL load. Since its All Terrain a fraction noisier than stock  tires and been Load rating XL  with stiffer side walls over SL stock tires I could feel the bumps little more.

Just now, kmeeg said:

They are Continental Terrain Contact All Terrain 255/55/R19 XL load. Since its All Terrain a fraction noisier than stock  tires and been Load rating XL  with stiffer side walls over SL stock tires I could feel the bumps little more.

Ah...How come the change?  (As they are stiffer / less comfortable? Does the Venza see a bit of rough road use or get loaded up quite a bit?) 

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

Ah...How come the change?  (As they are stiffer / less comfortable? Does the Venza see a bit of rough road use or get loaded up quite a bit?) 

Just for the looks machan. Never seen a rough road.

We better not hijack this 2021 Toyota Harrier thread to talk about previous generation Venza. LoL ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Just for the looks machan. Never seen a rough road.

We better not hijack this 2021 Toyota Harrier thread to talk about previous generation Venza. LoL ?

Well...the Venza was a bit of a lazy pooch that was rather underwhelming in the looks department wasn't it ? It was a mid range family hauler and I agree with the article...no one really missed it when it was pulled off the product listing. But now the Venza has gone upscale thanks to the Harrier. Although, I have to admit..the Venza variant looks a bit cheap compared to the Harrier...that front looks more plasticy.  I suppose it could be the color combination and the finishing effect on the grill and stuff

Edited by iRage

19 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...the Venza was a bit of a lazy pooch that was rather underwhelming in the looks department wasn't it ? It was a mid range family hauler and I agree with the article...no one really missed it when it was pulled off the product listing. But now the Venza has gone upscale thanks to the Harrier. Although, I have to admit..the Venza variant looks a bit cheap compared to the Harrier...that front looks more plasticy.  I suppose it could be the color combination and the finishing effect on the grill and stuff

@kmeegnow look who's digressing ??

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well....June 17th came along and the Harrier officially went on sale today. Nothing newer than what has been mentioned before. The external logo remains Toyota and internal logo remains the Harrier old...The interior does feel nice and luxurious...looking forward to a test drive soon.

Prices pretty much remain the same. 965d58b31af88c17576a406818e68a50.jpg?_ga=2.196259243.68852424.1592142485-24795085.1578114404

0647aa37a15918f4e47a4cbb219e47d3.jpg?_ga=2.33367865.68852424.1592142485-24795085.1578114404

Toyota also announced some GR parts for the new Harrier. This is NOT the GR Sport...just some GR inspired cosmetic bits and some stabs to make it a bit more stiffer...I must say..it looks much better as an elegant cruiser than something sporty...

RES_335665_1_1.jpgRES_335665_1_3.jpgIf you visit the Toyota Japan site you will see the TRD/Modellista kits as well...

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Toyota also announced some GR parts for the new Harrier. This is NOT the GR Sport...just some GR inspired cosmetic bits and some stabs to make it a bit more stiffer...I must say..it looks much better as an elegant cruiser than something sporty...

RES_335665_1_1.jpgRES_335665_1_3.jpgIf you visit the Toyota Japan site you will see the TRD/Modellista kits as well...

Rice rice baby @iRage :P

1 hour ago, Car Lover said:

Also they've published an apple to apple comparison of 3rd Gen vs 4th Gen versions. You may refer link below for details. 

https://toyota.jp/harrier/compare/?padid=from_harrier_top_compare_banner

Decreased battery capacity and hybrid motor horse power and compensated with  output improvement of the Engine by moving to direct injection from port injection. Wonder if it can run on our regular  92 petrol without blocking the injectors and fuel pump.

12 hours ago, vag2 said:

Decreased battery capacity and hybrid motor horse power and compensated with  output improvement of the Engine by moving to direct injection from port injection. Wonder if it can run on our regular  92 petrol without blocking the injectors and fuel pump.

Was this a serious question or a sarcastic one ? :D 

Checked out the car last week...it definitely is more luxo and more pavement princess like than the old one. Going for a test drive next week. Ones I know who have driven it like it more than the previous one...but apparently not a car to be thrown around on a weekend family outing :)

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Was this a serious question or a sarcastic one ? :D

well it says so in the comparison page in Japanese.

Interesting is why they are shifting away from Hybrid and focusing on improving the IC-engine, by the introduction of Direct Injection also in an established Model.

It wont be surprising if the next generation Harrier comes without Hybrid at all, or Full electric.

Edited by vag2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, vag2 said:

well it says so in the comparison page in Japanese.

Interesting is why they are shifting away from Hybrid and focusing on improving the IC-engine, by the introduction of Direct Injection also in an established Model.

It wont be surprising if the next generation Harrier comes without Hybrid at all, or Full electric.

hard to say where Toyota is going...on one hand they are developing ICEs with Mazda and on their own. Then on the other they are heavily investing in fuel cell vehicles...seems like they want to get their hands on all the bases so they have a major stake in which ever direction it goes.